Best Antenna for a Pro-96 receiving APCO-25 signals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOUTHBAYSCANNER

Welcome to SouthBayScanner.com
Feed Provider
This might be more of an antenna question, rather than a scanner question, but maybe someone can shed some light on this...Can anyone make a tried and true recommendation for an antenna for a Radio Shack Pro-96 monitoring the 865-868Mhz APCO-25 band? I upgraded to the "Deluxe" Radio Shack rubber-duckie (20-034) which sounds noticeably better than the stock antenna, but I still get a lot of digital garble. I will say that the 20-034 seems to also perform better than the Radio Shack Center-Loaded Telescoping Whip (20-006) on this band. I'm thinking about getting the outdoor (20-176) antenna but heard from several people that it doesn't help with receiving APCO 25. I'm even thinking about experimenting with a homemade 50 ft speaker wire antenna. Please note that since I primarily use my scanner indoors, I installed a mount outside the window for better antenna reception with a BNC tipped cable going inside the house.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
i monitor ct state police on their digital system alot here. i upgraded to the rs 800 mhz antenna and i am very pleased with it. That said if you want to get some really good advise on antenna stuff ask Manny N1SQB and I'm sure he will steer you in the right direction. He's never let me down

Joe

N8IAA

The RS 800MHz antenna. Without a doubt. Bought it for my 96. Use it on my 106. Another great antenna is the little stubby racing antenna on sale for $0.97. Picked one up over the weekend at my local RS. Use it on my 396.
Larry

rwier

Ditto, for APCO-25 the RS 800MHz works best for me. Have 5 in use daily on a BCD396t, BCD996t, PSR-500, PSR-600, and an HP-1. They may look like a twisted wire coat hanger but they really work!

Rob

ScanXO

formally East Jersey part time south of the Border
silly - antennas are not made for being digital they receive RF what ever works for you - use it
a large paper clip works well over a $29 RS antenna, there is no surch thing as a P25/digital antenna - UrbanLegend
only when transmitting does the right length-cut - size matters
try a paper clip works just as well on my area systems as well as any of my rubber 'duckies'

WA1ATA

only when transmitting does the right length-cut - size matters
try a paper clip works just as well on my area systems as well as any of my rubber 'duckies'

I tried it and it worked horribly. Perhaps the electrons were going too fast and couldn't make the turns around the curves.

It worked better after I straightened it out; but I prefer to use the wires from inside the ties from bags of bread, and the wire bag ties don't hurt as much when I poke myself.

-------------------

On a more serious note, I really have used paperclips and bread wrapper wire ties, small lengths of hookup wire. The trick is to find something that makes good contact with the antenna connector while not bending the contacts out of shape. I also like something somewhat flexible. So thin gauge stranded copper wire is my preference.

A quarter wavelength at 866 is about 3.2", which is about how much an unfolded standard paperclip extends above a BNC connector.

ampulman

The wife and I take a weekly trip to the mall. I usually sit in the car and scan, while she shops.

When leaving home, I put my RS 800 ant. and scanner in my carry bag. Well, once I forgot the antenna, so I went in J.C. Penney and asked the clerk for a large paper clip. It worked just fine.

Now, I keep a paper clip 'clipped' to my bag, just in case.

amp

SCPD

QRT
I can get several (4-6 usually depending on time of day) MPSCS towers with both the RS 20-176 and the RS 20-283.

K9STU

Scanning Antenna

My best advice for scanning is a Ham Radio Antenna built by "Diamond". It is very wide recieve 25-1300mhz "Discone" antenna that recieves extreamly well and even transmits in the 6m, 2m, 440mhz 1.2ghz bands. It is an all stainless steel antenna and will work for years in all kinds of climates. The model numer is D-130J and you can find them on the web. It uses a "UHF" or "N" connector so be sure of your cableing before you purchase. Its not cheap, but it really preforms.

Bye the way, as most of you alread know, it doesnt matter if the signal is analog or digital.

K9STU's Amateur Radio Web Site

Status
Not open for further replies.