Pro-18 Digital Trunking Scanner - Post release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Now that the Pro-18 has been released, and I see at least two people (maybe three?) have purchased the 18, I found the PDF owners manual and added it to the Wiki for reference:
Pro-18 - The RadioReference Wiki

From what I can tell, no new surprises, and the slimmed-down feature set is just as mentioned on the GRE PSR800 thread:
(For reference)
Features found on the GRE PSR-800 Not found on the Pro-18

Recording / playback
200 scan lists (PRO-18 has 100 play lists)
Tri-color alert LED
Discriminator output
V-Scanner II
Scan Sets
Clock display while "off" (and connected to external power)
Auto power-on ("alarm clock")
"Extra" audio alert tones (PRO-18 has the 7 from PSR-500; PSR-800 has 8 more)
Power-on password

The link on the RadioShack page does not always show up on all browsers I noticed, so you may need to go with a known working PC connection to look at or download the PDF manual.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I also noted that ScannerMaster is now carrying the Pro-18 with the same price point as RadioShack, $499.95 (without shipping), free shipping when shipped direct from RadioShack (or to store), while the PSR800 with better feature set is $445.00 at ScannerMaster. :roll:
IMHO, the 18 would sell better at $400 as it stands, even before a sale price. :evil:
Sort of a cart before the horse scenario. Time will tell how well it will sell, or how long before the price drops before the GRE base/mobile comes out, but to me this looks like a lame-duck as it stands.

The good news is that the PSR800 carry case that ScannerMaster currently sells, looks to be able to work with the Pro-18. Maybe by design? :eek:

I'd be interested to hear from others if the front surface the Pro-18 is the same as the PSR800 and if they see any problems with pealing, or if this will be avoided because it is a different finish. From the few pictures available the coating looks to be similar. And for those who have both, do they miss any of the features not found on the PSR800?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
So simply put is this now the best scanner on the market for the common man?!!

No. Did you read Dave's posts? He clearly states that the PRO-18 is nothing but a stripped down version of the PSR-800 that costs $55 more.

So, simply put: Anyone who buys the PRO-18 is paying more for less. :roll:

AC2OY

No. Did you read Dave's posts? He clearly states that the PRO-18 is nothing but a stripped down version of the PSR-800 that costs $55 more.

So, simply put: Anyone who buys the PRO-18 is paying more for less. :roll:

Gee thanks Skippy for all your help and the other scarscastic ******* from Arizonia or wherever the f#%k he comes from.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
OK guys play nice. It's a passionate hobby, now let's get on topic. :mad:

Where are those guys who are early adopters? Let's have some input from hands on users.:cool:

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Yup, i would like to know if the paint is peeling off the case as the GRE brand is famous for....

slatescan

Premium Subscriber
I love my radio! with the PC program i can change my cofig for a trip if need be.

i can see the site name and radio ID if i have that checked in settings

the only con is the program . hard to use.

and its picking up the Vandy TRS from my area of town . that's a good 30 miles away

so i give it ****1/2 out of 5 stars

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Thanks for the feedback, David. Do you have the ability to post a picture or two? If not, no big deal.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Checking various store inventories via zip code, the Radio Shack site doesn't show any available in many locations checked. Has anyone purchased from a store, or is ship to home/store the only current option, I wonder?

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Checking various store inventories via zip code, the Radio Shack site doesn't show any available in many locations checked. Has anyone purchased from a store, or is ship to home/store the only current option, I wonder?

Ordered mine in the store and had it shipped to home.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Bought mine in store 38261. It has a pretty good receiver been out testing running beside pro-106, pro-197, pro-96, and at home beside a 785D. Only hang up is you can not charge batteries and listen to it must turn off or use ext charger which I have 1 hour conditioner charger.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Well it appears that some of you have added your reviews and opinions to the Radioshack Pro-18 web page. It will be interesting to see if anything becomes of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.