RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 3:43 AM

Question Re: Pro-164 audio skipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickH View Post
I looked at Broward county in the database. There are 7 freqs. that would be affected by rebanding, The 866, 867 and 868 MHz freqs. should change to 851, 852 and 853 freqs. The numbers after the decimal point should not have changed. If that's the case, they are all still capable of being scanned by non re-banded scanners. The criteria is if a freq. has a zero in the 4th decimal place (like 851.0250), it can not be tracked unless the scanner has been re-banded. If it has a 5 in that 4th place (like 851.0125) it can be tracked OK.
Well here's the deal: Those 7 freqs that start with 866 and up are all registered to the school board and is only included in the Site listing in case you want to scan the School Board stuff. I have tried including those freqs, I've tried leaving out those 7 School board freqs, I've tried Normal mode, I've tried rebanded mode, all with same results: no matter what I do it cuts off audio. I have tried to narrow it down to maybe it being 1 particular troublesome freq but I can't because it happens sporadically to different freqs... I am going to try 1 more thing and then I am gonna buy a Uniden and say screw RadioShack because I believe Uniden is a more superior scanner than cheapo RadioShack, hence the big price difference! I am gonna go to RS and buy an extended antenna I can put outside my house on a window or my backyard or something and see if that improves reception and then if that doesn't work I'm gonna try to sell this RS one and buy a Uniden one. I have NO other explanation as to why this damn thing keeps cutting out audio sporadically like it has been since day 1 out of the box, in my 17 years of scanning I've NEVER encountered anything like this... It can't be wrong freqs because I have looked on the FCC website and verified I'm using the right ones...
Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2012, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidQT69 View Post
Well here's the deal: Those 7 freqs that start with 866 and up are all registered to the school board and is only included in the Site listing in case you want to scan the School Board stuff. ...
You're right. Those 7 freqs. are a separate trunked system and should not be listed the way they are in the RR database.
In the FCC database, KNJH368 has 21 freqs. and 6 sites. That seems to be the main Sheriff's system. There is another large system with only 3 sites. It also uses some of the same freqs.
The whole thing seems strange. I think someone should run Trunker or another similar program to see exactly what the system(s) are all about.
Old 01-22-2012, 8:52 AM

those 7 freq. are for the digital talk groups so your pro164 cant decode them thats why your scanner cant track them and you miss converstions
Old 01-22-2012, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny49 View Post
those 7 freq. are for the digital talk groups so your pro164 cant decode them thats why your scanner cant track them and you miss converstions
That's very interesting. Where did you find that information?
Old 01-22-2012, 1:15 PM

Default Re: Pro-164 audio skipping

Quote:

no those 7 freq are for the local school board talkgroups, my scanner receives those just fine, they aren't digital so not sure where u got that info from... Besides, the freq wouldn't be digital only the talkgroups would be...
Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2012, 3:55 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Have you asked in the Florida forum is there is someone close to you with a ARC300 file that you can look at or load into your scanner?
+ HF, VHF & UHF Xceivers from Alinco Icom Kenwood Yaesu Vertex Maxon Mot & RS
Old 01-22-2012, 10:45 PM

click on the call sign and you will see that it is for 911 dispatching and fire and not schools
Old 01-23-2012, 6:10 AM

Quote:
click on the call sign and you will see that it is for 911 dispatching and fire and not schools
Which call sign?
Where did you find the link to click on?
Old 01-23-2012, 8:48 AM

its in the db.
Sponsored links

Old 01-23-2012, 9:26 AM

Quote:
its in the db.
This is the Broward county entry in the RR database and I couldn't find a callsign there. Again, WHICH callsign? WWWW123??

Broward County Public Services Trunking System, Broward County, Florida - Scanner Frequencies
Old 01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Callsign

Click on Primary under sites.

Then clock on KNJH368

There are no frequencies that are 866MHz that I can see. It's a link tot he FCC data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickH View Post
This is the Broward county entry in the RR database and I couldn't find a callsign there. Again, WHICH callsign? WWWW123??

Broward County Public Services Trunking System, Broward County, Florida - Scanner Frequencies
http://W8MSP.com
E-Mail W8MSP@W8MSP.com
E-Mail detroit780@radioreference.com
Old 01-23-2012, 1:08 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
The scanner is 6 months old and has done this since day 1 out of the box. And I've tried with Radio Shack they won't take returns after 30 days and the guy that works there, who I'm surprised if he even graduated High School let alone giving me electronics advice on a subject I probably know 200 times more than he does, says it might be a programming issue. I can assure you I know how to program a scanner, by hand and using the software... LOL I guess I'll just try to sell it and buy a Uniden or something, serves me right for not buying Uniden in the first place they seem to make a far superior scanner than Radio Shack...
Don't take it out on GRE because it is not working. Any unit could be bad out of the box. That is why they don't sell stuff with a warranty that starts one month after buying it.
I have a PSR 500 and have had a 106 and never had a problem with a MOT, APCO 25 or any other scanning with it.
There are so many factors. I know people listening in the Detroit area here in Michigan have so much fun and even people close to the towers still have problems and has nothing to do with the scanner.

Last edited by Skud; 01-23-2012 at 1:14 PM..
Old 01-23-2012, 1:54 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skud View Post
Don't take it out on GRE because it is not working. Any unit could be bad out of the box. That is why they don't sell stuff with a warranty that starts one month after buying it.
I have a PSR 500 and have had a 106 and never had a problem with a MOT, APCO 25 or any other scanning with it.
There are so many factors. I know people listening in the Detroit area here in Michigan have so much fun and even people close to the towers still have problems and has nothing to do with the scanner.

BTW, this radio has a 1 year warranty. have the store send it in to be checked.
Old 01-23-2012, 2:13 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Pro 164 scanner skipping

If you have programming software be sure your Frequency listing the DELAY is turned on and in the channel software there is a DELAY setting for the talk group as well I use 2000 and don't miss a thing
Old 01-24-2012, 2:17 AM

Thumbs up Re: Pro-164 audio skipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC5EIB View Post
BTW, this radio has a 1 year warranty. have the store send it in to be checked.

Yeah I thought of that, I really don't think it's the scanner, it's probly just the area my house is in, I just remembered that I have a powerline that directly connects to my house from the pole and that could be causing interference... Thanks to all of you for your advice.
Sponsored links
Old 01-24-2012, 10:07 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Yeah I thought of that, I really don't think it's the scanner, it's probly just the area my house is in, I just remembered that I have a powerline that directly connects to my house from the pole and that could be causing interference... Thanks to all of you for your advice.
Go for it anyway, the check-up is free. BTW - If the power line is the problem, which it should not, then getting a Uniden radio will not help. You might also be getting front end overload from an near by transmiter ot a leaky cable tv system.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:13 AM

Thumbs up Re: Pro-164 audio skipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skud View Post
I hate to tell you this but you are wrong, I bought a Uniden BCT-15X scanner last week and listened to both scanners at the same time and my Uniden NEVER skips any audio all transmissions are complete and full, and my RadioShack Pro-164 skips audio while I can still hear it on my Uniden. My Uniden hasn't missed or cut off a transmission in a whole week. So I hate to say it but Uniden IS a far more superior scanner than GRE/RadioShack. I've also noticed a marked reception difference, my Uniden has crystal clear reception versus my Pro-164 has scratchy and cloudy reception. And I have the same exact antenna on both scanners.
Old 02-04-2012, 4:04 AM

Default Broward

Broward County was not rebanded so no need to fool with that. See attached screenshots for my broward setup in arc300, this works great.
Attached Images

Tags
audio issues, cutoff transmission, pro-164, radioshack