Pro 106

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB0VWG

I just got back from the Belton hamfest and i picked up a like brand new pro 106 with the nylon case and pc cable, manual, and box for $75.00. The problem that I am having is that it did not come with the yellow charging holder just the black one only

Does anyone know where I can find one? So far Gre is out of stock and haven't been able to find one on the Rad shack website
Thanks
kb0vwg
wqoi992

gtaman

I just got back from the Belton hamfest and i picked up a like brand new pro 106 with the nylon case and pc cable, manual, and box for $75.00. The problem that I am having is that it did not come with the yellow charging holder just the black one only

Does anyone know where I can find one? So far Gre is out of stock and haven't been able to find one on the Rad shack website
Thanks
kb0vwg
wqoi992

Wow! Very nice find. The holders can be found on eBay or someone who has some on this site would chime in. I would of been gladly to send you one of my extras but sadly I just gave my last one to a friend. Someone on here I know has some I'm sure they will help you. And congrats on that find again.

KB0VWG

I could not believe what I got it for either so I was in shock and walked a way quickly before he changed his mind.

Michael-SATX

Wow KB, you got a GREat deal is the good news :)
The bad news is those yellow battery holders are no longer made :(
I noticed months ago that Radio Shack RSU part # no longer exits
in the system to even order it period. So I think you should maybe
think about either charging your batteries outside your Pro-106
or modifying your black battery holder to bridge to 2nd & 3rd
battery contacts together so that you could charge batteries
in your scanner like most of us lazy folks do without problems !

On a side note: I see a future in some very enterprising person
reproducing these yellow battery trays as they must fit over
a dozen GRE / RS scanner models. Forget $5.99 as last offered
I think these could bring far more. Hey auto parts do this all the time !

KB0VWG

I see some other scanners that have the same type of yellow holder that I might be able to find.
What is the mod for the black battery holder? I will dig around for the mod tonight or could be on youtube.
Thanks
Michael

gtaman

I could not believe what I got it for either so I was in shock and walked a way quickly before he changed his mind.

That's what I would of done. Me: how much? Seller: 75 dollars. Me: here's 80 keep the change. Seller: thanks! Me: running as fast as I can to the car then returning to other venders for better deals.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The inboard connection has another connection, that it is tied to.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366599058672.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366599058672.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 806

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Pro 106 charging battery case

You might want to resist using internal charging. If you do a search, you will find some of us who have had bad experiences. I had the back of a Pro 96 melt when one of the cells shorted while charging. Get a good external charger, a couple of sets of batteries and protect your radio.

eyes00only

I have a yellow one that I would give to you. I don't think I can PM a member anymore. I just couldn't afford to renew my membership last time. I do agree that it's better to charge batteries out of the radio.

JK

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I always frown on these not charge in radio ideas, been doing for so many years in RS /unidens. Just go in and change the default charging time to 1 or 2 hours in the radio... you'll be fine.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
How do you charge a set of 2200 mah batteries in an hour or two with the wall wart? My problem happened within a half hour from the start of the charge cycle, so even a short charge time is no guarantee unless you are there to monitor it.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber

Thanks
kb0vwg
wqoi992

Why bother? I have a GRE PSR500 which is, esentially, the GRE "birth mother" of your 106.

I have the yellow cradle, never use it. Purchase a couple of sets of Powerex NiMH AAs, or Sanyo Eneloops, and a good charger (i recommend this one).

In the long run, you'll save loads of money over conventional AAs. In additon, some have reported issues charging cells inside the unit with the yellow cradle.

Secondly, you'll probably run the NiMH cells into the ground in no time charging in the scanner.

I have the charger linked above. It allows for everything from conventional charging to refresh/reclamation cycles and the like. Easy to use, but not as easy than a charge and forget charger. But it is easy to use once you get the jist of it. I like this charger because it gives you DATA, and you can see what's going on with the batteries, rather than a "dumb" LED that goes on, or off, when the cells are "charged".

As an example, I had 4 NiMH (Enercell---Radio Shack---not the BEST, but not BAD either) cells that I, DID, indeed charge inside the scanner for a brief time. I didn't have any issues, but after reading about some HAVING issues, I abandonded that idea. Those cells, after 4 months, would only charge to about 1350mAH. I ran the refresh cycle on them with that charger, and they, now, 5 months LATER, routinely show a capacity of about 2400mAH (they are rated at 2500).

I say, enjoy your awesome find, don't break your head finding a yellow battery holder, buy some good rechargables, a good charger, and ENJOY.

COngrats, BTW.

Just my $0.05 of free advice......:lol:

Last edited:

N1BHH

Charging batteries while the radio is operating will lower the run time available from the batteries when you are disconnected. I always charge my batteries out of the scanner, and out of all my radios. I have 6 sets of batteries, one in the scanner and 5 ready to go following proper charging.

I use the Maha MH-C801D. It will fast charge batteries in a hour or so. I use the slow charge mostly, takes a couple hours, because I don't need the batteries quickly, because of the number of sets I have. It also has a conditioning cycle which I used on an old set of batteries that I had in another scanner that I hadn't used in a few months, they are now in the rotation.

KB0VWG

Does anyone know what other scanners have the same yellow charging holder besides the Gre500. Looking online maybe i can purchase a broken scanner that might have the correct charging holder.
Thanks
kb0vwg
wqoi992

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I just bought four scanners off craigslist and one of them is a PRO-95. It has the same black battery holder as my PSR-500. It sure looks like the contacts are the same for the yellow holder. Unfortunately I did not score the yellow holder on the buy. :(

KB0VWG

Thanks

I just bought four scanners off craigslist and one of them is a PRO-95. It has the same black battery holder as my PSR-500. It sure looks like the contacts are the same for the yellow holder. Unfortunately I did not score the yellow holder on the buy. :(

Dang lol
kb0vwg
wqoi992

nanZor

Does anyone know what other scanners have the same yellow charging holder besides the Gre500.

Also look for Pro-404's. You'll be able to use the battery holders, battery cover, belt-clip (laugh), and even case back. The GRE PSR 100 might also be suitable. I guess you could even part out the speaker, bnc connector etc if you wanted to rip one apart for spares for the 106...

Status
Not open for further replies.