Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Hit the FCC this morning...

PSR-800

PRO-18

The Pro-18 appears to have CODEC mentioned for the MicroSD, but I do not see recording features in thed preliminary OM. Is this an oversight or does this version not include recording features?

Edit: This model does not include the recording features found on the GRE PSR800.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
As answered in the GRE forum:
Yes, the <MicroSD> cards can be swapped between the two models. The data file formats are identical.

No. Features that are not present in the PRO-18 (like recording / playback) won't be available just because you insert a card from a PSR-800.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The FCC photos look like the radio has a rubberized finish. Is this the case (pun intended)? :D

Looks nice n all,
but i tend to agree
with others...
unless they produce
a radio that will do
TRBO or NXDN..
maybe provoice..I
just cannot spill the
dough on a lateral
purchase..

the SD options great
but not a huge sell for
me.

Now,,if they can price
it 225-325 USD...i
may take a deeper
gander..

JustLou

Ughh. I haven''t been here in a long,long time and had to re-register. Anyway, with the GRE 800 expected to retail around $500, does anyone have any idea what this stripped down Pro-18 might retail for? I wouldn't mind adding it to my collection since I need a digital HH, if it's going to go for around $350.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Initially, I'm thinking it wil be the standard RadioShack full price of $499.99. Once the dust settles, then you'll see some sales.

JustLou

Initially, I'm thinking it wil be the standard RadioShack full price of $499.99. Once the dust settles, then you'll see some sales.

Well, if this neutered version sells for as much as the 800, I won't wait for a sale. I'd just buy the 800.

RadioDaze

I do recall that the Pro-106 was introduced at $299, while the Pro-96 was closed out at $199 during the same sale. (I opted for the Pro-96, which I went on to regret, given my fringe LAPD location.) We are seeing discounts continue on the Pro-106, which we assume isn't being closed out, and expect that RS will still include advanced-level scanners in their lineup. Still, the continued price cuts seem to me to represent a new paradigm for pricing, unless they actually were trying to get rid of them.

I don't think we'll see another $299 intro, but they've set the environment up pretty well for a $399 price. I think that $399 will be RS's street price for the Pro-18, with frequent $379 and $349 sales, and some holiday opportunities of $299. That way, they can float the Pro-106/197 price back up a little, inasmuch as it's an "advanced scanner." They need to keep the price near the top end at such time as the 106/107 replacement comes out.

Meanwhile, I think the value-added Pro-800 will street for $449 to $479, and $499 from folks who tend to always sell at full retail.

RS employees admittedly have a hard time supporting the advanced scanners; I think the Pro-18 will be welcomed by both the customers and the salespersons. I think they are correctly betting on the Pro-18 being a big seller.

voxiso

Every county in my state (KY) is going to NXDN so without that I am in a complete dead zone.. My county is switching over this year.. But it seems like there is no scanner in sight with NXDN support

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I do recall that the Pro-106 was introduced at $299, while the Pro-96 was closed out at $199 during the same sale.

I don't believe you saw the Pro-106 for $299 when first released. I preordered one when it was first available from RSU at full price ($499) with free shipping to the home. Later in the year it went on sale for $399. I was able to get the Pro-96 for a closeout of $169.97.

The Pro-18 should be at the same initial price point, but I'd be happy to be wrong. :p

RadioDaze

Dave, I don't have access to the ad that was out at the time, but I did pay $199 for the Pro-96, and didn't think it was necessary to pay the extra $100 for the "new" model. I probably can find the original receipt for the 96 and then corroborate that with the release date of the 106. I'm absolutely certain of the $299 for the 106.

Maybe it was a local thing....?

Update: Okay, I stand corrected. I searched the forums and see that the 106 came out quite a while before I bought my Pro-96 on sale. The 106 was definitely $299 when I bought the 96, but I have no idea what the 106 sold for at its introduction. Or, as Emily Litella used to say, "Never mind."

P.S. I still think the Pro-18 has a good chance of settling in at $399.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Just read the users manual,it does not mention Canada,unlike the PSR-800 is that correct?

No mention of Canadian bandplan for the 18, however your correct about the 800 including the Canadian bandplan. Maybe RadioShack will request the change?

JustLou

P.S. I still think the Pro-18 has a good chance of settling in at $399.

The PSR-800 is now on sale for $449. Unless the PRO-18 is $349 or less, I see no reason to buy a neutered version of the PSR-800.
JMO-YMMV

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I'm thinking you'll see it at $449.99 initially, then eventually it will be on sale just as the Pro-106 and Pro-107 are. Let's see what happens in the days to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.