RS Pro106&Pro197 not working properly after reprogramming after rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhiatt1

I own RS Pro106 & 197 . My area ,( Marion IN./Grant County ) recently rebanded and i reprogrammed my scanners by hand. I entered the 2 new control channels set the first 2 Tables to custom and entered the values below ,but my radios are not working as good as i think they should . I'm hearing all dispatch radio traffic just fine but about 15% of the time officers car radio traffic is either broken (digital sounding) or there is no sound when it's stopped on that channel. This happens on both radios simultaniously when running side by side. Do i need to do more prgramming or what?
CONTROL FREQ. 852.38750 & 852.86250
TABLE 1: LO CH 0 , HI CH 439 (also tried 719) , OFFSET 0 , BASE 851.0125 , STEP 25
2 LO CH 440 , HI CH 559 , OFFSET 440 , BASE 851.0250 , STEP 25
Neither radio has ever had any firmware updates applied (no CPU cable).
Any help or suggestions would GREATLY BE APPRECIATED !!!

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I own RS Pro106 & 197 . My area ,( Marion IN./Grant County ) recently rebanded and i reprogrammed my scanners by hand. I entered the 2 new control channels set the first 2 Tables to custom and entered the values below ,but my radios are not working as good as i think they should . I'm hearing all dispatch radio traffic just fine but about 15% of the time officers car radio traffic is either broken (digital sounding) or there is no sound when it's stopped on that channel. This happens on both radios simultaniously when running side by side. Do i need to do more prgramming or what?
CONTROL FREQ. 852.38750 & 852.86250
TABLE 1: LO CH 0 , HI CH 439 (also tried 719) , OFFSET 0 , BASE 851.0125 , STEP 25
2 LO CH 440 , HI CH 559 , OFFSET 440 , BASE 851.0250 , STEP 25
Neither radio has ever had any firmware updates applied (no CPU cable).
Any help or suggestions would GREATLY BE APPRECIATED !!!

You need to set the tables exactly as below...

Table 01
Lo 440
Hi 559
Offset 440
Base 851.025
Step 25

Table 02
Lo 0
Hi 719
Offset 0
Base 851.0125
Step 25

Chances are you might need to break down and do a firmaware update on your scanners. I had to do that to both of mine to make them pick up the rebanding. The systems i listen too are P25 digital 800. The other issue is with the switch to digital, the effective range of a radio signal is cut in half, so unless you are fairly close to a tower you may not hear all of the traffic you want, and if the system is a Motorola 800 they have XDMA prgramming on it, in whiich some frequencies still come across as distorted, or unmodulated.

dhiatt1

Can the Table1 numbers be put into Table 2 and vice versa or does it make any difference?
We are on the Motorola system too so that may be some of the problem , i also live on the oppisite side of town from the towers, would a 800mhz antenna be of any benefit to me?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
They have to be exactly as listed. I would fix this issue first before looking for other problems.

DickH

Can the Table1 numbers be put into Table 2 and vice versa or does it make any difference?
We are on the Motorola system too so that may be some of the problem , i also live on the oppisite side of town from the towers, would a 800mhz antenna be of any benefit to me?

If you hear one talk group (dispatch) you should hear everything. Another antenna won't help.
I don't understand your comment about Motorola. Except for cost, it's pretty hard to beat Motorola.
Reversing the tables might do it. Can't hurt to try.
Looking at the freqs., there is only 1 out of the 7 on the Marion site that is affected by rebanding, so even if your scanner is not rebanded correctly you should still hear about 85% of the traffic, theoretically.

n5ims

The table order is quite important. It reads down the tables until it's able to translate the channel into a frequency. The tables are coded with the exceptions first and the general rule last. If you have the order swapped, it will never use the exceptions table since it will always find a match in the general rule table. With the tables in the correct order it will find a match for the exceptions if necessary and use the general rule if the frequency isn't in the exception range.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hmmm...I've always seen the rebanding custom values entered in lines 00 and 01, not 01 and 02.

Just a thought....Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
See this shot from our wiki...

File:pSR rebanding.JPG - The RadioReference Wiki

Just to be contrary, ARC500's rebanding is done in what it calls 'index' 01 and 02

As I understand it - I'm not a RS guy - you can't access line 00 manually. You have to use one of the big 3 to do it. Fortunately enough, all 3 have 30 day free trials

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
See section 2.6 of...

ARC500 User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

to see how ARC500 does it. Even though it calls the lines 'indexes', if you compare the 2 pics (ARC500 and PSREdit500), they're functionally the same.

Unfortunately I think the Win500 user guide shows the wrong values in the wrong positions - not surprising, as most of that was written before rebanding was such a big deal. It should be corrected by someone...

Mike

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Looking at the freqs., there is only 1 out of the 7 on the Marion site that is affected by rebanding, so even if your scanner is not rebanded correctly you should still hear about 85% of the traffic, theoretically.

Sort of , since one channel is the CC, you now have 6 voice channels (1 out of 6). if the site isn't busy the alternate CC and BSI channels aren't used in the normal channel rotation, so now it's 1 out of 4.

And yes I know you said theoretically, the above is more like the real world.

wingmaker

You need to set the tables exactly as below...

Table 01
Lo 440
Hi 559
Offset 440
Base 851.025
Step 25

Table 02
Lo 0
Hi 719
Offset 0
Base 851.0125
Step 25

They have to be exactly as listed. I would fix this issue first before looking for other problems.

The way you had them is good, that is how my psr 410 is setup even though I only pick up analog on it, but my buddies pro-197 is programmed the same, we programmed it together, and his works fine and so does mine. I see that you said that you tried the 719 so I dont see there being a difference:) LOVE AND BLESSINGS

Last edited:

dhiatt1

The comment about Motorola meant that the talk group i listen to is a Motorola system and i was told it is know for it's distortion and unmodulation.
I tried reversing the Tables in the Pro106 as suggested and left the Pro 197 Tables as i had them (reversed) . Ran my 2 scanners and the RR live feed side by side and i was still not getting all the traffic (mostly car traffic ) on my either of my scanners ,basicaly the same result.
Not sure about the comment that only 1 of 7 freq. in Marion changed after rebanding. I was only getting analog trafic after rebanding. Then i only changed the 2 control channels (i didn't know i had to change Tables) and was then getting about 80-85% of digital TLG traffic . After customizing the Tables it's better but not as good as it was before rebanding.
So do i need to get the values into Tables 00 & 01 instead of 01 & 02 ?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
The comment about Motorola meant that the talk group i listen to is a Motorola system and i was told it is know for it's distortion and unmodulation.
I tried reversing the Tables in the Pro106 as suggested and left the Pro 197 Tables as i had them (reversed) . Ran my 2 scanners and the RR live feed side by side and i was still not getting all the traffic (mostly car traffic ) on my either of my scanners ,basicaly the same result.
Not sure about the comment that only 1 of 7 freq. in Marion changed after rebanding. I was only getting analog trafic after rebanding. Then i only changed the 2 control channels (i didn't know i had to change Tables) and was then getting about 80-85% of digital TLG traffic . After customizing the Tables it's better but not as good as it was before rebanding.

The radios themselves call the tables 1 and 2, some software packages call them 0 and 1, but they are the same thing.

Assuming all your system did was just reband all you needed to do was reprogram the control channel frequencies and populate the custom tables exactly as I described. If you are still having issues after doing that then something else must have changed somewhere also.

wingmaker

Ran my 2 scanners and the RR live feed side by side and i was still not getting all the traffic (mostly car traffic ) on my either of my scanners ,basicaly the same result.

Is the RR live feed the same tower you are picking up on your scanner? The person was talking about how all the freqs on that system changed after rebanding, besides 859.7375 that one didnt need to change. Its kinda like the Monon site it had to only change the control chs, all the rest remained as they were.

All I will say is the table you had in the first place, is what I have in my psr 410, and my buddies 197 and we used exactly what you have, and his and mine are perfect.
LOVE AND BLESSINGS

dhiatt1

So to confirm :after rebanding i needed to only input control channels #1 852.86250 #2. 852.38750 and leave all the other freq. slots ( #3- 32 ) blank (zero). And input the previously disscussed values into Tables 1&2. to complete my rebanded programming.
I'm not sure where the RR feed i'm listening to is from.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
So to confirm :after rebanding i needed to only input control channels #1 852.86250 #2. 852.38750 and leave all the other freq. slots ( #3- 32 ) blank (zero). And input the previously disscussed values into Tables 1&2. to complete my rebanded programming.

You have chosen...wisely.

wingmaker

Yes, the reason I asked about the feed, if maybe the person with it could tell you what they use. Hopefully you get it working perfect.

LOVE AND BLESSINGS

Status
Not open for further replies.