RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lake Co. Ohio
Posts: 289
Default Pro-18 software problem

I just picked up a clearance Pro-18 for $199 @ the local RS and the software won't load. I get an error 740 message. Is there a way around it to get the software loaded?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
        
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-08-2013, 11:47 AM
N8DRC's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jackson County,MI.
Posts: 980
Default

What operating system are you using on your PC? Have you tried installing it in admin mode?
__________________
73
Dan
N8DRC QRZ Page
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lake Co. Ohio
Posts: 289
Default

I tried it on both my Vista laptop and Win7 desktop. The desktop gave me a message that it set some compatability settings and to re-try but I still got the same error.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lake Co. Ohio
Posts: 289
Default

Ok I got it installed on the desktop by manually going to the install file instead of using the application file.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-08-2013, 2:35 PM
KF5YBZ's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: 76028
Posts: 76
Default

I got one of those deals from RS and installed on Windows 8 yesterday. Everything works and updates fine except the fimware update. Did the routine several times but no luck. Keep us posted if you have any more problems (or success).
__________________
www.EyeOnBlue.com
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-08-2013, 8:55 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lake Co. Ohio
Posts: 289
Default

I just wish I could copy and paste my PSR800 configuration into the PRO18. Save me a lot of work.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-08-2013, 9:08 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 510
Default

When installing programs in newer versions of Windows (7 & 8), right click on the installer file and select "Install as administrator". This eliminates many problems, especially on backwards compatible software.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2013, 8:39 AM
DJ11DLN's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mudhole, IN
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5YBZ View Post
I got one of those deals from RS and installed on Windows 8 yesterday. Everything works and updates fine except the fimware update. Did the routine several times but no luck. Keep us posted if you have any more problems (or success).
I had the same issue, but the unit seems to work fine without updated firmware, at least on Project Hoosier Safe-T. I am viewing it as an it-ain't-broke-so-don't-try-to-fix-it situation.;-)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2013, 9:34 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Geauga County, Ohio
Posts: 602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportster77 View Post
I just wish I could copy and paste my PSR800 configuration into the PRO18. Save me a lot of work.
Does the Pro-18 use EZScan as does the PSR800? If so, can you not just save your 800 profile to Archive and then restore the Archive to your 18?

John
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2013, 12:34 PM
DJ11DLN's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mudhole, IN
Posts: 108
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipesy View Post
Does the Pro-18 use EZScan as does the PSR800? If so, can you not just save your 800 profile to Archive and then restore the Archive to your 18?

John
Using EZScan with the RS Pro-18

Seems as if somebody managed to get it to work!
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2013, 6:52 PM
N8DRC's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jackson County,MI.
Posts: 980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportster77 View Post
I just wish I could copy and paste my PSR800 configuration into the PRO18. Save me a lot of work.
Yes I couldn't agree more!!
__________________
73
Dan
N8DRC QRZ Page
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2013, 7:18 PM
N8DRC's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jackson County,MI.
Posts: 980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ11DLN View Post
Using EZScan with the RS Pro-18

Seems as if somebody managed to get it to work!
I am giving this a try now...
__________________
73
Dan
N8DRC QRZ Page
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2013, 6:49 PM
The_dog's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 138
Thumbs down

Did he ever get the program to work

I had the same problem with windows 7

I explored the disk and copy the files to a desktop
Folder you can make the folder any name
Inside the software folder there exe or msi file
I right clicked the munu poped up
And i hit install and then it worked
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2013, 8:38 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lake Co. Ohio
Posts: 289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_dog View Post
Did he ever get the program to work
Yes I got it working on both computers, now I am slowly deciding what I want to put on the 18 compared to the 800.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 09-20-2013, 6:27 AM
DJ11DLN's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mudhole, IN
Posts: 108
Default Freeze-ups...

Sorry if this is going a bit off-topic, but my PRO-18 occasionally will lock up during power-on. It gets about half the splash screen (shows Radio Shack and nothing else) and there it stops. Only way to get out of it is to disconnect power (if connected -- it does it both on batteries and plugged into the wall wart or cigarette lighter adapter) then remove a battery and wait about 30 seconds. Then it will come on and work fine. It isn't anything earthshaking, just wondering if anybody else's does this.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 09-20-2013, 6:47 AM
detroit780's Avatar
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 736
Default Pro-18

The PSR-800 and Pro-18 are file compatible. I copied my 800 file to the 18 software for a friend of mine and he wrote it to his 18 just fine. The 18 doesn't support V folders so you will only get what is in your current folder and it doesn't support 200 scan lists but as long as you are under 100 it should be fine





Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DRC View Post
I am giving this a try now...
__________________
Les
W8MSP Amateur Radio
WQNJ567 GMRS
http://W8MSP.com
E-Mail W8MSP@W8MSP.com
E-Mail detroit780@radioreference.com
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 09-20-2013, 3:39 PM
JustLou's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY/NJ
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ11DLN View Post
Sorry if this is going a bit off-topic, but my PRO-18 occasionally will lock up during power-on. It gets about half the splash screen (shows Radio Shack and nothing else) and there it stops. Only way to get out of it is to disconnect power (if connected -- it does it both on batteries and plugged into the wall wart or cigarette lighter adapter) then remove a battery and wait about 30 seconds. Then it will come on and work fine. It isn't anything earthshaking, just wondering if anybody else's does this.

It sounds like your SD Card data could be corrupted. I'd format it, and reload the database from scratch.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2014, 6:53 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit780 View Post
The PSR-800 and Pro-18 are file compatible. I copied my 800 file to the 18 software for a friend of mine and he wrote it to his 18 just fine. The 18 doesn't support V folders so you will only get what is in your current folder and it doesn't support 200 scan lists but as long as you are under 100 it should be fine
By doing this were you able to transfer over the Canadian frequency database? I have a PRO-18 and am having trouble getting the Canadian frequencies loaded.
I wish I could find a download of the PRS-800's sd card contents.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions