Pro 96 Upgrade to 1.4 CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyMac

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

I have a older Pro 96 and I was wondering how to go about getting it upgraded to the 1.4 CPU?. I didn't know if its something I can do online or I have to bring it back to Radio Shack and have it sent out. If anyone has sent there's out for the update does RS charge you?. Thanks in advance for anyone who can send me some help.

NINN27

if i have to send my pro96 back to FW for an upgrade, they can kiss my ass... i didnt have my radio for a month while they did what should have been a "1 week" thing

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
If it's not under warranty it is $50. What version of the CPU do you have now? Why do you want the upgrade?

InlandAZ

JimmyMac said:
Hello All,

I have a older Pro 96 and I was wondering how to go about getting it upgraded to the 1.4 CPU?. I didn't know if its something I can do online or I have to bring it back to Radio Shack and have it sent out. If anyone has sent there's out for the update does RS charge you?. Thanks in advance for anyone who can send me some help.
Exactly where did you find a reference to CPU 1.4 for the PRO 96? So far as I am aware, 1.3 is the most current version.

fireant

I read on here a while back there is no differences in the 1.3 and 1.4 but cannot find the link to it.

fireant

rdale

Premium Subscriber
CPU 1.3 and 1.4 are identical operationally. If your radio says 1.3, you have the latest.

Tom-H

InlandAZ said:
Exactly where did you find a reference to CPU 1.4 for the PRO 96? So far as I am aware, 1.3 is the most current version.

Nope, 1.4 is the latest version, at least that's what mine says. But like others have said, there is no functional difference in versions 1.3 and 1.4, only a change in hardware manufacturers IIRC.

scanjunkie

Tom-H said:
Nope, 1.4 is the latest version, at least that's what mine says. But like others have said, there is no functional difference in versions 1.3 and 1.4, only a change in hardware manufacturers IIRC.
I think Rob meant that if you have 1.3 you have the most current version of the CPU...1.3 and 1.4 are functionally the same unit, just different manufacturers. So whether you have 1.3 or 1.4 you basically have the same unit.

capnking

if you have a 1.2 do you have to upgrade to 1.3? What is the best way to do this?

rdale

Premium Subscriber
If it works for you now - no. Otherwise take it to RS, tell them you want the v1.3 upgrade, pay them, and you'll give them the radio for at least a few weeks.

InlandAZ

Tom-H said:
I could have sworn that was oin a 2096 - but, I'm probably wrong.

Tom-H

InlandAZ said:
I could have sworn that was oin a 2096 - but, I'm probably wrong.

IIRC, the 2096 is currently up to V1.2, which is the same thing as the V1.3 and V1.4 in the 96.

InlandAZ

Tom-H said:
IIRC, the 2096 is currently up to V1.2, which is the same thing as the V1.3 and V1.4 in the 96.
You're probably right - I don't recall where I saw the thread, but it basically stated that the CPU's were for all intents and purposes the same... and one way or another an association to the PRO 2096 stuck with me.

MacombMonitor

NINN27 said:
if i have to send my pro96 back to FW for an upgrade, they can kiss my ass... i didnt have my radio for a month while they did what should have been a "1 week" thing

If your radio was less than a month old, and you really wanted to, you could return it for a full refund, or an exchange for a new one. At least they are offering upgrades!

NINN27

MacombMonitor said:
If your radio was less than a month old, and you really wanted to, you could return it for a full refund, or an exchange for a new one. At least they are offering upgrades!

bought brand new when they first came out... so i got a few years on it (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.