RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 3:21 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile Realistic PRO-21A

I recently bought a Realistic PRO-21A on an eBay auction. This is a 4-channel crystal-controlled pocket scanner that covers the VHF and UHF hi-lo bands; it uses 4 AA batteries and runs off 6VDC wall power, too,

These went for $129.95 in the 1982 Radio Shack catalog ("New for '82!"), and crystals were $4.95 apiece.

This radio came with a metal belt clip, two antennas (!!!) with screw-in attachment (No BNC or SMA in those days), and an earphone. One of the included antennas is a rubber duck type, and the other is a telescoping metal rod.

I remember my old PRO-4 had a plug-in for the antenna that was identical to the earphone jack next to it, and you had to buy the antenna separately...and it too was $4.95, the same price as that of a crystal <g>.

My PRO-21A was, incredibly, still packaged as it came from the factory, in a sealed plastic bag with silica gel envelope, and though the box was a bit battered, everything inside it was pristeen.

Why did I buy it?

Well, the price was very reasonable, yes, but mostly I got it for sentimental reasons.

After all these years and all the cutting-edge receivers I own, I'm still enraptured by those little flashing red LEDs...
Sponsored links
Old 03-16-2010, 11:07 PM

Talking Crystal Scanner

[QUOTE=
After all these years and all the cutting-edge receivers I own, I'm still enraptured by those little flashing red LEDs...[/QUOTE]

That's the same reason I still have a Bearcat 8 L/H/U 8 channel crystal scanner on my desk. The flashing red leds bring back memories of my first Pro 4 (which if I ever find one I'm buying it) when I was 15 and introduced into scanning by a family friend. I had gotten it for chistmas and knew it was under the tree. And when I was in the house alone I would carefully open the present, listen to the local PD and FD and carefully put it back under the tree before anyone came home!
Various Scanners, SW Receivers and Ham Radios.