PRO-96 Discriminator Tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Eric,

Recovered Audio as described in the Pro-92/2067 Service Manual, is at TP301 or pin 9 of IC301 which is the 3rd IF Amp et al. This is TP4, also pin 9 of IC6 in the Pro-95 also the third Amp. The schematic for the Pro-96 has the same IC but called IC2 for the third Amp and pin 9 with TP4 serving the same mission as the other two radios. All three have the same part number for this IC and each are coupled to the squelch control via a 330p cap from pin9 and the respective TP.

I would bet on pin 9, which is called Audio Output in the 96 Service Manual. TP4 of course is ideally the point to tap.

BTW, your Michigan trunking page looks outstanding.

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
fmon

Thanks for that info, that is what I was looking for exactly............and thanks for looking at the page, there will many updates to it in the next couple of weeks...

Eric

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
I dont know if I personally will do it.........I think I will have someone that has a bit more experience at it then me..........seems like my hands shake more when it comes down to the TINY stuff!!

I will let you know if I get it done

Eric

kd7cra

Pro-96 Discriminator Tap

I tapped my pro-96 the other day, and have to say this is the easiest tap i've installed on a radioshack handheld scanner. With most of the other pro-XX scanners everything is packed so tight in the case theres hardly any room for an output jack. Not so with the pro-96. Theres pleanty of room to install an 1/8" jack. I mounted mine on the side right next to the PC/IF jack. As far as the actual tap, TP4 is easily accessable; its at the top of the board under the squelch control. The nice thing is to get to it all you have to do is pull the back off the scanner. Theres no need to remove any other little screws or pull circuit boards apart once the back is off. I attached a 2.2 micofarad tantalum cap to TP4 and then routed that to the tip of the jack and routed the ground of the jack to a ground on the board. Easy, and its working great.

Bryan

Chris-M

I finished my discriminator tap mod this evening. It's very easy to do and there is a lot of room to work with as Bryan mentioned. Here are some pics of the scanner's internals, both before and after the mod.

Chris-M

shielded coax pic

I soldered the shield to a solder blob on an internal RF shield. The center conductor goes to TP4. I used a Radio Shack 1/8th in. phone jack, part number 274-248 (comes in a pack of 2). Before drilling, I carefully examined the case and internal components so as not to have any contact with a board or components. And for added comfort I put heat shrink tubing on the exposed runs of shield in case they made contact with anything internally when I closed the case back up.

KE5HOB

What happened to the photos? I am hoping to get a pro-96 for my birthday May 8th, and I want to tap it.

snappalapagus

Hi Guys, Just read all your info RE tapping the Discriminator for sotware apps etc. I have a quick question about a related topic and was wondering if you could shed some light on .
I'm a TV and radio broadcast tech of 25 years experience from HF to the Digital radio and have heard so much recovered audio from receivers it's not funny. The Pro96 audio would have to be the harshist tinny scratchy audio feed I'fe possibly ever heard. When I compare it to say an Icom I have to retard any trebble and boost the amp as much aspossibly to compensate for it's high response at the top end. Now this is not just for pleasure sake. Recovered audio which had a bias toward the harsh trebble end actually makes recovered signals close to the muting level harder to hear due to the trebbly breaking in of the noise. So all that taken as read, I was hoping someone had decided to fine a better point or a feed through a suitable L/C network to get this nice to listen to. Maybe it wasn't so quick, but you guys were discussing a close subject so I thought it was worth a go.

Thanks

Greg. Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.