pro-106 pc programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

photo1prod

Can anyone please tell me what steps you must take ,on the pro-106, to get it in the PC program mode. I can not find it in the manual. I have tried pressing PGM and turning the radio on and all I get is wait for PC/IF. I have tried both stereo and mono cables. Thanks in advance.

RickS31

I just happen to be on the forum seeing your question. I've had no problem with the 106 going into program mode with both Scan ID (you do have to tell it what comm port you drivers are on) and also Win500 for actual programming. Both packages find it fine. If you think you can go into programming the scanner without a proper software package, then that's a problem. Need to fill the crew in with what you're trying to do. Lots of great help here but need lots more info.

By the by, you can't use a standard stereo cable. The 106 requires a USB to serial convertor cable. That is the Radio Shack 20-047 programming cable or it's GRE equivalent (about $30).

You typically don't need to tell or set the scanner to anything. It does so automatically when data is sent to or received from the scanner with the proper software package and cable.

Fill the crew in for more specific info.

Last edited:

Highpockets

Can anyone please tell me what steps you must take ,on the pro-106, to get it in the PC program mode. I can not find it in the manual. I have tried pressing PGM and turning the radio on and all I get is wait for PC/IF. I have tried both stereo and mono cables. Thanks in advance.

If you have the programming cable and your using Win500 software here is a Guide to get you started. I also posted the link for Win500 software (30 day free trial)

Win500: PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-106, PRO-197 Scanner Software for Data Management, Monitoring, and Control

http://utahradio.org/mediawiki/index.php/WIN500

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
For CPU upgrade you are correct - Hold PRG then turn radio on and do not use the short pigtail. Insure you've selected correct comport.

Also if upgrading to V 1.8 make sure you are using correct upgrade. One is for boot 1.1 and other for boot 1.4. Opps, this is for PSR radios.106 has only 1.

Last edited:

photo1prod

Thanks Rick, I got it to see the radio, using arc500 , I successfully loaded some frequencies but the radio is now showing "nothing enabled". I went to the menu and "enabled" the lists but to no avail, it still reads "nothing enabled" The radio is communicating with the PC but I must be missing a step...the ns icon still appears after enabling the lists, very annoying, any Ideas?

Highpockets

For CPU upgrade you are correct - Hold PRG then turn radio on and do not use the short pigtail. Insure you've selected correct comport.

Also if upgrading to V 1.8 make sure you are using correct upgrade. One is for boot 1.1 and other for boot 1.4.

Wow! Did I read his post wrong? I'm getting up there in age. :D

photo1prod

To all, I have managed to make the radio see the scan lists but it only sees one talk group out of 2oo+ downloaded....have tried manually to scroll thru but it only shows one talk group, I think I'll reset it to factory settings and manually program it...I'll let you know if it is successful

Thanks for your input
TW

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
To all, I have managed to make the radio see the scan lists but it only sees one talk group out of 2oo+ downloaded....have tried manually to scroll thru but it only shows one talk group, I think I'll reset it to factory settings and manually program it...I'll let you know if it is successful

Thanks for your input
TW
In ARC500, click Talkgroup under Scanable Objects of Objects Browser. Then insure all objects are assigned a Scanlist (third column). Double click any vacant cell for a popup to assign talkgroup to at least 1 of 20 list. You can multi list if desired.
Wow! Did I read his post wrong? I'm getting up there in age. :D
You had it correct...I didn't. :p

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I had a simlar problem programming , I have the correct cable and downloaded the software but can not get it to work. Any suggestions ?
Win500, PSREdit and ScanControl will auto find the correct comport when you attempt to down/upload. ARC500 will offer a popup for selection of comport. However, with ScanCat Lite the user must select scanner type and comport. Comport can be found in Device Manager by expanding the + or ► next to Ports (COM & LPT).

Important: Do not use the short mono pigtail.

RickS31

I had a simlar problem programming , I have the correct cable and downloaded the software but can not get it to work. Any suggestions ?

Did you load the cable drivers that came with the cable? If so did you follow the sequence outlined in the driver load instructions (drivers first, plugin cable second)? This can be the trickiest part if done incorrectly and will definitely keep it from working or discovered by the software. Just a thought.

kf4sek

Turn the scanner off and unplug the cable on the computer side (USB) only. Wait a few seconds and plug the cable back into the USB on the computer. Turn the scanner back on. This should fix this problem. If it does not, close the software and repeat the steps I listed above. Then reopen the software. If it still doesn't work, verify you have the right port selected in the software.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.