RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 8:43 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just to stir the pot... is it illegal to listen to cell phone frequencies, or just illegal to manufacture and sell receivers able to do so?

SkyWarn
ARES
Sponsored links
Old 12-23-2010, 9:04 AM

As someone said in an earlier post, why would you want to listen to someone on a cordless phone? I only did it because I was bored with some of the other frequencies, and because I could. I do not plan on using my new scanner to try and listen to cordless phones all the time. I want to use this one to moniter things in my area as I recently moved into an apartment on the 3rd floor up with a balcony that would be great for an outdoor antenna, mostly wanna listen to the the police, just to see how bad things realy are in my area, and I hope to be able to use it while driving. I also hope to learn a lot from this website. A luxury that I did not have in the past. Also to answer the question above I do believe it is illegal to listen, But you can still by the equipment, if you have that kind of MONEY.
Have a great day all, John.

Last edited by jwitey; 12-23-2010 at 9:06 AM..
Old 12-23-2010, 9:52 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It is illegal to listen to private phone conversations of any kind ,It is illegal to make a Scanner that can receive Cell phone freqs .Now they still make Scanners that pickup the Cordless phone and Baby Monitors freqs ( range ) but most are digital now and can not be monitored.
Old 01-01-2011, 6:39 PM

I agree with everyone else. the other thing that is illegal and can not be monitored as much anymore is Fast Food joints. Every now and then you can pick up a signal in "Stalker Mode" most have went to 900mhz and WFM mode which most newer scanners do not have. Thought I would add that to the used to - but not now, list.

The funniest thing to catch is the wireless mics which I have only caught 4 times out of the 30 years of listening.
Old 01-01-2011, 7:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Been scanning for many many years now... 20 yrs back I bought my landlord a cordless phone for Christmas (The landlord lived upstairs... we lived downstairs) and wow did I hear some interesting conversations... it passed the time while I was bored at home. Can't catch those types of conversations anymore, and it's not a legal practice since the privacy listening act was set into place, but those types of personal conversations were pretty interesting to monitor. Like one poster stated, you were able to catch drug deals, phone s-x, spouse cheating, everything you could ever imagine, and I guess the intrigue of listening was to hear what was going to happen next, like a soap opera.

Like I said, it was a long long time ago, and I was young and bored. It's a bad practice to try to monitor those conversations, and it's good that scanners can't pick up the majority of it anymore. Now a days, it would surely give the hobby a bad name.
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2011, 7:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Uh... no, no it wouldn't.

In the 1990s it was entertainment that will never be rivaled. The things heard were beyond amazing and the world keeps getting more strange every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5AMS View Post
Listening to cell calls or home phone calls even if possible it would be very boring to listen too anyways
Old 01-01-2011, 7:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Both

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9WG View Post
Just to stir the pot... is it illegal to listen to cell phone frequencies, or just illegal to manufacture and sell receivers able to do so?
Old 01-02-2011, 12:14 AM

Most cell conversations that I over hear in local stores, are mindless babble. I really think people should consider if it's really important enough to make an actual call to someone before they do it. CALL: What are you doing?, Oh Nothing, what are you doing, oh nothing. I'm in Walmart trying to figure out which tampons to get HAHAHA....... I think I'd shoot myself if that's all I could pick up!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:05 PM

Default Eavesdropping........

Myself and two friends used to have cell capable scanners and it was very entertaining. Digital killed all that. Heard lots of interesting cordless phone conversations, too.

My neighbor regularly called me and would tell me "I heard you talking to so and so", cause he was listening to me talk on my cell phone or cordless phone. When I had somethin juicy to talk about, I'd always tell the other party to go to a corded landline after that. Not that I had anything to hide, it's just un-nerving knowing someone is eavesdropping. I know~ pot/kettle=black!

His son used to smoke a lotta dope and ran with folks that did the same thing. I heard him talking on his cordless phone one evening, and as the conversation swung towards dope dealing, the fellow on the other end said "hold on, I'm gonna pick up the house phone", but he didn't ask this yahoo he was talking to what kinda phone he was on........ so I got to listen to all that.......

You know, the scanners came with instruction books that listed the capabilities of the machines, and right there in black and white it listed the cell phone frequencies, along with a warning that "it was against the law to monitor them and blah blah blah..... Yeah, tell me how to do it, and in the next breath tell me I can't do it.

Back to phone monitoring. Yes, everybody has a cell phone. Yes, it would be interesting listening. But, if you watch people today, I would venture a guess that 75% of folks text message versus talk on their phones. Watch kids. That is all they do.

Not me~ I have sent exactly one text message in the whole time I have had a cellular phone, which would have been since 1994 or 5. It is a matter of principle for me. I feel I have taken a stand against technology. I get texts, but don't send or answer them. Why go to all that trouble when I can call you and talk right to you in real time? To be truthful, I have found that I can send a text message from the computer when on Yahoo. Just enter their phone number and send away. I do that often enough, but don't send them from my phone.

I think if we could still monitor cell phones, most juiciest conversations are texted. Now, viewing them may be interesting but you'd have to wade thru tons of mind numbing blather.......

As a sidenote, I was watching TV the other day and some panelists on a talkshow were on the subject of the difference between the younger generation and the older generation as far as their computer and telephone habits. One gal made a comment I agree with. She said if you'll notice, kids don't email. They text. They don't talk on their phones. They text. Email is for old fuddy-duddys. Talking on the phone isn't cool. Kids do the facebook thing, and grownups have taken that up, too. So, kids don't want their elders dragging them down, they don't want the grownups sticking their noses in the online business. That is why they text so much. It is private. You can't eavesdrop.

She was right. I have this young girl friend (13) and I observe her habits. Her and her young girl friends. All they do is text. If they do get a phone call, invariably she tells them she wants to hang up and she'll text them? They all have their phones on silent or vibrate. No noise- ever. You never know when they get a message or if they are typing. No sounds- except the times they are furiously typing and saying crap like "oh-no-she-didn't" and stupid lines like that. It drives me crazy, and that may be what they are after! I try to call her and she never answers. I end up going in the house and getting on Yahoo and texting her- and I get an answer in seconds.

I'll tell her "why don't you just call her and talk to her, instead of spending 10 minutes typing back and forth in that frickin text lingo", and all I get is a wave of the hand and am told to "hush".

Last edited by joekansas; 01-02-2011 at 12:24 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2011, 12:37 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Talking NEW cellphone FUN - 1 sided "monitoring"

I enjoy adding comments to the obnoxious cellphone users. When in line at a checkout and you have someone talking loud about something, I love to inject my comments or opinions on the one side of the conversation I can hear. Yeah, it is stupid, but if I gotta listen to this rudeness, I have to humor myself. It has caused minor issues at times, ( that makes it EVEN more enjoyable!) but hey they open themselves with there public display of arrogance and inconsideration ( like NO one should listen to them talking in PUBLIC! yeah!). I have even asked the person to tell me what the other persons answer was to the question they just asked. Love the looks I get and some of the replies I have gotten, worth it it at times. I even had others thank me and applaud my "balls" in doing so. Cell phones, is there nothing they can't do! You may not agree, too bad. Blame the FCC...
Old 01-02-2011, 2:20 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Many years ago,1980s and 90s you could pick up cordless on 49Mhz and then later on 900Mhz.Cell phones could be picked up easily on a basic radio shack 800Mhz scanner before they were blocked.Some of the stuff was unbelievable to listen to. That was how I discovered that my neighbors were swingers and had regular swingers parties at their house.lol. I always wondered why there were so many cars parked outside their house on Friday nights. Not that I would listen or anything...it was just that sometimes the scanner would park on those freqs by accident in band search mode.lol.

Last edited by N1RGR; 01-02-2011 at 2:25 PM..
Old 01-02-2011, 2:34 PM

Before what was blocked? The phones or the scanners? Just curious.
I am just curious if there is something done to the new scanners not to be able to do this or is it just the evolution of cordless phones?
Thank's, John.
Old 01-02-2011, 3:24 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cell phones were blocked in the scanners because people (ignorant people) thought their cell phone conversations were private like landline. (It's a radio transmitter, duh!) When they found out you could listen to them on a scanner (or the UHF tuner on your TV for that matter) they were outraged and pressured congress and the FCC to block reception. (The FCC just wanted the cell phome manufactures to place a warning sticker on the phone but the cellular companys had fits over that idea). Some older programmable scanners can pick up the analog cell phone frequencies but due to the digital age those frequencies are rather quiet. Cordless (not cell phones) were and are able to be picked up and were never blocked. Newer cordless phones operate on 2.4gHz or 5.8gHz where most scanners can't reach.

SkyWarn
ARES
Old 01-02-2011, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitey View Post
Before what was blocked? The phones or the scanners? Just curious.
I am just curious if there is something done to the new scanners not to be able to do this or is it just the evolution of cordless phones?
Thank's, John.
It's truly a combination of both, cellphone and cordless phone technology has advanced to the point that it can't easily be monitored and by an act of congress scanners can no longer receive in the bands allocated to cellular phones.
Old 01-02-2011, 4:23 PM

I heard things I won't get into talking about, but it was far more interesting than some things that can be monitered. I did not know it was illegal at the time, I was under the impression that if the frequencies were there you could scan them. I do not do it or should I say try to these days, some things are better left alone.
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2011, 6:11 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Location: In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Farrell, Pa.
Wink If.......

It was really good listening around election time to monitor the cell phone frequencies back in the day. If I could still do it today I would! It could not be compared to any other type of eavesdropping. It was better than dinner and a movie on a Friday or Saturday night.
Old 01-02-2011, 6:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Field Test Mode.

Hello.

You want a scanner for cellular.
You want it cheap.
You want a cellphone.
http://www.wpsantennas.com/pdf/testm...dTestModes.pdf
What you want to do is open the receiver and monitor the next available busy channel.
Some GSM phones will want a special service SIM card.
GSM Test SIM Card - SEtool SE tool
On some CDMA sets you will need to set a jumper.
But in every case, get caught and you may face trouble, so you are doing this at your own risk.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9WG View Post
cordless phones operate on 2.4gHz or 5.8gHz where most scanners can't reach.
Good point, also most of the newer phones are on the spread spectrum too
Old 01-03-2011, 12:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Oh my.......

again?

If I read FPP, Spectra or PRC148 in this thread I'm going to lose it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I fail to see how any of the below will allow for any sort of interception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowthief View Post
Hello.

You want a scanner for cellular.
You want it cheap.
You want a cellphone.
http://www.wpsantennas.com/pdf/testm...dTestModes.pdf
What you want to do is open the receiver and monitor the next available busy channel.
Some GSM phones will want a special service SIM card.
GSM Test SIM Card - SEtool SE tool
On some CDMA sets you will need to set a jumper.
But in every case, get caught and you may face trouble, so you are doing this at your own risk.

Last edited by mancow; 01-03-2011 at 12:07 PM..
Old 01-03-2011, 1:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Actually mancow,there is some truth to what cowthief posted but I'm not going to elaborate on this due to legality reasons...so don't have a COW?
n9zas