Radio Shack Pro 136 Squelch problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sffire

Premium Subscriber
I have this pro-136 that has a open squelch. I tried to adjust the squelch to Max. and it does not seem to do anything. Looking for suggestions on how I can fix or reset this thing?

Thanks

Ripcord35

I have this pro-136 that has a open squelch. I tried to adjust the squelch to Max. and it does not seem to do anything. Looking for suggestions on how I can fix or reset this thing?

Thanks

I'm having this exact Same problem. Has anyone else and if so were you able to fix it ???

tonyclark

Premium Subscriber
Resetting your Scanner
If the scanner’s display locks up or stops operating properly, you might need
to reset the scanner. Caution: This procedure clears all the information you
have stored in the scanner. Before you reset the scanner, try turning it off and
on again to see if it begins working properly. Reset the scanner only when
you are sure it is not working properly.
1. Unplug the AC adapter and remove the batteries from the scanner.
2. While holding down 2, 9 and PSE, plug the AC adapter back into the
scanner. CLEAr appears for about 2 seconds as the scanner clears its
memory.

Ripcord35

Resetting your Scanner
If the scanner’s display locks up or stops operating properly, you might need
to reset the scanner. Caution: This procedure clears all the information you
have stored in the scanner. Before you reset the scanner, try turning it off and
on again to see if it begins working properly. Reset the scanner only when
you are sure it is not working properly.
1. Unplug the AC adapter and remove the batteries from the scanner.
2. While holding down 2, 9 and PSE, plug the AC adapter back into the
scanner. CLEAr appears for about 2 seconds as the scanner clears its
memory.

Tried that, it doesn't fix the problem. The squelch is stuck on or something, all I get it static white noise and it will not scan the channels.

Ripcord35

Have you tried turning the squelch the other way ?

That a serious question? lol

I have tried everything, im wondering if there is an internal dial for factory fine tuning or something that i can open the unit and fine tune myself.

Can the squelch go bad on units ?

N8IAA

Send it to Uniden, it will only cost $80 plus shipping for them to look at it. It was made by Uniden Japan for the Shack.
Larry

Ripcord35

only 80$ lol you can buy a brand new one for less. I dont have the money to shell out for a new one or to send it to be fixed.. The whole reason to post on here is to find out if anyone else has had this problem and if they fixed it.. Thanks for the suggestion but cant do it ..

wsmithjr

Premium Subscriber
I have the same issue... I see a few posts about it out there, but no fixes that work for me. I'm thinking this is an issue with this model.

AB4YP

I bought Pro 136 scanner at a second hand store and it did not have the three 1.5 volt back up batteries installed. Took it home, installed batteries plugged in the adapter, hooked up and antenna, and it worked.

For a week.

Turned it on one day to listen to marine band coms and it was bricked.

So I turned it off, pulled out the plug, and took out the batteries. Could not reset it.

Finally I unplugged it again, took out the batteries and figuring the radio was bricked from some electrostatic problem caused by the batteries, I bridged between the negative spring and the positive button in the battery compartment and let the radio sit overnight.

Next day I replaced the batteries, connected the power cord and re-connected the antenna and the radio worked normally.

If I don't plan on using this radio for awhile I disconnect everything and remove the batteries.

sffire

Premium Subscriber
I let the radio sit for three years. No power, no batteries. After reading the thread, I decided to try it again. The scanner now works. No uncontrollable squelch. It works normal. I am not going to put batteries in the scanner just in case the batteries are causing the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.