Evil attacks his PRO 197 (Battery Mod)

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Alternate title: Clearly, another person with too much time on their hands)

Yesterday I was sitting around here, sober as Hell. After I rectified that situation, I became curious about my PRO 197. I wondered how much current it drew. So I grabbed the DC cable, connected it to my bench power supply, set it to 13.5 volts and turned it on. Even at worse case (moderate volume, display and LED brightness set to high) the 197 drew 200ma. Heck, that's not so bad. As a matter of fact, one could run their 197 from internal batteries. So, is there room inside the 197 for batteries? A Phillips screwdriver answered that question. Even at the risk of destroying the 197, I decided to attempt to cram four 18650 2600maH Lithuium Ion cells into it. 18650, by the way, is the cell size - 18mm diameter x 65mm length.

I did it. My 197 lives. The entire procedure took about eight hours. Much of that was verifying my math and
double checking the connections I'd be soldering. Here are some pics:

Here is bottom panel with the speaker. (This has nothing to do with the project. But I have an expensive Nikon DSLR so I need little excuse to use it)

ztw10i.jpg

Here is the bottom view of the PCB. The battery pack will go on the left side.

2ze095g.jpg

Here is the top view of the PCB.

2801s28.jpg

Here is how the batteries look after installation. I didn't have a good way of securing the cells. Just used some packing tape. With the bottom cover installed, it is a tight fit, no way for the batteries to move.

fa7fvo.jpg

The PRO 197 manual states that 16 volts is the maximum. My battery pack produces 16.8 volts when fully charged. I added three diodes in series with the reverse protection diode. (Two might be all that is needed. I can always change it later).

2gt4yv9.jpg

Here is a pic of my 197 running from the internal pack. To my amazement, it was receiving signals without the antenna installed. Cool.

21jnfw9.jpg

Right now I am letting the 197 run until the battery pack gives out. I should get 10 plus hours. We'll see.

RadioDaze

Nice work, Evil! Novel idea... never seen it attempted or even contemplated.

Question for you, now that you've defiled your radio: What are your thoughts on hooking up a line-level out jack? Plenty of room on the back for a 1/8" jack, but I'm not sure where it would best be tapped off from.

04Z1V6

What would make this better? I ask. Two leads connected to jacks on the back of the unit and a replaceable power pack that is easily removed for charging. You can purchase the the four battery holder (for lack of a better term) from radio shack.

Nice work, Evil! Novel idea... never seen it attempted or even contemplated.

Question for you, now that you've defiled your radio: What are your thoughts on hooking up a line-level out jack? Plenty of room on the back for a 1/8" jack, but I'm not sure where it would best be tapped off from.

Looks like it has already been done:

AI4JI PRO-197 Line Audio Output Modification

I have no idea how this fellow knew to pick up the line level audio from pin 1 of IC8. He must have a schematic.

I notice when the 197 powers up. a battery icon appears. I assume this is because the same LCD is used with the PRO 106. It would be neat to have the battery indicator working (and accurate) on the 197.

Last edited:
What would make this better? I ask. Two leads connected to jacks on the back of the unit and a replaceable power pack that is easily removed for charging. You can purchase the the four battery holder (for lack of a better term) from radio shack.

I can charge my batteries now through the existing DC power jack. No need to remove them. The only requirement is a Li-Ion charger must be used. Or an external power supply that can be set for CC/CV (Constant Current / Constant Voltage) - which I have and use all the time.

BatterySpace.com has a number of Li-Ion / Polymer chargers. I may pick up this one:

Smart Charger (1.5A) for 14.8V Li-ion/Polymer Rechargeable Battery Pack with Two Pin Connector

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
That's a neat little project,but I have to ask....what IF one of those cells bursts for any reason all over the pc board in your 197?? :(

However,I could see using a 12volt gel cell and wiring a fused power cord to mate with the pro-197. ;)

n9zas

RadioDaze

I have no idea how this fellow knew to pick up the line level audio from pin 1 of IC8. He must have a schematic.

Wow, I owe you one, ELM. That's just what the doctor ordered.

Seriously, he gave me a prescription for it. Said I wasn't getting enough "Lineout" in my diet. (Or maybe it was fiber.)

Eng74

I would just go and spend the money on a 500 or 106. They are a little smaller to take with you than the 197.

Uh oh, a fellow Flashaholic!

What's worse than a fellow Flashaholic? Two fellow Flashaholics. I've been a member since Nov 2003. Unfortunately, I have yet to come to terms with the failure of the server last February and the fact there was no backup. I though I would be saving money, but alas, scanners seem to have filled that void.

Eng74 - I agree. A 500/106 is the best portable solution.

gewecke - There is very little chance of a cell exploding. I am using protected cells. They employ a high speed (10's of microseconds) circuit that opens (unplugs) the pack when a high current, high voltage or low voltage condition occurs. As soon as any error condition is resolved, the circuit turns back on. The circuit is so quick to respond that even if you deliberately short the + and - wires, you won't see any arcing.

By the way, I got 13 hours of run time. It was actually a little longer than that, I but I dozed off and did not observe it shutting off.

Last edited:

Garmann

I notice when the 197 powers up. a battery icon appears. I assume this is because the same LCD is used with the PRO 106. It would be neat to have the battery indicator working (and accurate) on the 197.

Here's suppose to be another way read post #3
http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/206824-pro-197-recording.html

RadioDaze

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber
I would just go and spend the money on a 500 or 106. They are a little smaller to take with you than the 197.

And I thought it was who has the biggest toys that wins... I think it's kind of neat to be able to do this. Would make for a great alternative way to power it when need in the field where one has limited power sources.

Mr Evil you be a braver man than I.

Essexscan

Make that 3 flashaholics!! Nice internal battery mod!! All you need is a SF M3LT clipped on the side to provide needed scene lighting and you're all set with an Emer Comm kit

Mr Evil you be a braver man than I.

No, let's not say brave. Not even scary. But what was scary was soldering a 1/8 watt resistor to a surface mount resistor when I did the "reduce squelch tail" mod to my PRO-51:

59y15d.jpg

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
EvilLithiumMan- I don't suppose you've taken the front panel apart and maybe taken some pics of it? I was wondering about changing the backlighting color. I really hate the amber.

Status
Not open for further replies.