Pro 197 and Telephone Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

gailz114

Whenever I use the Uniden remote phones in my house, I can hear it on my scanner, with heavy squelching. The phone is a 5.8GHz. How do I correct this, AND can people in the neighborhood or anyone with a digital scanner hear my phone calls? Thanks.

homeinva

not sure how to correct it

but anything that goes over the air waves if you have the right equipment you can hear it
and yes if somebody is close to your transmitter they can hear what you saying

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Spread spectrum is easiest way to keep your phone comms. secure. You may have a 5.8 ghz. phone which is one of the analog only variety.

n9zas

gcgrotz

There are many models where they list "5.8 GHz" but the fine print says they will fall back to some other frequency, like 900 MHz. You could have something like this going on.

Another phone will not be able to hear you since they act the opposite from a scanner which is to NOT stop on a busy freq. Scanners will easily pick up 900 MHz cordless phones, and even 2.4 GHz with the right model. It is, however, covered by the same laws that prohibit listening to cell phones (not that you can anymore anyway).

Also, sometimes the term spread spectrum only means that the phone can switch among a lot of different frequencies, at least as the manufacturer uses the term. If it is "digital spread spectrum" you are probably safe.

Your best bet would be a CDMA cellphone, nobody is going to listen to that except for a tap at the mobile switch office.

Last edited:

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber
Along with the above great info - thing to remember:

Cordless phone = radio = anyone can hear / some can understand.

Depending upon IF stages and frequency images and all that hocus-pocus type of being able to hear or listen in on a signal that's not really there, one may be able to hear a 2.4 or 5.x gig transmission on the 197. Most likely though the phone might have reverted back to a transmission type and frequency that is in the scanner's capabilities.

Sometimes we all forget all the RF that is surrounding us today.

cbbrown

Gailz 144. If you can hear your personal phone on your scanner then your neighbor's can hear you for sure. Digital spectrum spread is the best for privacy. I had at one time the same phone as you and i though it had been secure because it had said 5.8. But when i read the spec's closer i had found that one side of the phone broadcast is on 5.8 but the other side (base unit) was in 900 mhz range. My neighbor had heard everything i had been saying and when talking with the neighbor they would let thing's slip about what they had heard like a trip i was taking and health problem's. I do not believe that any scanner let alone the pro197 could ever receive digital spectrum spread. I hope my experience and information with this problem you are having is helpful. Remember if you want privacy or to keep thing's on the hush hush remember ( the best kept secret is the one you keep to yourself )

jackj

Spread Spectrum is very secure, no scanner can pick up the signal. Spread Spectrum does just what the name implies, it spreads the data bits over a pretty broad piece of the spectrum. The handset and base are constantly jumping to different frequencies in step with each other and, unless the scanner has the jump sequence, it will not be able to track the phone. A lot of the plain digital phones use encryption between the handset and base. The better ones change the key for each new conversation so even if you could decrypt one call, the next one will use a completely different key.

As cbbrown said, most of the cheaper 5.8 Ghz phones use either 2.4 Ghz or 900 Mhz in one direction. The side-tone you hear in your handset (your voice in the ear piece) is generated in the base and sent back to the handset so any scanner that can hear the base's transmit will be able to hear both side of the conversation.

Read the box when you buy a cordless phone. If the box doesn't say "Spread Spectrum", it isn't, If it doesn't say "Digital", it isn't. If it doesn't say "Encrypted" or "Encoded", it isn't.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I used to have a old Pro-41 and I would be able to hear our Vtech phone (when we had it) on one the Med9 channel of course the phone wasn't actually transmitting on that freq the it was just a image on that scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.