question Please/ Double din install dashboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncoleman

I have a Pro 197 and want to put it in my dashboard with a Pioneer radio I bought the double din and now need to cut all the excess trim off the outside of the Radio Shack pro 197 to make it fit I am going to just cut the excess off the front of the scanner with my Dremel cutter . Has anyone done this ? I am going to take off the black cover and then cut the edge all the way around the outside front of the scanner and then sand it smooth , Install it and listen to the po po .If you have ever done this please post comments for me. I did this with a belt sander for my friends 2096 years ago and it worked

Thank You and happy scanning

r_eugene1

I have a Pro 197 and want to put it in my dashboard with a Pioneer radio I bought the double din and now need to cut all the excess trim off the outside of the Radio Shack pro 197 to make it fit I am going to just cut the excess off the front of the scanner with my Dremel cutter . Has anyone done this ? I am going to take off the black cover and then cut the edge all the way around the outside front of the scanner and then sand it smooth , Install it and listen to the po po .If you have ever done this please post comments for me. I did this with a belt sander for my friends 2096 years ago and it worked

Thank You and happy scanning
Why would you want to ruin (in my opinion) a good scanner? Can't you dermel out the opening? Just asking.

johncoleman

Hello,
If I dremel out the opening any more than the way it came with the truck it would be cutting into the dashboard itself and then the old original radio would not fit back in when I sold the truck. You can buy the replacement radio holder for the dash but they only come in the original size . I cut the radio trim near perfect and then sanded it to completion . It looks great and I am very happy . My old truck radio I sanded down to fit and it sold it on e bay in one day as someone wanted to do what I did with it

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
DSCN0071.jpg

I just let my 2096 stick out slightly in front of the radio, it blocks the faceplate from popping off easily but I'm not that worried about that.

johncoleman

Radio in Dash

Looks great. I also had the problem with the faceplate hitting until I cut the front of the radio . I will post a picture later this week . A friend is putting in a dash cam with his radio so he can give Video and the dispatchers voice to the local news for $$$$. He does this for fires/ auto accidents and so on

johncoleman

Double Din

Hi,
If you Are you asking why i did it the answer is the custom fit . I have sent radio shack and Gre a letter with pictures of the custom cutting on the front of the scanner and asked them to think about changing the size of the front of the scanners so people can put them into car dashboards without a problem . My friend has now built a box the size of the scanner with a metal rail in front for the Dremel blade to cut or trim the front of the scanner to fit into a double din. This box and rail guides the perfect cut for the double din

Status
Not open for further replies.