Radio shack scanner repair service??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickS31

Having just gone through warranty repair through the Shack for my 106, I can guess. The charge to take it in and ship it to the repair center is $20. I've heard estimates around $35 an hour for actual repair time. I can't believe that problem would be more than an hour. They'll also insure it's up-to-date and tweaked to factory specs. If you take it in to your local store, insure you ask for the manager. The other sales folks usually don't have a clue. Also, check back with the store often to insure they shipped it out. Mine sat 6 days there before actually going on it's way to the repair center. Of course you'll also be charged for the repair parts themselves.

You could do it yourself but the disassembly and reassembly, unless you're an experienced service guy, could do more harm than good. Not to mention getting the part(s).

All in all, pretty reasonable for this device. Cheaper than replacing it.

Wahoos4Life

Having just gone through warranty repair through the Shack for my 106, I can guess. The charge to take it in and ship it to the repair center is $20. I've heard estimates around $35 an hour for actual repair time. I can't believe that problem would be more than an hour. They'll also insure it's up-to-date and tweaked to factory specs. If you take it in to your local store, insure you ask for the manager. The other sales folks usually don't have a clue. Also, check back with the store often to insure they shipped it out. Mine sat 6 days there before actually going on it's way to the repair center. Of course you'll also be charged for the repair parts themselves.

You could do it yourself but the disassembly and reassembly, unless you're an experienced service guy, could do more harm than good. Not to mention getting the part(s).

All in all, pretty reasonable for this device. Cheaper than replacing it.
sounds good, for some reason I herd or was thinking $150

RickS31

Well, like I said, this was totally a guess. I know they call you once they've determined the cost to repair. From others that have them repair their scanners, I thought they were pretty reasonable. Might discuss it with the manager to get a better idea.

hosk202

If it's just the rubber keypad, I don't see why it would be more than 10 or 12 dollars... That's a shame. :(

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
the keypad needs replaced. the center button and the left arrow button have fallen out. How do I do it myself?

RSU part number 12469052 for the KEY TOP will cost you $13.95 plus tax and shipping and is in stock. To replace this part, remove the 4? screws that hold the case together. I do not have a 106 in hand but there might be 4 additional screws that hold the circuit board to the front case. Once these screws are removes, the front case should separate from the circuit board. Pull off the old KEY TOP and replace with the new one. Reassemble the radio and you are done.

OR

Send the radio to repair. If the radio is less that 1 year old, repair will be free. If older than 1 year, repair should be somewhere less than $60 plus parts. (I am not at the store to look up the basic repair charge for this radio). By sending the radio to the RS repair center, the radio will be tuned to factory specs.

Wahoos4Life

Yea I just took it apart, appears to be 6 screws holding the circuit board down . this seems pretty simple, aslong as I dont rip any of the wires lol

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Radio shack stores and phone departments are saying they dont carry the keypads anymore, what do i do?

Not sure who you talked to but they CAN order the part through the POS system from RSU Parts using the part number provided below. Tell them it is a RSU part and not a stock item. RSU parts have 8 digits in the part number compared to the 7 digits for normal stock items. Note: Franchise stores tend to have problems ordering parts while company stores have a RSU key on the POS keyboard.

Wahoos4Life

Not sure who you talked to but they CAN order the part through the POS system from RSU Parts using the part number provided below. Tell them it is a RSU part and not a stock item. RSU parts have 8 digits in the part number compared to the 7 digits for normal stock items. Note: Franchise stores tend to have problems ordering parts while company stores have a RSU key on the POS keyboard.

is there anywhere online i can order the part myself

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Either of the two stores in Charlottesville can order the part or any of the stores in Richmond can order the part.

Wahoos4Life

Either of the two stores in Charlottesville can order the part or any of the stores in Richmond can order the part.

I tried my Stores in cville, Nobody there seemed to have a clue what an RSU number was. I called the radio shack 1800 number and got no help there either. Called GRE, they said to call Radioshack ,Radioshack said to call GRE. I am now down 2 buttons in arrow part of the keypad.all I have left is right and down.

RickS31

You absolutely need to deal with the manager of the store(s). I never got a satisfactory answer from anyone but him. They know all of their systems including the repair and POS ones. Next time call first and find out and talk with the manager before you make the trek to the stores. I'm speaking totally from experience.

Michael-SATX

This can be ordered inside a Radio Shack store !

RSU part number 12469052 for the KEY TOP will cost you $13.95 plus tax and shipping and is in stock !
This part will fix your keyboard woes on your Pro-106 and call ahead to get a manager that know the deal.
GQQD luck and enjoy your scanner...

airfixpilot

Keypad replacement

I too have a problem with an Realistic PRO43, the keypad needs replacing. How much and were can I get one from in the US. I live in the UK, but I can get it fixed, if I get the part. If anyone knows an email of a shop please forward, so I can ask.

Thanks

Airfixpilot/ David

R

retiredmich

call these people.

G&G COMMUNICATIONS
Gerry Oliver - Owner
7825 Black Street Rd., LeRoy, N.Y. 14482
Phone: 585-768-8151
Click Here to email us
Click Here for our alternate email address

Status