RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 9:55 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Pro-444

Regarding the the new Pro-444 on the Radio Shack site...

I like the small form factor however the RR Wiki only shows a coverage range of 450-467Mhz. Odd in that the NASCAR Wiki Page has a significant number of frequencies listed in the 467-469Mhz range.

Anyone heard any more info on it? The Radio Shack page lists 'Tech Specs' of 1000 Channels with 25-1300Mhz coverage and Signal Stalker. Sounds a little much for $99.99 radio designed for NASCAR fans.
Sponsored links
Old 08-28-2010, 10:08 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Personally, I would believe the Radio Shack site on this and not the Wiki. I have never seen anyone produce a scanner with such a narrow range as what is cited there. Whomever submitted the data, either put the info in correctly or really had no idea of what the coverage is. Unfortunately, just another example of the problems with Wiki's - they are only as good as the data submitted.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:21 AM

Looks like a RS version of GRE's race scanner that they showed at the CES show this year. This seems like a better race scanner than Uniden's 330 which was over kill for a race fan with trucking and fire tone out. The 330 was a good radio just made for the wrong market.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ah... thanks for the tip

Found KC8NNO's review of the PSR-110 and some specs from the Universal Radio site.

I like the quote from UR:
Quote:
Frequency coverage is just 450-467 MHz! It is therefore virtually immune to out-of-band interference.
Too bad you miss the race transmissions from 467-470Mhz! Doh!
Old 08-28-2010, 12:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Found the the Pro-444 in the FCC Database
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...=%27ADV0704%27

The PSR-110 is at
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...7ADV0704901%27

-They emissions tested it from 450-470Mhz however a draft of the instruction manual shows the specifications go from 450-467Mhz. Label on the back of the PSR-110 lists "Freq. Range: 450-470 MHz".

-The Test Reports say that the "The EUT contains a permanently attached antenna." The Universal Radio specs for the PSR-110 says "Antenna BNC 50 ohm".

Last edited by n8zrp; 08-28-2010 at 12:42 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 07-05-2011, 3:15 AM

I just picked up a Pro-444 on impulse and it indeed does cover up to 470 mhz.

It has FOUR audio jacks, two for each channel (A/B) of a different size. Accomodates headsets with mics so that you have a nice intercom. I don't have a racing headset with a mic, so I can't try that out, but for sure this is pretty cool. The different size jack options means one less adapter to forget when you get to the track. Cell-phone audio is attached to the PC/IF/Phone jack on the right. If you have a racing headset with a microphone, you can talk to the phone.

Antenna is indeed a fixed stubby - no way to change it. Squeezing the antenna feels just like a thick solid rod inside the plastic covering.

Charging can be done in the radio and is set for a 14 hour slow charge. Most of us won't do that internally anyway. Switch inside battery compartment for alkaline / nimh. Takes 3 cells, so if one is going to charge externally, it is best to get a quality charger that can handle odd cells - charging each cell individually. Uniden owners know what I'm talking about.

Programming by hand isn't that hard, but it isn't obvious if you don't have the manual. And once you program in a car/freq, there seems to be no way to delete it later! The only thing you can do is lock it out, or add to it. I'll look into this some more. Without the manual or some practice, I'll bet that many just power-cycle it.

Quick setup:

To scan - hold the CAR button for 2 seconds. To stop scanning, hold the CAR button again for two seconds.

SQUELCH: Edit > Setting > SQ
Adjust to taste.

Volume: Tap the FUNC button.

Backing out of menus / edits: Tap the edit button repeatedly to go back. Not intuitive, but it works.

Radio is convex on the bottom! So radio rocks around when set on flat surface. I would have liked a flat surface with rounded edges instead of making the entire bottom convex.

Last edited by hertzian; 07-05-2011 at 3:25 AM..
Old 07-05-2011, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzian View Post
The different size jack options means one less adapter to forget when you get to the track.
Sorry guys - epic fail.

The two larger 1/8 jacks on the side are for earphones. The smaller jack(s) are for the mic inputs for those headsets that have the two-plug setup.
Old 09-19-2013, 8:53 PM

Guys, this is my first post to the forum. I realize this is an old thread, but I bought a Pro-444 the other day as it was on clearance for $19.97.

I don't know much about scanning. The only experience I've had was with my SC150B, a Uniden model I bought at a NASCAR race years ago. I used it so infrequently that I had to re-learn how to use it every time I took it out, and it was quite the PITA. I know that probably sounds silly to the more experienced among you.

I bought this scanner for a specific use. We use scanners for pit to driver communications in arrive and drive kart racing. We have a radio in the pit, and the driver listens to the frequency on the scanner. It's basically a lower cost option to full on two-way radio communications. Obviously this is one way, but it works for our purposes. It's cheap, highly portable, and unobtrusive in the kart. I have a Raceceiver as well, which works great.

Anyway, I looked high and low on the internet to find info on a cheap scanner for racing, and I found a lot of good info on this forum. In fact this is where I learned about the Pro-444. In the spirit of the forum I figured I'd share in case somebody else could use the info.

Btw, if anybody does know how to erase frequencies on this scanner, I'd love to know how to do it. It's the only thing I haven't figured out yet.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:37 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I know with most scanners if you put in a new frequency it will overwrite the current entry. While that doesn't get rid of all the entries it will allow you to put in the frequencies you need and you can lock out the remainder.
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2013, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzian View Post
Antenna is indeed a fixed stubby - no way to change it.
It should be easy enough to disconnect it inside the scanner and add a BNC connector.
Old 09-21-2013, 3:21 PM

Deleting memories was kind of a problem - but in practice this sufficed:

Deleting frequencies Pro 444

Also, no desire to mod it for a bnc connector - as the most common tip at the track is to use a small stubby anyway.
Old 01-20-2014, 9:59 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have searched the net, but can't seem to find any actual info supporting the extended coverage claimed on some pages (25~1300) - however I'm hoping there may be some way to reset the scanner or mod the little guy to unlock the coverage.

I'm also wondering if there's a way to add banks. the specs call for 1000 channel/20 banks and its only programmed for a handful of race series. It'd be nice to be able to set up additional race series banks, customized for what i want to listen to.

thoughts?
Old 01-20-2014, 8:40 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Pro-444

Have you downloaded the software? It's free you can add banks name them and change the stored frequencies.
RadioShack.com

The radio is now $9.97 on the radio shack clearance site if you can find one in stock near you. I bought one during the summer for $15 on clearance,
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...odsInSession=1
Les

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3LOY View Post
I have searched the net, but can't seem to find any actual info supporting the extended coverage claimed on some pages (25~1300) - however I'm hoping there may be some way to reset the scanner or mod the little guy to unlock the coverage.

I'm also wondering if there's a way to add banks. the specs call for 1000 channel/20 banks and its only programmed for a handful of race series. It'd be nice to be able to set up additional race series banks, customized for what i want to listen to.

thoughts?
http://W8MSP.com
E-Mail W8MSP@W8MSP.com
E-Mail detroit780@radioreference.com

Last edited by detroit780; 01-20-2014 at 8:47 PM..
Old 02-27-2014, 9:06 AM

Do you have to buy the 20-546 cable for $30 from Radio Shack? Is there a cheaper alternative that will work? Will any USB to 3.5mm cable work? $30 for a cable seems a bit excessive considering I bought the Pro-444 for $40 new.