Pro 96 rebanding

Do you like your Pro 96

• Yes I love every thing about it.

Votes: 26 72.2%
  • Yes but I need better support for upgrades.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Yes but control software should be free.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • I don't care for the pro 96.

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

catvjbs

Ok I have a Pro 96 scanner. I am trying to find out how to do the rebanding. Is this completed with the radio shacks latest upgrade utility on there web site? Or is there something else I need to do. Where can I find out what areas have been rebanded so I can decide when I want to reband?

Also I have the squelch and volume control issue. This did not start until after it was out of warranty. I did make a temp fix by making a rubber spacer that applies a little pressure on the circuit board and it eliminates the problem. I would like to fix the issue correctly. Dose anyone knows what is causing it? Is there a bad connector or solder joint on the board? For the life of me I have not been able to find it.

Any info would be appreciated. I have searched the site and can’t find the info I am looking for.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
I think you might have a misunderstanding of the rebanding issue. Rebanding will be taking place at different times across the US. Furthermore, not every 800MHz TRS in the US will have to be rebanded. In fact, the first TRS has not even been rebanded yet, therefore, the scanner manufacturers are still cautiously optimistic about which scanners will & will-not work after rebanding takes place.

It's suspected that the Pro-96 and Pro-2096 will have to be sent to Fort Worth for thier upgrade, but this has been confirmed yet.

So as for the rebanding issue on your 96, it's still (at least) a little ways off! :)

catvjbs

BoxAlarm187 said:
I think you might have a misunderstanding of the rebanding issue. Rebanding will be taking place at different times across the US. Furthermore, not every 800MHz TRS in the US will have to be rebanded. In fact, the first TRS has not even been rebanded yet, therefore, the scanner manufacturers are still cautiously optimistic about which scanners will & will-not work after rebanding takes place.

It's suspected that the Pro-96 and Pro-2096 will have to be sent to Fort Worth for thier upgrade, but this has been confirmed yet.

So as for the rebanding issue on your 96, it's still (at least) a little ways off! :)

Its my understanding that Ohio will be re-banding in a few months. This is where I live so I want to be ready. Since we can do firmware upgrades and program freq with a data cable on the pro 96 I hope they will have somthing we can download. I dont like shipping somthing I spent $500 on all over the country.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
nothing has been rebanded. no one knows if any scanner can be made to track motorola systems that are rebanded. Uniden and GRE have both said they have to test on systems up and running. The hope is the 296, 796 and 396 can be reflashed unless motorola does something unexpected. It is also hoped that Pro96/2096 can do rebanding with just using the tables in WIN96. The models that came out since 396 and Pro96 may or may not be able to handle it. NO one knows now and no need in sitting around worrying.

FCVPI99

you need to add an answer to you poll
i got the pro 96 cuz of digital
i think the pro 97 its a much better radio

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Between 2005 and 2008, the FCC is reconfiguring (or rebanding) the 800 MHz band in order to prevent dangerous interference and "dead zones" for public safety radio. Scanners which have pre-programmed service bands will therefore no longer be scanning the proper frequencies for those services. This will cause significant issues for scanner enthusiasts in the short term; however, in the long run, the process will result in clear scanning of the public safety and other bands, as interference will be minimized. In addition to the public safety frequencies, the trunked systems (such as EDACS, Motorola and Nextel) are also being moved.

The first change in frequencies is currently expected to occur in Spring 2006.

Over the years, more and more users and required uses have crammed more and more active frequencies into the 800 MHz frequency band. Presently, commercial radio and public safety radio operate in the same or adjacent frequency bands. This has led to more and more problems with interference between commercial radio and public safety radio. These problems included "dead zones" in which public safety radios could not operate. Obviously, this creates the potential for situations where public safety departments are unable to communicate when they most need to, in life-threatening situations.

As per the Transition Administration website: "Many 800 MHz systems, including public safety, CII, B/ILT, and commercial SMR systems operating in the 800 MHz Band will be required to relocate. Licensees in the 809-815/854-860 MHz Band are not required to relocate."

The organization in charge of implementing the rebanding is the 800 MHz Transition Authority. This consortium of companies and government entities has a website at http://www.800ta.org.

catvjbs

Thanks for all the replys and info on rebanding, Dose any one have any Ideas about the other issue I am having with the audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.