RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 3:48 PM

Default PRO 164 "all channels locked out"

On banks 5 thru 8 on my pro 164 It says "all channels locked out". I have read the instructions and, for the life of me, cannot figure out how to unlock the channels in the bank or the bank itself. The instructions are not very clear (to me) on how to do this. Doe's anyone know how to unlock all the channels, in a bank, or the bank itself? Any help most appreciated. Thank You.
Sponsored links
Old 11-10-2012, 4:36 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I looked over the manual. On page 31, are the instructions for unlocking channels. Looks like you have to unlock each channel individually (not a whole bank at a time).

Did you program the scanner with programming software or manually? If you used software, it may be easier to unlock the channels there then upload back to the scanner. You may have to read the scanner, make changes, then upload back to the scanner.

I hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Smile PRO-164/etc

That is a catch all message when the scanner does not have anything to scan. It can happen when, for any reason, the scanner is no longer programmed. It can happen when you've uploaded a new file, but do not have anything turned on.

Other than the scanner being totally unprogrammed, the most common scenario is having no banks selected. To toggle a bank on & off, simply press its number (0 to 9).

However, even if you have a bank on, all of the programmed frequencies in that bank may be locked out (or the bank does not have any programmed frequencies).

What I'd do is press MAN, then press 0 0 0 MAN. Is there something programmed there? If so, is that channel locked out? Press UP to go to the next channel. Verify you have something programmed and not locked out. If you do, then press SCAN. If you see the locked out message, press 0. What happens?
Old 11-12-2012, 7:43 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pngoat View Post
On banks 5 thru 8 on my pro 164 It says "all channels locked out". I have read the instructions and, for the life of me, cannot figure out how to unlock the channels in the bank or the bank itself. The instructions are not very clear (to me) on how to do this. Doe's anyone know how to unlock all the channels, in a bank, or the bank itself? Any help most appreciated. Thank You.
banks 5 through 8 have no frequencies in them.
+ HF, VHF & UHF Xceivers from Alinco Icom Kenwood Yaesu Vertex Maxon Mot & RS
Old 11-12-2012, 9:39 PM

I managed to get banks 5 thru 8 unlocked. I manually advanced the channels in bank 4 until I got to bank 5. I entered a channel on bank 5. I did the same for banks 6 thru 8. I no longer get the "all channels locked out" message when I turn on banks 5,6,7&8. I don't know if this is the proper way to do it, but, it worked. Thanks to all for the advice.
Sponsored links

Old 11-13-2012, 12:17 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There is no requirement that there has to be a frequency programed in every bank. Just leave the banks that do not have any channels programed in them turned off.
+ HF, VHF & UHF Xceivers from Alinco Icom Kenwood Yaesu Vertex Maxon Mot & RS