RadioShack CS broke my scanner, please read. (And help if you can)

Status
Not open for further replies.

whooey

On 10/15/2012 I took my PRO-2096 to my local radioshack in Gainesville, FL. The squelch/vol knob needed to be replaced.

SO I put down $20, they sent it to Fort Worth, TX. They call me with estimate, I said go ahead and fix it. About 4 days later RS calls and says the radio is ready. So I go pay the remaining $54 and take the box out to my car. I cut the box open and pull the scanner out. The BNC connector is demolished. I mean bent and smashed in like it suffered a 4 foot fall onto concrete. The box was undamaged, it didnt happen during shipping.

I take the radio back into the store and show the manager. He boxes it back up and sends it to Fort Worth.

The manager of my local RS calls me, said Fort Worth sent it back and said its unrepairable, they dont make the part anymore. He said I would need to go through them for a replacement or settlement.

So I call Fort Worth last weds, they tell me its RS' responibility, and RS risk management will be in touch by Fri (LAST FRI). I still havent heard from ANYONE, I have to make calls.

I have called the manager at RS almost everyday for updates, bc I want to talk to his manager. He keeps putting me off. Yesterday he said his supervisor authorized him to refund my money for the repair, but the dist manager said nothing about replacing the radio.

I called Ft Worth today, and I spoke with a nice lady, who said RS risk managment said since there was no claim filed, they are not responsible!!! I cant believe this is happening.

I told the manager he can keep the $74, because I had to pay to get the scanner fixed. I just want a replacement that is at least equal to what I had.

I'm kind of at a dead end, does anyone have any connections @RS?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks.

wingmaker

Man that is F@#$ING crazy how the heck can people do that instead of the person a Fort Worth saying I messed it up because he was afraid now you seeming to get screwed that is the most horrible thing ive heard in a long time! Im not sure what you could do. I just HOPE and PRAY it works out. LOVE AND BLESSINGS

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
Same thing happened to me. I don't know what the hell these people are doing. When I went back in my PRO96 back cover was smashed, literally, like it had been stomped on. The screws were hanging out the back too. They acted like it was no big deal. I contacted a district manager and he promptly gave me a brand new one in the box. It was totally bizarre. It was as if they got pissed and just smashed it for apparently reason.

STATE ATTY GENERAL,,BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU,,LOCAL NEWS
Call LOCAL PD File a report,for damage to your property..(shh,,your creating a paper trail
to help your action)
STAND OUTSIDE -(On PUBLIC PROPERTY)- and PICKETT On BLACK FRIDAY..

STICK TO THE FACTS--
RS BREAKS YOUR ELECTRONICS-THEN REFUSES TO MAKE IT RIGHT--
THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR WORK or WORD.

Do Not Defame,slander!!!!

Work EVERY angle you can LEGALLY... picketing a business on a Public Sidewalk is LEGAL
security and LEOs will nudge you otherwise..even threaten with arrest...on PUBLIC property
you are CLEAN..stay Out of the roadway...if they push to arrest,tell them you will sue..Try to
position yourself in view of a security cam,Not the RS cam,,one you can get a tape from,,Or
have a shadow car film from afar.
Call all the media,,maybe a reporter will show up to cover you...they wont know if you dont call!

you can crush em man,just put your feet on the concrete and stand tall..the mgr will fold!..

Last edited:

cdknapp

Premium Subscriber
I have seen a lot of people on RR complain about RS in general. They sure are NOT the company they used to be. I agree; if they refuse to make it right, contact you state's attorney general's office and file a complaint. And after you do, let everyone here know you did, so they can follow suit. Who know, enough people in any given state complain, RS could face a class action suit. Now that would get their attention at corporate!
PS: If the just keep running you around, fail to respond, etc., that is a refusal to assist you. Unfortunately, way too many companies figure if they do this, it will become a PITA to you, and you'll just go away. RS certainly doesn't have a monopoly of this style of dealing with it's customers!

Last edited:

whooey

I have been holding off posting this thread until I thought I was screwed. LOL

Finally got the number of the district manager.

I just left RS with a BNIB PRO-197.

This has been resolved.

Cdknapp you are correct. I was having that feeling they would hope I would go away. I was persistent and stayed all over them.

I feel better now this month long case is now closer.

Last edited:

Tweekerbob

Having had pleasant and favorable dealings with the Texas Attorney General's Office in the past, I would suggest you file a complaint with them. I believe you can do this online. They will be in contact with RS corporate HQ. I have found that companies react very quickly and favorably once the AG is involved.

Concurrently, I would try to escalate the matter by trying to find any phone number in the RS corporate HQ and try to work your way up. Keeping an open mind and a cool head will pay off dividends. Kindly explain the situation as often as possible and politely request to be placed in touch with someone who is capable of filing a claim with Risk Management on your behalf.

Attacking this from both angles will probably be your best bet. I wouldn't offer up the fact that you have filed a claim with the AG unless asked directly.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

EDIT: Just saw your post. Congratulations! Glad it worked out for you.

wingmaker

Man whooey that is awesome im glad it worked out for you. Hopefully you were not to fond of your 2096 if you are your still a bit sad but that is one hell of a deal in my opinion my friend has one there a very good scanner. LOVE AND BLESSING best of luck programming it unless you have one already it took us a minute to figure out how to program in systems and update the CPU and DSP.

Last edited:

cdknapp

Premium Subscriber
Good for you!! Glad you got it resolved. It's just isn't right when you buy something (anything for that matter) and you have to go to these lengths to get this made right. At least you were able to resolve it rather quickly. What peeves me off is when you have to invest how much time in these process, which should be pretty simple to fix. I ask myself many times 'what's my time worth'? At least you were able to deal with someone right here in the good old USA; someone you could actually understand.... those India call centers are another subject all their own. I've been dealing with Dell over one of their computers that isn't a year old yet. Another once good US company that now answers their phones in India or where ever. At least if they understood the English I'd like to use to get my point across after 2 hours on the phone I'd feel a little bit better! Good luck with your new scanner- enjoy!

jackj

I have been holding off posting this thread until I thought I was screwed. LOL

Finally got the number of the district manager.

This has been resolved.

Cdknapp you are correct. I was having that feeling they would hope I would go away. I was persistent and stayed all over them.

I feel better now this month long case is now closer.

Let this be a lesson, NEVER BUY ANYTHING ELSE FROM RADIO SHACK! If they will do it once, they will do it again so follow Jack's Golden Rule. "Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me"

Jack

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Good for you, whooey! Not giving up and staying on RS until the matter was resolved was the way to do it.

Don't you just hate it when the retailer or it's representative takes you over the hurdles for something that was totally their fault and refuses to acknowledge that fact? They just figure you'll eventually get tired of all the hassle and just go away.

Again...good for you and enjoy your new scanner.

Russell

n5ims

Glad this was resolved in your favor with an upgraded scanner from what you used to have. Good thing you didn't follow much of the advice you were given on this thread, basically giving up on them and going out for revenge and instead took the time to work with them on a satisfactory resolution. I suspect that had you protested or tried legal action you probably would've ended up with just a refund of what you paid (the minimum they could get by with doing legally) instead of a new current model scanner (something that says we were wrong and we're sorry for your trouble).

Perhaps this can be a lesson to others, be nice and give others some time to return the niceness and you may be rewarded (you can always get mean later if you have to).

Intellifax

I had to file a complaint against Radio Shack with the Ohio Attorney Generals office a few years ago after they treated me very unfairly and illegally. Took one letter from the AG, and Radio Shack decided to do the right thing. Its really is a shame that company has taken such a downward turn in the past 10 years.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator

This has been resolved.

Enjoy the new radio! Bummer it took so long for it to get resolved, but good things come to those who wait. Thanks for your original message asking for help and not just bashing everyone involved. The details you posted helped paint the picture of what was going on, and who dropped the ball.

You followed the right steps by contacting the DM because the stores do not have any managerial authority. Seems that once you contacted the right person, your issue was resolved quickly.

whooey

Seems that once you contacted the right person, your issue was resolved quickly.

Yes, very quickly, about 15 minutes to be exact. I asked for the district managers number after the scanner came back as unrepairable. RS manager said the way it works is he emails him, then the district manager gets back to him when he can. "He's very busy, he runs 20 stores." :roll:

I'm glad he finally gave the number to me.

Heres the original damage:

EA634568-CC68-42AD-B5B0-434A5C566316-12377-00000C0419E9C76F.jpg

And the new scanner.

4829D5B1-FB8B-4817-991C-82F331FFF437-12377-00000C03D2FB6071.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.