RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 10:43 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

People behind the counter do not know how to program the scanner.Customers have filled complaints with FT.Worth Operations.I had a manger of a local RS Store admit to me that they do not have a clue as to what they are doing with scanners and they DO not and cannot program scanners..I obtained a recent memo from RS Ft.Worth Operations Center that went out to ALL RS Stores telling them to STOP programming scanners by computer or any other means.RS will sell you the scanner but the customer or someone else that does not work for RS will have to program the scanner for the customer.My source is Creditable and I will stand by my source of whom provided me with this document.

Last edited by W9NES; 09-14-2011 at 10:45 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 09-14-2011, 11:15 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Iron Triangle Ohio... otherweise known as Fostoria. Where the trains roll through every 5 minutes.

My personal experiance with the RS stores is this: MOST <---- again see MOST of their employees don't know there *** from a hole in their head when it comes to RADIO's or Radio related. They as mentioned above are all about the CELL phone side of the industry. In regards to scanners.... Half of the people I have came across did not have a clue what was digital and what was analog. They can't program them right to save their life and when I applied for a job there years ago.... I was told I did not have enough "sales" experiance. Seems to me that A, If your gonna sell someone something... You better damn well know WHAT your product can and can not do before you sell it to someone. And B, When you get customers that come into the store with a good skill in electronics... You better be able to answer any and all questions your customer may have, From the most minute question of what type of a battery does a product take, all the way up to the technical specifications of your product. As stated above as well, Their slogan is " you've got questions, We've got answers" Yes they may have answers... But I am willing to bet that they are not the correct ones. One good side of it is though, That since I have frequented the stores in my area enough, The managers caught on that I was pretty skilled in the radio side of things. And I am now their number one scanner programmer. When I would be in the stores, a customer would have a question about a scanner and with a whole store full of people the managers would point to me and say talk to him... he knows more about these things that we do.

So long story short, I think that the shack needs to do some comprehensive training of their employees and require their employees to undergo training on all of their products, So that in the end they can provide answers and solutions to the customers needs.

In my oppinion the store should change their name to CELLSHACK....
Cause they aren't radio much anymore.

Last edited by Scannerhead1983; 09-14-2011 at 11:17 AM..
Old 09-14-2011, 11:27 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cell Phone - A DIGITAL (tdma, cdma, gsm, idn), SCANNING (multiple band), DUPLEX, (full period) TWO WAY RADIO.
+ HF, VHF & UHF Xceivers from Alinco Icom Kenwood Yaesu Vertex Maxon Mot & RS
Old 09-14-2011, 11:27 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9NES View Post
KC5EIB,My infomation is a creditable source inside Radio Shack. RS no longer programs scanners.This infomation was obtained from Ft.Worth Operations and all RS Stores are Not to program any scanners due to RS people behind the counter doing serious damage to customers radios.This is the reason why NOT to buy scanners from RS.Did you not get the MEMO? Memos were sent out to all RS stores from Ft.Worth Operations on this issue. If you did not get one you need to check with Ft.Worth Operations Center.
Quote:
People behind the counter do not know how to program the scanner.Customers have filled complaints with FT.Worth Operations.I had a manger of a local RS Store admit to me that they do not have a clue as to what they are doing with scanners and they DO not and cannot program scanners..I obtained a recent memo from RS Ft.Worth Operations Center that went out to ALL RS Stores telling them to STOP programming scanners by computer or any other means.RS will sell you the scanner but the customer or someone else that does not work for RS will have to program the scanner for the customer.My source is Creditable and I will stand by my source of whom provided me with this document.

Since you have "obtained a recent memo from RS Ft.Worth Operations Center" to that effect, would you mind posting a copy of that here?

It would be an important piece of info for the folks here that may or may not make a purchase based on that info.

Also, I would still like to know, what kind of "serious damage" can be caused to a scanner by bad programming?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:55 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I will not buy any scanners from Radio Shack. Enough said. As far as "Serious Damage" it goes back on the person that is not trainned behind the counter.As far as Damage for one Memories on scanners blown out, after programming the radio will not turn back on,Radio smells like electrical smell after the radio was programmed.Items on the Circuit boards been Fryed.

Last edited by W9NES; 09-14-2011 at 12:44 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 09-14-2011, 12:31 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I will not buy any scanners from Radio Shack. Enough said. As far as "Serious Damage" it goes back on the person that is not trainned behind the counter not trained.As far as Damage for one Memories on scanners blown out, after programming the radio will not turn back on,Radio smells like electrical smell after the radio was programmed.Items on the Circuit boards been Fryed.
The only time I have seen that happen was when a store mistaked the PC/IF jack for the power jack and fried the logic board. The store replaced the scanner at no charge to the customer.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:54 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This is the main reason why RS will not program scanners becuase RS has to replace so many of the items.Also the people are young guys behind the counter do not care about taking care of customers.Some of us have to walk in the store like we ***Own the RS Store*** and find items on our own.All RS cares abourt is ***Who is your cell phone carrier? We can get you a better deal*** Funny when a local Ham Radio Operator walks into a local RS Store and they see his 2M/440 HT on his side and then they ask the question to him.***Do you need your cell phone programmed so you can use it?*The Ham had to tell the Guy that it was a 2M/440 Ham HT.It was NOT a cell phone.And he did not need the radio to be programmed* And he does not need a cell phone.
Old 09-14-2011, 6:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm happy to say the Radio Shack near me was very well versed with their knowledge of radios and communications and they even referred me to RR.com which was my salvation to figuring how to use my new scanner to it 's potential!!!
Uniden 536HP
Old 09-14-2011, 8:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioDaze View Post
... ... ....
While I'm on the subject, maybe someone could help me get it working properly. Specifically, the fire department is on a trunked system down here. Should I be using three hundred dpi or six hundred dpi to get the clearest reception?
The higher the dpi the higher the resolution the higher the quality of the picture....
Sponsored links
Old 09-14-2011, 8:28 PM

Radio Shack is awsome. I got tired of my old broken Pro-96 so i went into RS with my old broken Pro-96 in its old crusty box and i asked the hefty female working there if i can return the scanner for a brand new Pro-96. She went to the back and came out with the "manager" and the manager asked me why was i returning the product if i didnt have a reciept or anything. I told him it was old and crusty and that they messed it up hahahahahaha , so he gave me a brand new one and i was one happy camper. Thanks Radio Shack, You're Awsome !!!!!
Old 09-15-2011, 1:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

anyone that believes that story will believe anything.
Old 09-15-2011, 2:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Iron Triangle Ohio... otherweise known as Fostoria. Where the trains roll through every 5 minutes.

Haha I still think that their customer service is crap. They may as well just change it to cell shack. See though there is a good market.. Open up a store that's nothing but RADIO stuff. No cellphones, Nothing but radio stuff. Id shop there all the time!!
Old 09-15-2011, 2:40 PM

There are still a lot of franchise stores around, but they have gotten worse as well. One store has young kids working who don't know anything except how to text while ringing your order up wrong. One Indy store has nothing but Hispanics and only one or two know any English. And another store is full of dope dealers and gang bangers from the East Side of Indy. Won't go to any of those places for anything, instead I got to a couple of electronics dealers in Indy, at least they have a clue what they are doing. It costs more to go to them driving farther and parts cost more but at least they speak English and won't try to rob you when you leave!
Old 09-15-2011, 4:00 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Angry Good bye Radio Shack

As someone who has been shopping at Radio Shack for forty years and has probably spent tens of thousands of dollars over that period of time, I have recently spent my last dollar with their company.

After the p-ss poor customer service that I received by someone who identified himself as "the manager", I sent a letter to the CEO and CFO in Ft Worth and expressed my displeasure. I received no response from them. I did receive a letter from the regional manager apologizing for my bad experience.

It wasn't just one bad experience, it was a number of bad experiences over the last five years that factored into my decision not to spend anymore money with them. The straw that broke the camels back was the last experience with "the manager" that was unprofessional, unkempt, lacked good hygiene, and had little knowledge of his product line.

Good bye Radio Shack. I'm taking my business elsewhere.

And just so that I stay on the topic, I own a PRO-2004, PRO-2005, PRO-2006, PRO-43, PRO-92, PRO-93, PRO 2052, but now I buy my scanners from somewhere else. I also have a GRE PSR-500, PSR-600, and a PSR-800. There is $1500.00 worth of sales that Radio Shack didn't get.

Last edited by connscan; 09-15-2011 at 4:16 PM..
Old 09-15-2011, 4:54 PM
DataBase Administrator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
KC5EIB,My infomation is a creditable source inside Radio Shack. RS no longer programs scanners.This infomation was obtained from Ft.Worth Operations and all RS Stores are Not to program any scanners due to RS people behind the counter doing serious damage to customers radios.This is the reason why NOT to buy scanners from RS.Did you not get the MEMO? Memos were sent out to all RS stores from Ft.Worth Operations on this issue. If you did not get one you need to check with Ft.Worth Operations Center.
Tim, I would like to bring some clairty to this statement and clear up the misinformation.

Stores in general no longer program scanners with in-house software provided by corporate(Scancat), however, RadioShack and RadioReference created a partnership to help out scanner customers. Check out this link for the details: Radio Shack Scanner Programming Software

Doug, I am with you. I haven't seen nor could I find any communciations forbidding employees from programming scanners for customers.
Rules and guidelines for forum post content
Sponsored links
Old 09-15-2011, 10:22 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay34654 View Post
anyone that believes that story will believe anything.
You must be working at Radio Shack for you not to believe Lol ...
Old 09-16-2011, 9:56 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqscan View Post
Tim, I would like to bring some clairty to this statement and clear up the misinformation.

Stores in general no longer program scanners with in-house software provided by corporate(Scancat), however, RadioShack and RadioReference created a partnership to help out scanner customers. Check out this link for the details: Radio Shack Scanner Programming Software

Doug, I am with you. I haven't seen nor could I find any communciations forbidding employees from programming scanners for customers.

Good.

I sold a scanner on eBay with the cable, and I threw in a CD with programming software (Free).

The scanner was functioning properly when I boxed it up.

The guy who bought it took it to radio shack to have it programmed, and they told him that it had a bad "Logic Circuit" and that it was essentially junk.

That was the last straw for RS and the last straw for eBay.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:14 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner50 View Post
Good.
I sold a scanner on eBay with the cable, and I threw in a CD with programming software (Free).
The scanner was functioning properly when I boxed it up.
The guy who bought it took it to radio shack to have it programmed, and they told him that it had a bad "Logic Circuit" and that it was essentially junk.

That was the last straw for RS and the last straw for eBay.
Knowing what your EBAY customer did to the radio from the time they received it and took it by the store would have a great impact on the real reason for the radio issue. Did your customer return the radio to you and was it really broken?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:34 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Radio Shack has changed...

I have worked for Radio Shack three different times in my adult life. The last go around was when they were transitioning to a cell phone shop. It was not fun to be there anymore. The kids in there don't know anything about the radio equipment that they sell. All the managers who used to know about that stuff have been replaced with kids pushing cell phones and credit applications from the moment you walk in the door. Going to Radio Shack as a kid was a great adventure. Picking up something new for my TRS-80 or Tandy 1000 or my shortwave, ham radio or scanner was always exciting. It is fairly depressing going in there now, and all the stuff I want to buy is on clearance with the hope that the transistors, electronic parts and radio gear will get out the door soon to make way for more cell phones. Progress.......
Old 09-16-2011, 11:04 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Honestly I think Cellphones are over rated anyhow... When the time comes to where all the cell sites overload and go on grid lock... I will still have my radios... I will still be able to communicate, and I will be sitting back watching the chaos unfold when everyone panics because their cellphone don't work anymore. People have become entirely too dependent on them... So go ahead RS... Sell your crappy cellphones. I'll get my parts and accessories for my radios somewhere else.