RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 4:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael-SATX View Post
Alberto (al95) you were the guy that had me send both my WIN500 and WIN97 file for your SATX visit.
Boy, you never hinted at any problems with your Pro-106 ... sorry to hear about those 2 problems.
I work for RS here in SATX and have recently seen a Pro-106 sent in & fixed out of warranty successfuly, etc.
I say have your RS send that puppy in with $20 for an estimate ... it would be well worth getting it done !
To date I have seen 2 Pro-106's have their BNC antenna connectors resoldered by our repair center perfect.
Let me know if I can be of help. Also, did you get a chance to try my WIN500 & WIN97 files while in SA ?
Thanks
I have 2 Pro-106. One I brought in the store when it was on special, the other I brought in ebay. The one I brought on ebay is giving me problems. When I open the ebay radio I could see that someone tried to do the headphone jack to ground trick but melt the jack plastic. Maybe thats way it is not release when I remove the earphones from my radio then I need to stick in something to move around the jack hole until I hear my weather station. The BNC connection seems broken rather have it replace then resolder and have them do the alignment. It was great hearing all of the traffic in my radios but only for a short time I spent most of the time with family and visiting my aunt.

Last edited by al95; 03-31-2012 at 4:23 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 03-31-2012, 4:21 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Double post
Old 03-31-2012, 8:40 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by al95 View Post
here is a response from RS:

Dear Alberto,

Thank you for contacting RadioShack.com.

We appreciate your email and would be happy to assist you.
Unfortunately, we do not offer a repair service for out-of-warranty
products and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
As a suggestion, you may be able to find a repairman in your area that
would be able to assist you with the repair of your Scanner.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you, and
thank you again for contacting RadioShack.com.

Sincerely,

Ian D.
Customer Service
RadioShack.com

If a Member that works in RS can answer if this is correct or incorrect. I will be going to my local RS to have them send in my radio to repair.
Not sure where that letter came from but Radio Shack does accept "Out Of Warranty" items for repair including a number of NON Radio Shack brands. All NON warranty repairs for scanners will require a non refundable $20 deposit that would be applied to any repairs. Your local company owned store can help you. While there are a number of part time associates that are not aware of the repair process, all store managers should.
+ HF, VHF & UHF Xceivers from Alinco Icom Kenwood Yaesu Vertex Maxon Mot & RS
Old 03-31-2012, 8:44 PM

Wow! Not even a Radio Shack customer service agent from corporate can give accurate information. That's sad... almost comical.

Even my local store refuses to believe there is a Radio Shack "Unlimited" division and there is no convincing them otherwise.

Of course I bet there's adequate training and communication through the Radio Shack ranks on how to sell cell phones.
Always looking for a time machine to relive those 70's and 80's Radio Shack glory days!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:40 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphipps View Post
Wow! Not even a Radio Shack customer service agent from corporate can give accurate information. That's sad... almost comical.

Even my local store refuses to believe there is a Radio Shack "Unlimited" division and there is no convincing them otherwise.

Of course I bet there's adequate training and communication through the Radio Shack ranks on how to sell cell phones.
Of the 9 stores around Joplin Mo, only the store at 202 E CENTENNIAL DR in PITTSBURG is company owned and they should know about the Radio Shack "Unlimited" division. Can't say about the 8 franchise locations in the area.
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2012, 4:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I went to my nearest RS store and they will be sending out my radio out tommorrow. They charge a $25.00 deposit if I repair my radio it will be credited to my repair bill. Thanks everybody that help. I went to 3 store and the forth the one nearest me know what they are doing.
Old 04-01-2012, 5:08 PM

I know... but I'm not going to drive 30 miles to order a few parts when there's a perfectly good "franchise" store 6 blocks from home that should be able to handle this or any other service that Radio Shack advertises and promotes.

Anyway, I've been fighting and running into this kind of stuff with Radio Shack for 20 years. Definitely nothing new. Sure wish the Radio Shack of the '80s was back! Everyone knew what was going on back then.

al95... good to hear you got it sent off! Really sad you had to go to 4 stores before someone would help. I'd definitely give that last store all of my business.

Keep us informed how the repair goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC5EIB View Post
Of the 9 stores around Joplin Mo, only the store at 202 E CENTENNIAL DR in PITTSBURG is company owned and they should know about the Radio Shack "Unlimited" division. Can't say about the 8 franchise locations in the area.
Always looking for a time machine to relive those 70's and 80's Radio Shack glory days!
Old 04-02-2012, 9:49 AM
DataBase Administrator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I heard back from the Repair Center this morning,

Erik,
RadioShack Service Centers do provide repair service for this RadioShack product and can also provide out-of-warranty repair services on a variety of other brands. Please extend our apologies to this customer.
Rules and guidelines for forum post content
Old 04-02-2012, 12:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Smile Radio heading to repair shop finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqscan View Post
I heard back from the Repair Center this morning,

Erik,
RadioShack Service Centers do provide repair service for this RadioShack product and can also provide out-of-warranty repair services on a variety of other brands. Please extend our apologies to this customer.
Thanks

I went to RS they charged me $25.00 but when I check my receipt they charge me some batteries that where not mine it was only $20.00 deposit. It left the store today it might arrive at the repair center by tommorrow or Wed the 4th. Once again Thanks to everyone that responded I hope they(RS) train their employees in customer service. Does anyone know how much they charge to replace the BNC connector because my little bother was sticking a needle into the antenna port and fold one of the side connections all the to the other side connector so I rather replace the BNC then to fix it? I straighten it up but I don't what any problems in the future I also ask to be aligned, and to replace the headphone jack because my brother once more stick something in jack and broke something or a piece metal is stick out from behind the headphone jack thats when I notice that they tried to do ground trick in this scanner.

Last edited by al95; 04-02-2012 at 12:19 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 04-05-2012, 9:01 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Does anyone know how many days it takes a radio to reach the repair center? Maybe it is due to the weather in that area. What happens if my radio got destroyed or more damaged with this weather in the semi-truck? I just hope they repair it and comes back soon.
Old 04-06-2012, 1:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I had to email the RS repair center to see if my radio had arrive at the center, because the web page they gave had no updates for serve days so I email them yesterday. This afternoon I received a email from RS letting me know that my radio has not arrive at the repair center. When I went to check the status update there was one. Radioshack store shipped to center on 04/06/02012 at 11:43 a.m and I received the email at 11:45 a.m. I think the store forgot to shipped it out on monday as promise.
Old 04-06-2012, 1:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Geez, enough of RS. They jumped the shark years ago, they were super in the 60's. 70' and 80's. I have moved on to other outlets and have no use for them.
Old 04-06-2012, 3:15 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1eddie View Post
Geez, enough of RS. They jumped the shark years ago, they were super in the 60's. 70' and 80's. I have moved on to other outlets and have no use for them.
Then why are you reading the Radio Shack Scanner forum?

Al95: not sure of your item but some stores run short on supplies (Boxes and packing paper) to ship items out and wait till one of the orders arrive. You could have called the store and asked for a FedEx tracking number and followed the shipment.
Old 04-06-2012, 3:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Talking

Quote:
Then why are you reading the Radio Shack Scanner forum?

Al95: not sure of your item but some stores run short on supplies (Boxes and packing paper) to ship items out and wait till one of the orders arrive. You could have called the store and asked for a FedEx tracking number and followed the shipment.
I love the scanner most of my scanners are from RS. It is not the repair center fault but the employee that deals with the constumer in the store sometimes don't know what you are asking them.
Old 04-06-2012, 3:25 PM

I have a Pro-164 and I have taken it to 3 different radio shacks. Each one said they didn't do in store repairs, when i asked about sending it out they just looked at me like I was stupid. So far I'm having no luck, can anyone give me a good number to call to get it sent out for repairs?

It seems to have a problem with the antenna. When i use signal stalker it just sits on one frequency and no amount of pushing the up and down buttons will get it to change freq. When I have it on a normal channel like CB, I just get little skips of static when it receives.

For a few days before it completely went out I was getting what sounded like a slide whistle any time it would receive. I opened it up and as far as I could see nothing looked broken. The antenna assembly is not loose or anything, I suppose it's some kind of problem with the software.

Any input would be helpful

I'm in Illinois

Last edited by TrenchFeeder; 04-06-2012 at 3:28 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2012, 3:26 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

just saying you could also have followed up with a call to the store instead of calling the service center
Old 04-07-2012, 12:13 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thumbs up

Quote:
just saying you could also have followed up with a call to the store instead of calling the service center
I did call the store to ask about the tracking # he told me he would call me back with that info never call me. At least I know it was shipped out today.
Thanks I will post cost of the repair and when I receive my radio back from the store.

Once again Thanks
Old 04-11-2012, 1:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Today the service center call mje with an estimate of $78.00 $49.00 for labor and $29.00 for parts
Old 04-20-2012, 12:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Almost 3Wks without my second scanner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al95 View Post
Today the service center call mje with an estimate of $78.00 $49.00 for labor and $29.00 for parts
In the status lookup page it reads parts have been ordered on 04//11/2012. There have been no more status updates since then. In total it has been 3wks without my second scanner Pro-106. One week the store didn't shipped it. Drop off 04/01/2012 shipped on 04/06/2012 arrived at the national repair depot on 04/10/2012 recieved the estimate call on 04/11/2012 gave them the ok to do the repair, parts where ordered on 04/11/2012 i'm still waiting.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:51 AM

I picked my Pro 97 up from my local Radio Shack store yesterday. I bought some new rechargeable batteries at the same time so it's recharging right now. The display is working and I can read the frequencies though. The store called me last week to pick it up but I wasn't home to get the call and I don't have an answering machine but I knew they called from viewing my caller ID. I don't know how many time's they called you but you could give them a call to find out if it's back at the store yet for I don't know how many time's they will call. My repair came to $65 plus the $20 for freight back and forth.