RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 7:48 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default pro 106 and encrypted traffic

is there anyway to set a pro 106 to receive encrypted traffic? i know i wouldnt be able to listen in on it but i would like to know that i am hearing some traffic even if i cant hear it ie federal?
Sponsored links
Old 09-22-2013, 8:06 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just program it into a conventional channel and set the P25 code.
Old 09-22-2013, 8:57 AM

Some forms of P25 just simply wouldn't even come up ( being heard) on any scanner. The scanner itself picks up the transmission as being said over the airwaves however you hear dead silence. Usually however you can hear the broken up language of P25 encryption.

** Note ** You cannot receive AEGIS Digital or EDACS Digital system voices. No scanner on the market can however there is EDACS receivers that one can purchase to receive these transmissions. Also too if its encrypted your out of luck listening to it. Its as simple as that.
Old 09-22-2013, 9:49 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Yea I understood that that I couldn't "hear" the conversation but I thought most scanners wouldn't even break squelch for enc transmissions
Old 09-22-2013, 6:36 PM

The 106 will recieve the P25 encrypted signal but will not decode it (of course). You can even program the NAC code and it will break squelch. Not sure if there is some that it will not recieve for some reason, but when the TBI/FBI transmits here you hear the broken up sound of the encryption. It is a really annoying sound to me.
Old 09-22-2013, 7:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconrider8 View Post
Yea I understood that that I couldn't "hear" the conversation but I thought most scanners wouldn't even break squelch for enc transmissions
The 106/197 will hear the annoying digital noise of the encryption. Just for an FYI, not all channels are encrypted all of the time. If you can put up with the noise, you just never know what you'll hear
Larry
Old 09-22-2013, 7:33 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

I have posted the following tip several times on RR,

IF you have a GRE 500,600 or r/s pro-106, 197 and you wish to block encrypted traffic from stopping your scanning, then IF conventional P25 then simply lock out the entry.
IF the encryption is a talkgroup coming up on your wildcard, then simply enter that talkgroup as a object in a list that you don't use,and lock it out.
It won't be heard on your wildcard then.

n9zas
Old 09-23-2013, 11:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewecke View Post

IF you have a GRE 500,600 or r/s pro-106, 197 and you wish to block encrypted traffic from stopping your scanning, then IF conventional P25 then simply lock out the entry.
IF the encryption is a talkgroup coming up on your wildcard, then simply enter that talkgroup as a object in a list that you don't use,and lock it out.

n9zas
The OP wants to know if there is traffic on the frequency/frequencies to keep track of activity. Doesn't want to lock it out.
Larry
Old 09-23-2013, 12:07 PM

Well it may sound like a good ideas until you hear the ENC a few times..

Very annoying lol.
Sponsored links
Old 09-30-2013, 7:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I believe that there are different encryption methods in use.
Some can be "decoded" by the scanner to give a series of random chirp-like sounds.
Some, I believe, will give silence.
Old 09-30-2013, 8:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewecke View Post

n9zas
That's useless if only 10% of the users of a given talkgroup are encrypted and the rest are in the clear. Why would I want to lockout the in the clear talk?
Get a Uniden, they skip over encrypted P25 traffic without a hiccup unlike the PSR500/600's which make you hear the horrible encrypted sound or the PSR800 which does mute the sound (if desired) but still ties up the radio by holding on the encrypted talkgroup until the transmission ends.
Uniden does it right and lets the radio keep on scanning looking for in the clear transmissions. You miss them with the GREs.
Old 10-01-2013, 2:36 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruser View Post
That's useless if only 10% of the users of a given talkgroup are encrypted and the rest are in the clear. Why would I want to lockout the in the clear talk?
Encrypted talk groups are used only by certain users, those who are authorized, those who aren't authorized don't have access anyway. So therefore, you lock out the encrypted one.
Yaesu FT-60R, 2900R, 8000R & 8800R, Motorola MTX9250, Icom IC-735
Old 10-01-2013, 7:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1BHH View Post
Encrypted talk groups are used only by certain users, those who are authorized, those who aren't authorized don't have access anyway. So therefore, you lock out the encrypted one.
That is not how it is done here. They encrypt by the user and not the talkgroup. Only about 10% of the users use encryption. There is no talkgroup that is full time encrypted.
Encryption can be heard on ANY talkgroup in the system so if I locked all talkgroups out that carried encryption, I'd have no talkgroups to listen too at all!

On a Uniden radio, if you holding on a talkgroup, when an encrypted user comes on the air, the display in the Uniden will indicate ENC otherwise it says LNK or DAT when non encrypted users are on that same talkgroup.
On the Uniden, you hear nothing though and there is no way of telling if the scanner detected encryption when it is scanning or searching a system.

For the OP, you can always watch Pro96com's display screen and see when a user is encrypted for P25 systems.