RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 8:43 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I had it originally for TV, but its rated for UHF and VHF, so it's not a problem. And I have had many other problems with it, such as it not receiving many trunked system properly, doesn't receive as well as some other scanners (just for some odd reason), and it breaks up in the car. Anyway, I'll let you guys know the fix when it happens.
-----------------------------------------|
~~~~~>pro-106 and pro-528<~~~~~
Sponsored links
Old 05-09-2011, 9:16 PM

Eastrocks400,

The scanner needs to be sent to RS Repair center in Texas. I know this is not what you want to hear because you said you already sent it in once and the repair will cost you. There are two boards inside the scanner ( I had to take mine apart because of dust behind the display. Don't do this if you aren't properly grounded. I used a ground strap to ground myself). The first one being where the antenna input goes and is probably the source of your problem. After they receive it they will take a look at it and tell you how much it is going to cost. Make sure you get the phone number of the repair center. You have already done this once so you know the drill.

Radio Shack Repair Center

300 Trinity Campus Cir Fort Worth, TX 76102

(817) 415-3594

Last edited by John_M; 05-09-2011 at 9:27 PM..
Old 05-09-2011, 10:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastrocks400 View Post
I had it originally for TV, but its rated for UHF and VHF, so it's not a problem. And I have had many other problems with it, such as it not receiving many trunked system properly, doesn't receive as well as some other scanners (just for some odd reason), and it breaks up in the car. Anyway, I'll let you guys know the fix when it happens.
You should never hookup a ham transceiver with a splitter (coupler) like that. They are not designed for transmit for one, for two, they are 75 ohm and will present a very bad SWR to your ham rig. That will likely destroy the finals in the ham rig (as another poster pointed out) if you transmit which you have. And for three - ANY other radios hooked to that same coupler are at risk of being destroyed if you transmit with the ham rig. It also does NOT matter if the scanners are turned off. The antenna inputs are still live to the coupler and the full RF from the ham rig.
Just because it says "UHF and VHF" does not mean diddly squat. That is for TV reception period. They can be used in a recieve only application but they do not offer very good port to port isolation and one scanner will liklely interfere with the other plus the performance suffers with this type of "coupler".
My advice is to lose that coupler for the ham rig. Get a dedicated antenna designed for the ham rigs frequency range(s) and then use the coupler with a scanner antenna for the scanners only if you need multiple scanners otherwise throw the coupler away before you do more damage.
What you are doing now is really no different than hooking the coax directly from the ham rig to the scanners antenna jack and when you transmit, poof, that is all she wrote for one or both radios.