RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 7:22 AM

Default What to do about distorted channels?

I'm trying to monitor one of the local fire dept frequencies, 159.045. I'm hearing voices but they are distorted. I assume this means they are a different bandwidth? Maybe Narrow FM? Is there any way to tune those in on the 164, or am I out of luck?

Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 09-06-2013, 12:01 PM

Since 159.045 is fireground, from handheld or mobile radios, I'm guessing you're just too far away to get a good signal. Since there's no base repeater, you have to be fairly close to the incident to hear fireground. Whether it's NFM or WFM won't make much difference. The 164 should receive either one.
Old 09-06-2013, 1:09 PM

Good to know it will receive both- I couldn't tell from the display if it ever changed to NFM. Maybe I just haven't monitored a NFM band yet.

Thanks for your insight- it definitely helps.
Old 09-06-2013, 7:59 PM

Sounds like what your hearing is a close frequency bleeding over on 159.0450. If they are almost out of range there will be alot of static instead of distortion. Next time you hear someone on that frequency quickly tune to 159.0450 then go up and down a step or two and see which one is clearer.

I have a neighboring counties repeater that is close to my counties fire dispatch. If I dont have the PL code programmed in, it will bleed over and I can still understand them but its a little distorted.
Old 09-06-2013, 8:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrachlan View Post
I'm trying to monitor one of the local fire dept frequencies, 159.045. I'm hearing voices but they are distorted. I assume this means they are a different bandwidth? Maybe Narrow FM? Is there any way to tune those in on the 164, or am I out of luck?

Thanks.
When I checked the database, it shows a frequency of 159.05, no .045 for your area. Maybe this is the problem, just a bit off frequency.
Larry