Pro 106 Volume Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

nzo012

I have a Pro-106 that is about 2 months old and I started noticing a few weeks ago that when I adjusted the volume while the radio was sitting idle and not receiving anything, I was hearing a slight bit of static as I rotated the volume control. It sounded like the control was dirty. I sprayed it with some contact cleaner and it went away. It's been a little over a week since I did that and I noticed today the static was back when I rotated the volume control while the radio was not receiving anything. Maybe the second time is the charm...I guess I'll see.

So, is mine the only one doing this??

bama9999

My radio is a couple of years old now, but it's been doing the same thing since probably a couple of months after I got it. I've got other radios in the same environment and none of them do it. If it is dirty contacts on the volume pot, it sure seemed to happen mighty quick.

Good post, and it'll be interesting to find out if many others have this same problem.

jasonkw

Exact same thing here, I tried some electronic cleaner spray, it went away for a week or so, but it was back after that. It started 2 or 3 months after I bought it.

GrumpyGuard

I am having the same problem. I noticed it about a month ago. I have only had the scanner a few months.

bmlure

Premium Subscriber
Mine does the same. Had it repaired in Aug for a scratchy volume and is doing it again. Radio is only 6 months old.

Jake68111

I've had my Pro 106 for about 8 months now and I can't say I have your issue.

On the other hand, my Pro 97 does it HORRIBLY! It never really bothered me that much as I just took it as a reward for obviously being used so much. It kind of made me feel like I was in the infancy days of scanning. The radio itself works just as good as the day I bought it, besides that pesky little noise.

I just wonder if this isn't a more common issue with RS scanners across the board.

Last edited:

DickH

... I sprayed it with some contact cleaner and it went away. It's been a little over a week since I did that and I noticed today the static was back his?? ...

Simply spraying it with contact cleaner is not enough. After spraying, rotate the conrtol back and forth MANY times to really clean it.

rfrf

Premium Subscriber
Pro 106

Exact same issue here with my 106. Mine is three years old and started doing it about a year ago. Have sprayed it numerous times with contact cleaner and then moved the dial back and forth. Fixes it for a couple days but then the "static" sound is back when you turn the dial.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have a PSR-500, which is the same scanner, in the OEM version, and I have had issues with the volume control. This started when I had only had the radio a short time, but I don't remember exactly how long.

The noise isn't loud enough to really worry about, so I haven't messed with it.

WAScanMan

I've had my Pro 106 for about 8 months now and I can't say I have your issue.

On the other hand, my Pro 97 does it HORRIBLY! It never really bothered me that much as I just took it as a reward for obviously being used so much. It kind of made me feel like I was in the infancy days of scanning. The radio itself works just as good as the day I bought it, besides that pesky little noise.

I just wonder if this isn't a more common issue with RS scanners across the board.

I too have this problem with both my 106 and 97. Both are identical sounds, and both started about a month after I purchased them new from RS.

396nova

No noise on my Pro 106.

No noise on my Pro 106 or my Pro 94. I have yet to see any mention of a Pro 94 on the Radio Shack Forum. Am I the only person that owns A Pro 94?

vinzep491

Funny you mentioned this - I always thought I was the only one with this issue, figuring I was rough taking the scanner between the car and house or something.

Does anyone have a more efficient fix than the spray cleaning method?

nzo012

Well, I guess mine isn't the only one. Like I said earlier, I sprayed it a second time, but if it comes back again I guess I live with it. Doesn't sound like anyone has had any luck getting it to stop, including sending the radio in for service on it. Now that I think back, some of the old Radio Shack Patrolman tabletop scanners that I have had in the past have done the same thing, I just never gave it much thought back then because I don't think that you adjust a tabletop radio's volume as much as a hand held one.

This is my first Radio Shack Scanner that I have owned in years; I really like the radio and it's functions, but it sure seems quirky that you can't plug it in to charge it without the risk of a total meltdown, and now the volume control sounds like it is worn out on a brand new radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.