Pro-197 Programming software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tramagod

I just bought a pro-197 online and want to have everything I need for programming when it arrives. I'm going out to my local Rat Shack tomorrow to pick up the programming cable. What I would like now is suggestions from experienced users of that radio on the best available programming software. I iknow free is good sometimes, and there are several programs available. My two priorities are customer support and ease of use. Whatever input I could get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I've tried all the various programs and ended up with what I started with, WIN500.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Which is "best" is a judgement call. What works well for me, and the way I process information, might not work for you.

The "Big 3" programming software options offer free trials. Check them out, then purchase the one you like. (All three authors frequent the boards here, and are very helpful.)

michaelmikesj

I have noticed alot of people Not taking the time to simply READ THE MANUAL. Programming software is probably nice to have, but what does it really do for you. I will tell you. It does the work for you, that is what it does. Reading the manual and becomming familiar with the programming is the best way to go IMHO. This way you (the operator) are completely familiar with your radio and know how to work with it. These radios are not hard to understand and are very simple to program and use if you just take the time to do it yourself. Plus you save alot of cash that you can put down on a nice outdoor antenna.

wizardb

Arc 500 2-week trial comes with the programming cable from RS. I used that to get started with along with the manual. It accomplished all I needed. Learned a lot from the manual so not sure I will even buy any software at this point.

Tramagod

Thanks to all for your suugestions and guidance,I will try the "Big 3" and make a decision from there. As for reading the manual, been there done that. Some manuals are written more clearly and easier to follow than others. I don't think using software makes one mentally weak, it just makes the process easier, as it is intended to do. I have programmed several trunking scanners by hand until one day I realized there was in fact an easier way. "Work smarter, not harder". Thanks all for your responses.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
I have arc xtpro for my bc396xt, but I used arc 500 for my 106 and I also alternated with Win 500. I actually prefer Win 500 now. I have Win97 for my Pro-163 also. I just looked at PSRE 500and from the screenshots it looks a lot like Win500 - are there actually any differences with the two?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have arc xtpro for my bc396xt, but I used arc 500 for my 106 and I also alternated with Win 500. I actually prefer Win 500 now. I have Win97 for my Pro-163 also. I just looked at PSRE 500and from the screenshots it looks a lot like Win500 - are there actually any differences with the two?
While there are some similarities, one difference between the two is how you edit a frequency. In Win500, you have your "Conventional objects" tab, that will display all of them on a page. You have the same option in PSREdit500. The difference is that to make a change, in Win500, you can do it on that page- update a PL/CTCSS, DCS or NAC code, correct/change the frequency, backlight/LED settings, whatever. In PSREdit500, you click on the frequency to bring up a small pop-up menu to change that objects attributes. Not a big deal, both methods work, but Win500 is a little faster & intuitive in that regard, at least to my tastes.

You can still select (or highlight) a group of objects and make the same change to all in PSREdit (like toggle the backlight setting), by 'editing multiple objects' in the pop-up. I can work with either, and do on occasion, though I use Win500 more than PSREdit500 because of the editing differences. It also seems a little easier to insert a new frequency, in the place within the scanlist, that I want it, in Win500, than with PSREdit500. I can still get it done with the latter, just takes me an extra step or two (of course, I may have overlooked a shortcut somewhere for that).

I've never used ARC500, so I can't compare it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.