pro 106 and encrypted traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

reconrider8

is there anyway to set a pro 106 to receive encrypted traffic? i know i wouldnt be able to listen in on it but i would like to know that i am hearing some traffic even if i cant hear it ie federal?

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Some forms of P25 just simply wouldn't even come up ( being heard) on any scanner. The scanner itself picks up the transmission as being said over the airwaves however you hear dead silence. Usually however you can hear the broken up language of P25 encryption.

** Note ** You cannot receive AEGIS Digital or EDACS Digital system voices. No scanner on the market can however there is EDACS receivers that one can purchase to receive these transmissions. Also too if its encrypted your out of luck listening to it. Its as simple as that.

reconrider8

Yea I understood that that I couldn't "hear" the conversation but I thought most scanners wouldn't even break squelch for enc transmissions

jfhtm350

The 106 will recieve the P25 encrypted signal but will not decode it (of course). You can even program the NAC code and it will break squelch. Not sure if there is some that it will not recieve for some reason, but when the TBI/FBI transmits here you hear the broken up sound of the encryption. It is a really annoying sound to me.

N8IAA

Yea I understood that that I couldn't "hear" the conversation but I thought most scanners wouldn't even break squelch for enc transmissions

The 106/197 will hear the annoying digital noise of the encryption. Just for an FYI, not all channels are encrypted all of the time. If you can put up with the noise, you just never know what you'll hear:wink:
Larry

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have posted the following tip several times on RR,

IF you have a GRE 500,600 or r/s pro-106, 197 and you wish to block encrypted traffic from stopping your scanning, then IF conventional P25 then simply lock out the entry.
IF the encryption is a talkgroup coming up on your wildcard, then simply enter that talkgroup as a object in a list that you don't use,and lock it out.
It won't be heard on your wildcard then. :)

n9zas

N8IAA

IF you have a GRE 500,600 or r/s pro-106, 197 and you wish to block encrypted traffic from stopping your scanning, then IF conventional P25 then simply lock out the entry.
IF the encryption is a talkgroup coming up on your wildcard, then simply enter that talkgroup as a object in a list that you don't use,and lock it out.

n9zas

The OP wants to know if there is traffic on the frequency/frequencies to keep track of activity. Doesn't want to lock it out.
Larry

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
I believe that there are different encryption methods in use.
Some can be "decoded" by the scanner to give a series of random chirp-like sounds.
Some, I believe, will give silence.

kruser

Premium Subscriber

n9zas

That's useless if only 10% of the users of a given talkgroup are encrypted and the rest are in the clear. Why would I want to lockout the in the clear talk?
Get a Uniden, they skip over encrypted P25 traffic without a hiccup unlike the PSR500/600's which make you hear the horrible encrypted sound or the PSR800 which does mute the sound (if desired) but still ties up the radio by holding on the encrypted talkgroup until the transmission ends.
Uniden does it right and lets the radio keep on scanning looking for in the clear transmissions. You miss them with the GREs.

N1BHH

That's useless if only 10% of the users of a given talkgroup are encrypted and the rest are in the clear. Why would I want to lockout the in the clear talk?

Encrypted talk groups are used only by certain users, those who are authorized, those who aren't authorized don't have access anyway. So therefore, you lock out the encrypted one.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Encrypted talk groups are used only by certain users, those who are authorized, those who aren't authorized don't have access anyway. So therefore, you lock out the encrypted one.

That is not how it is done here. They encrypt by the user and not the talkgroup. Only about 10% of the users use encryption. There is no talkgroup that is full time encrypted.
Encryption can be heard on ANY talkgroup in the system so if I locked all talkgroups out that carried encryption, I'd have no talkgroups to listen too at all!

On a Uniden radio, if you holding on a talkgroup, when an encrypted user comes on the air, the display in the Uniden will indicate ENC otherwise it says LNK or DAT when non encrypted users are on that same talkgroup.
On the Uniden, you hear nothing though and there is no way of telling if the scanner detected encryption when it is scanning or searching a system.

For the OP, you can always watch Pro96com's display screen and see when a user is encrypted for P25 systems.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
On the Pro-106 I have no problem listening to Phase 2 digital. I know its not encrypted but this scanner shouldn't be decoding it. Same goes for X2-TDMA. Somehow my Pro-106 decodes that as well. Odd isn't it?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
On the Pro-106 I have no problem listening to Phase 2 digital. I know its not encrypted but this scanner shouldn't be decoding it. Same goes for X2-TDMA. Somehow my Pro-106 decodes that as well. Odd isn't it?

You are mistaken. The Pro-106 can't monitor either Phase II TDMA nor X2 talkgroups.
Please link the system you are monitoring from the RR database.
Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

jfhtm350

Either you have a tapped 106 or the database lists the system as Phase II and X2-TDMA and its really Phase I. The Pro-106 cannot decode Phase II on its own.

dw2872

Many think they are decoding Phase II when they are only receiving a system that is capable of, or transmitting some (but not all) TGs with Phase II.

It is the Phase II audio that won't be decoded and you may be hearing only the Phase I transmissions on the system.

Don't think that just because a system is Phase II capable then you are receiving all the Phase II audio transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.