Radio Shack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allan_Love_Jr

Radio Shack lost me as a customer. When they start charging products on line to purchase by credit cards. I look the other way. I will never buy anything for them ever again.The good days are gone.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Radio Shack lost me as a customer. When they start charging products on line to purchase by credit cards. I look the other way. I will never buy anything for them ever again.The good days are gone.

Your post is a little difficult to understand, can you re-read your post and elaborate on what you mean?

DickH

There Scanner Radios. They don't stock them in the store anymore.

That is not what your original post implied - that you are charged extra for using a credit card - is that what you were trying to say?

Also, how many RS stores do not carry scanners in stock? Just the one in your area?

SCPD

QRT
agree

Agree! The store in the south side of my city carries them but NO knowledge. Also the one on the north side near my work does not carry them but does carry accessories, and again no knowledge. My wife and I are into listening to scanners as a hobby to past the time. However in no way an electronic type person and tend to get lost in the jargon. This website is nice, however just want to talk to a live person sometimes. I now shop ebay and Scanner Master. My antenna I purchased from the Antenna Farm. Again, would be nice to talk to flesh and blood when in need of items.

SquierStrat

i think what he was trying to say is when they start putting products online only, where you have to pay with a credit card.

and in a way its kinda sad. I went to my local RS for an 800mhz antenna. They didnt have it in stock, and neither of the 2 employees there at the time would have been able to find it on their computer to order, without my assistance

SCPD

QRT
I'm sorry, but, do we really need another RS bash thread. I think its well understood that any radio shack (employee or store, pick your point-of-view) can sell you 100 cell phones before they even understand what a scanner is.

Move on, folks, move on... :)

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Agree! The store in the south side of my city carries them but NO knowledge. Also the one on the north side near my work does not carry them but does carry accessories, and again no knowledge. My wife and I are into listening to scanners as a hobby to past the time. However in no way an electronic type person and tend to get lost in the jargon. This website is nice, however just want to talk to a live person sometimes. I now shop ebay and Scanner Master. My antenna I purchased from the Antenna Farm. Again, would be nice to talk to flesh and blood when in need of items.

As a RS employee, I do not know everything about the 40 different cell phones, 10 different E-Readers, 20 different home phones, 10 different routers, .... but I do know where to look information about them. Oh, I do know everything about the scanners we carry.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
Well, Sir, YOU are of the MINORITY when it comes to RS employees any more.

My hat's off to you. My experience is that an RS store is "good" or "pathetic", with little in between anymore.

Within a 5 mile radius of me, there is a store that ooozes nostalgia from the past. The staff know stuff, help, love to chat about the scanners and know their "stuff" inside and out, and, ALWAYS seem to have exactly what you want/need. They get my money.

The "other" one..... well....... let's just say it is a business making money by accident and is a testament to the abysmal standards and expectations of its customers and deserves to be shuttered.

Amazing what 5 miles can do.

The testamonial above is a absolute indication of the failure of RS upper level managment. If one store can do it right, there is absolutely no excuse why they ALL can't get it right. I am sure a quick glance at the "numbers" from either store would demonstrate the disparity in 5 minutes/miles. Clearly, the "company" doesn't care, or has no clue how to fix it.

Just my $0.05.

millrad

Premium Subscriber
It's not 1975 any more, and RS staff are not electronics and radio buffs. as they once might have been.
Salespeople are apt to know more about the latest trendy digital devices like tablets and iPods, then about scanners. This should come as a surprise to absolutely no one.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Hmm...going back to the OP, couldn't one simply order through the store using a check, or cash and then pick it up later? If you could not do that, oh dear.

I never expect a RS employee to be knowledgeable about the things I'm after, so I'm never disappointed. That's not to say I don't enjoy a nice surprise from time to time either.

It's great when I can pick up an odd connector, or even three different versions of a toroid choke from a Radio Shack today, rather than ordering online, or having to wait until Monday for the local electronic shop that has one of everything and knowledgable staff is closed for the weekend.

CMale0624

Premium Subscriber
Let's face it, they aren't going to pay a sales clerk $40K a year to help you pick out a scanner or anything else for that matter. They have high school kid's in the store's these day's making at the most $10 an hour so Radio Shack can keep it's cost's down. The Radio Shack I go to (which is an actual Radio Shack store and NOT a franchise) is loaded with all kind's of cellphone's and computer stuff like mouse's, external hard drive's and thing's like that. They only had two scanner's on display and that's probably because they don't seel that many of them anymore.

Chris
Pro 97 (2)

vansigint98661

Premium Subscriber
To KC5EIB I would say that clearly as an Amateur, your interest would be in that area. Yes, one does expect these kids to know more about pads, computer accessories, phones, and so forth than us perhaps, but one might also anticipate that you know your stock and/or products in your catalog (even on-line).

As for: "Oh, I do know everything about the scanners we carry.", I would have to say in the case of any store locally that would be only two, and at least one would be the $99.95 table-top model that won't even receive the local public safety trunk!

I purchased at Christmas time a Pro-197, which by the time it was over cost quite a bit more. They advertised Free shipping, but there was a catch. You had to sign up for some service at $X.xx each month. IN other words, it was a deceptive come-on (Yeah, I know....whoda thunk?!) Then, they would only deliver with a signature. I don't know about all of you, but I can't stick around home for a couple days waiting for a radio to be delivered. Something on the e-mail indicated that it was not available for delivery to a FedEx store either. But my complaint to them changed that and it solved the issue, albeit an extra day later before available. I agree there are issues, but since they don't have many stores in this area that carry the high-end digital radios, you cannot find them in store. It wasn't until a week later that I found one in Vancouver. Typically, as I said, they have the low end table top and a trunking handheld locally. The only decent store is nearly 15 miles away at the other end of town. And they are iffy.

It's not what it once was, but I've frankly known that since the 1980s. We all love to bash them because after all their name is "Radio Shack" not Cell World, but at least they gave us a laugh for a year when their tag line was "Radio Shack. If you have questions, we have answers." Someone once posted to that one at the time....."If you have questions, we have blank stares"

What can we say. All of these issues are valid, but the one guy is correct they are not going to change. The corporate model is sales, not knowledge and service is not an offering. If you find one that's exceptional, use it and be greatful.

Where I dissagree about his "move on" statement is, these forums are for us to vent if we so want. It's sharing ideas and experiences. That's how we keep abreast of what is happening. On the up-side, every time they have a sale on a great scanner, it shows up here too, and they make a killing selling more since the scanner community responds. I don't really hear them complaining about Radio Shack being a topic in these forums.

SCPD

QRT
I don't have a Radio Shack to complain about. They closed up here in Canada a long time ago. So .. consider yourself lucky that you can complain about getting some service from Radio Shack.

When I want a scanner ... I order it online as I don't have very many choices.

80z1r

Premium Subscriber
The RS in Woodstown,NJ may not stock all the current scanners,yes they will order what they donot stock promptly. The owmer and the salespeople are very knowledgeble about scanners ( as well as all their other products), very helpful with questions,asessories, and they program unit if the customer wants.

CMale0624

Premium Subscriber
There are basically two type's of Radio Shack's. One is corporate and the other is franchise. You might as well forget the franchise one to do anything for you such as repair or ordering part's but the corporate store is a lot more helpfull. I was in a franchise Radio Shack today because I needed to buy 2 of those little batteries that are shaped like a quarter. I figured while I was there I would look over in the scanner section and take a stab at maybe they would have the yellow or black battery holder's for my Pro 97 (I saw a yellow one on Ebay for $12.99) No such luck, they didn't have either so I took my batteries up to the cashier to pay for them and I asked the clerk behind the register if he could order them to which he said "No" He told me that he has two other customer's who come in regulary to try and order part's and get thing's repaired with no luck. It was then that I told him that HIS Radio Shack was probably a franchise store and they don't order part's or do repair's and this guy swore up and down that he wasn't a franchise store but a corporate store. I guess when I said quite loudly that they don't repair stuff that he got a little hot and I told him to tell his customer's where the corporate Radio Shack was and send his customer's over there and they will get more help.
I wonder if you buy a Radio Shack scanner through Scannermaster if Scannermaster stand's behind the product or do they just send it along to Radio Shack when there's a problem with it.
Chris
PRO 97 (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.