ARC500 FOR PRO 106??

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
Good morning all! Recently purchased a used Radio Shack Pro-106 which came with a Radio Shack programming cable, but no CD. It is programmed with frequencies of another county I do not need.

I have spent the past week physically writing down (on a spreadsheet) all the "objects" I would like programmed into the scanner, roughly 700 conventional objects. Left 300 channels for when I get around to understanding how to program/enter in talkgroups. I am under the impression the Pro 106 is only capable of 1000 scannable objects. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I have already manually programmed 30 conv. objects into the scanner.

Question #1...
I am a premium subscriber to RR...
I downloaded ARC500 software from butel website at no cost. I assume the CD is no longer needed and I have everything needed to start programming the scanner, correct?

Question #2...
Would I be better off to keep manually programming the objects or take the time to try and figure out ARC500 and how to import from RR? The 30 minutes I've already spent on ARC500 hasn't exactly given me much hope.

Question #3...
When I open up ARC500 software, I get a prompt stating "Time Restricted Demo Version." What exactly does this mean?

Last edited:

alwayslookin

All software comes with 30 day trial I have both Win 500 and Arc 500 I personally like Win 500 better and I prefer to enter all my info using Ain 500 and uploading it into the scanner. I would suggest taking the time the learn the software you won't be disappointed Just my 2 cents.

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
WIN500 seems like it will suit me better. Thanks for the info.
Before I start to program anything, is there a way to "swipe" the scanner clean, like reset, since I bought it used and would like to get rid of previous objects and start fresh?

TES

WIN500 seems like it will suit me better. Thanks for the info.
Before I start to program anything, is there a way to "swipe" the scanner clean, like reset, since I bought it used and would like to get rid of previous objects and start fresh?

Any upload will replace all objects in the scanners working memory—something to be aware of when you program your scanner.

N1BHH

You can have roughly 1800 objects. I've got several files that are in the 1700-1800 range, all full of frequencies and talk groups for my listening pleasure. The good thing about scan lists is that you can mix and match anything with everything.

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
OK, I was able to upload 10 objects successfully from WIN500.

After I have uploaded a certain number of objects, I need to start a "new template" for the next set of objects I want to upload, correct? Instead of adding objects to the existing list I just uploaded?

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
Put everything in all at once, once you have a file, load it all at once not piecemeal, it can't be done that way. Make one file.

#1) By file, do you mean template?

#2) I've already uploaded 10 objects. If I add 500 more objects to that same template and upload again, will it duplicate the first 10 objects I have already uploaded, or will it know not to upload those first 10 objects again?

RonnieUSA

#2) I've already uploaded 10 objects. If I add 500 more objects to that same template and upload again, will it duplicate the first 10 objects I have already uploaded, or will it know not to upload those first 10 objects again?

By file, do you mean template? = Yes

I've already uploaded 10 objects. If I add 500 more objects to that same template and upload again, will it duplicate the first 10 objects I have already uploaded, or will it know not to upload those first 10 objects again? = No

TES

Any upload will replace all objects in the scanners working memory—something to be aware of when you program your scanner.

It's that simple! Any objects that you see in the Win500 file will be the objects uploaded to the scanner. Anything in the scanner will be overwritten.

Last edited:

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
OK, thanks for the clarification. I have read through the WIN500 wiki article and still have 2 questions I could not find an answer to.

When entering P25 conventional objects into WIN500...

Question #1)
after I enter the frequency...
I have to enter "mode"...
for a P25 object, do I select the mode "FM" or "AUTO"?

Question #2)
Then under "SQUELCH MODE" for that P25 object...
do I enter "NAC" even though I may not have the NAC for that P25 object or under "SQUELCH MODE" just leave it as "SEARCH" if I do not know the NAC?

KC9UNK

Auto works good if you don't know exactly what it is and if you don't know what the NAC code is then yes set it to search cause it will automatically find it for you and then give you the option to save it for that channel with the soft keys (F3)

petey_racer

Premium Subscriber

What the others have said.

If you ADD the new objects the existing ten would still be in the file, right? So in all you'd then have 510 objects. Those would be on the scanner after upload.

One big piece of advice: SAVE YOUR DATA FILES. I'm not sure how WIN500 works, but always save your complete profile data file after each change. This way you can always return your scanner back to the last good configuration if something goes wrong with an upload or your scanner is wiped for any reason..

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
Auto works good if you don't know exactly what it is and if you don't know what the NAC code is then yes set it to search cause it will automatically find it for you and then give you the option to save it for that channel with the soft keys (F3)

OK, thanks. It may take me awhile to get my head around WIN500, but I'm determined to get it.

QDP2012

Changing software after programming radio

As others have mentioned in other parts of the Forums, all of the competing software packages (Win..., Arc..., Free...) must be able to program the same radio. This means that you can try "Software A", and use it to upload your settings into the radio, and then later, if you choose to try "Software B" for comparison, you can simply download the radio's current information into "Software B", and save a file in "Software B's" file-type. This saves work, but also makes it easier to make fair comparisons of the software.

Hope this helps,

Status
Not open for further replies.