My Local Radio Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecollins11

Premium Subscriber
Went to the local Radio Shack store to see if they had any digital scanners they showed me the Pro 163 and a 164 they told me that the 163 and 164 would pick up all digital systems (P-25, Mototurbo, ProVoice) It is hard to believe that the folks at the local Radio Shack is selling those analog scanners to people wanting to buy a digital scanner.

Last edited:

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber
Went to the local Radio Shack store to see if they had any digital scanners they showed me the Pro 163 and a 164 they told me that the 163 and 164 would pick up all digital systems (P-25, Mototurbo, ProVoice) It is hard to believe that the folks at the local Radio Shack is selling those analog scanners to people wanting to buy a digital scanner.

Anytime I've gone into a Radio Shack, I seem to know more about ANYTHING in the store than they did. The sad part is that I've applied to Radio Shack in the past and they never hired me, yet they keep hiring these numbskulls again and again. Go figure?

W9NES

Funny,I was in my local RS store and a Volunteer Firefighter walked in and ask the local people at my RS Store if they sold two radio radios for Public Safety.The RS peple did not know what to tell him.I introduced my self to him.I told him that I would be glad to hook him up with a local two-way radio shop that I have bought two way radio equipment from..After I did that the RS Radio Shack Manager came over to talk with me.He asked me on the spot.You are what we are looking for with RS, ***Have you ever thought about working for us here at RS we could use a person like you** I looked at him and said Thank You, No Thanks!!! .After I did that the RS Manager for the local RS store kept calling me at home and asked the same thing.After 6 months the RS Manager that wanted me to work for him got transfered to another RS Store in another State.

Last edited:

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Tim, I was fortunate for the most part when I worked there. The original manager who hired me as a part timer liked the fact that I was well versed in radio and communications. I went through six managers in five years. Only one manager was a pain in the *** and complaining about my lack of cell phone sales and the DM was the same way. I had even invested in the WIN programs and used to program scanners for the customers when they bought one. Damned shame what corporate did to that chain.

W9NES

N2MWE Thanks for your post.Funny the Local RS Store that I go to does not say anything to me when I open the door, no greeting like ***Welcome to Radio Shack, Can I help you,etc***It is very funny when you need a part that you are needing for a project like a Motorola Antenna Connector.I did look it up on the RS Web Site and checked to see if they had it in inventory.They did have the part in stock and when I went to my local RS store the guy said who was behind the counter said *What is a Motorola Antenna Connector. I had to show him what a Motorola Antenna Connector looked like, I went to the pull out parts bin found the connector and showed him the RS Part-number that I found on the RS Web Site.I now go to another parts store that carries all of the parts that RS does not.Also my local RS store does not program scanners.They do not know how to do this as I have asked them.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Anytime I've gone into a Radio Shack, I seem to know more about ANYTHING in the store than they did. The sad part is that I've applied to Radio Shack in the past and they never hired me, yet they keep hiring these numbskulls again and again. Go figure?

I was told by a district mgr. for tandy corp. years ago, that they have a policy of NOT hiring those with electronic backgrounds or experience so go figure. :roll:

n9zas

ecollins11

Premium Subscriber

I sent Radio Shack in Fort Worth Tx a email about what the local store is doing, here is the email reply

Dear Eddie,
Thank you for contacting us regarding this issue. I apologize for the experience you had at our store. It is our intention to serve our customers and to provide a helpful and positive shopping experience at all times. I will take action and address this immediately to ensure the best possible experience at this location. I will be forwarding this information over to the District Manager that is in charge of that location and someone from that office will be contacting you to further discuss this situation.

Thank you again for bringing this to my attention. If it were not for customers like you who let me know about incidents like this, we would not be able to take the necessary corrective action to provide better service going forward.

Jolanda
Customer Escalation Team

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
N2MWE Thanks for your post.Funny the Local RS Store that I go to does not say anything to me when I open the door, no greeting like ***Welcome to Radio Shack, Can I help you,etc***It is very funny when you need a part that you are needing for a project like a Motorola Antenna Connector.I did look it up on the RS Web Site and checked to see if they had it in inventory.They did have the part in stock and when I went to my local RS store the guy said who was behind the counter said *What is a Motorola Antenna Connector. I had to show him what a Motorola Antenna Connector looked like, I went to the pull out parts bin found the connector and showed him the RS Part-number that I found on the RS Web Site.I now go to another parts store that carries all of the parts that RS does not.Also my local RS store does not program scanners.They do not know how to do this as I have asked them.

All stores are to greet the customer when they come in, If your store does not, contact the DM

Since you had already had the RS part number, why didn't you ask for the connector by that part number? I have been there over 7 years but still can not tell you all of the 5000 plus items we carry and I am a techno savvy employee.

As many of us on this forum know, programing scanners by hand is tough and Radio Shack does not provide the different software programs needed to program them.

nocpire

Premium Subscriber
163/164

Now if you had gone in there looking for a cell phone, you probably would've gotten the retail gang-bang from every salesperson there. Hell, I don't even go there for batteries any more. And yeah, the previous comment about what corporate has done with that chain is true. It's seems to me to be a little more like the strip mall retail shops where you can get beer, lotto tickets, pagers(?), and cellphones. Oh yeah....... cigarettes and beef jerky.

lindsay34654

Anyone remember when you could walk into any RS store and find everything there forCB Radios scanners TV, antennasfor just about anything and all the resistors and diods you needed. Now it looks like a flea market, and that slogan they have YOU HAVE QUESTIONS WE HAVE ANSWER, to what? any time you have a question unless it is about a cell phone they look at you like you have 3 heads.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Anyone remember when you could walk into any RS store and find everything there forCB Radios scanners TV, antennasfor just about anything and all the resistors and diods you needed. Now it looks like a flea market, and that slogan they have YOU HAVE QUESTIONS WE HAVE ANSWER, to what? any time you have a question unless it is about a cell phone they look at you like you have 3 heads.

Remember when you could open your then modern electronic equipment and actually see the resisters, capacitors, transistors and other parts with a magnifying glass and be able to replace them with out using a microscope? Real radios glowed in the dark and you could find tubes and tume testers at Radio Shack, and at the grocery stores and drug stores. Now cell phones (Full duplex, digital two way radios) outsell CB's 30 to 1, TV antennas are no good to watch ESPN, MTV, Discover, HBO, Showtime, and 100's of other TV channels. You used a rotating vinyl disk or moving Mylar tape to listen to music where the needle had to be replaced or the head cleaned.

Do I need to go on? Technology changed and Radio Shack, along with many other retailers, did also to keep up.

Chris45

Remember when you could open your then modern electronic equipment and actually see the resisters, capacitors, transistors and other parts with a magnifying glass and be able to replace them with out using a microscope? Real radios glowed in the dark and you could find tubes and tume testers at Radio Shack, and at the grocery stores and drug stores. Now cell phones (Full duplex, digital two way radios) outsell CB's 30 to 1, TV antennas are no good to watch ESPN, MTV, Discover, HBO, Showtime, and 100's of other TV channels. You used a rotating vinyl disk or moving Mylar tape to listen to music where the needle had to be replaced or the head cleaned.

Do I need to go on? Technology changed and Radio Shack, along with many other retailers, did also to keep up.
Yes, technology has certainly changed, but what I have read here regarding the quality of service at RS stores seems consistant and epidemic. They cannot or will not learn about the products they are selling. I find packs torn open and components missing. I took one to the counter and asked if they would buy it? It is just another reflection of the triumph of big business.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
I have to agree with the others on this; if you're going to RS to make a purchase, you better have a good idea of what you want and what it will or won't do. Most of the salespeople in the locations where I have been have little to no tech knowledge and when asked a tech question give you the "deer in the headlights" stare.

Those days when RS salespeople could give you a straight answer to your question where a long, long time ago....in a galaxy far, far away!

Russell

oft

Premium Subscriber
Radio Slack!!!!!

My experiences start off with the pathetic search engine they have on their web page since they no longer print out paper catalogs. I end up having to go to

Radio Shack Catalogs - General Catalogs

click on one of the catalogs, go to the index within that catalog, find the part and the RS#, and then go back to the Radio Slack webpage and enter the RS# into their search feature for pricing and local availability.

Then I go to the local store with my RS# and price and am greeted. When I am not there for a cellphone, toy, HDTV, DSS Dish, or a GPS, they get very disappointed and then they can't find me the part until they realize that components, jacks, RF adapter's etc. are located in those grey pull out drawers. After that, they quickly make the financial transaction because

(1): they know they can't "bullcrap" me.

(2): They make very little commission (if they are paid commission) on a $3.00 RF plug adapter.

Or worse is when I go in the store and actually find the part and go to the register but the salespeople are way too busy trying to sell the cellphone, toy, HDTV, DSS Dish, or a GPS to another customer and you wait and wait for someone to even acknowledge you.

The stores need someone that only does store cleanup and the register and someone else who can handle the 'questions'.

-----

I miss the day in rural towns where you could find RS as an "added product line" in mom-and-pop locally-owned businesses. I knew a family in a rural area that had that type of setup for over 25 years that was based inside a "small-engine (gas weedeaters, B and S, and Tecumseh) and marine outboard motor repair shop" the family owns until RS corporate decided that the RS needed to be 'standalone" ran as it's own separate business in a strip-mall environment wearing dress shirts and ties while raising the franchise fees. The family gave the RS up.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Sometime ago one of the Radio Shack stores in my town was run by an Amatuer Radio operator who knew the business. Go into the store tell him what you need he get it and if you are not sure what you needed he would have suggestions.

I recently went into one of the Radio Shack stores looking to replace my current security camera. I got looking around at the boxes had no cameras. They had taken all the cameras out and put them in what look like a store plastic bag in their back room. I left.

ecollins11

Premium Subscriber

Back in the late 60's 70's 80's an the 90's I went to Radio Shack all the time and they always had what I wanted I bought all my CB radios, Scanners, Antennas, Ham Radios, Coax etc at Radio Shack. A Lady and her Daughter in Law ran the local store and they had everything and a in store service Tech. This was back in the 80's and 90's, about 6 years ago the store was sold to new owners. When Radio Shack was a division of Tandy Corporation it was a lot better

RadioShack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

n5ims

When Radio Shack was a division of Tandy Corporation it was a lot better

They're still the same company, just dropped the "Tandy" name for the parent company and now the parent company is named "Radio Shack". RadioShack Corporation — Our Company — History

In 1959, the company shortened its name to Tandy Corporation, and in 1963, Tandy Corporation acquired RadioShack, marking the company's start as a personal electronics retailer. In 2000, Tandy Corporation changed its name to RadioShack Corp., listing on the NYSE under ticker symbol RSH.

The dropping of the "Tandy" name was due to them selling (or spinning off) of their leather division (including the name) in 2000. The leather division is where the "Tandy" name originated in the first place. They're now called Tandy Leather Factory (About Us - Tandy Leather Factory)

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber
.... .... ....

The dropping of the "Tandy" name was due to them selling (or spinning off) of their leather division (including the name) in 2000. The leather division is where the "Tandy" name originated in the first place. They're now called Tandy Leather Factory (About Us - Tandy Leather Factory)

I wonder what Mr Tandy said about that sale.....

I guess someone made a noise like a cheese.

<<returning to my box>>

Status
Not open for further replies.