Pro-2006 EL Backlight Dim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scannerfan15

Premium Subscriber
Hello Everybody, I have a question about the blue EL Backlight.

Lately I have been having trouble with my backlight being dim, so I tried replacing it, but after that did not fix it I was stumped.

So later I checked the voltage.

The service manual states the output is 70 VAC 450Hz.
Mine is outputting 61 VAC, I did not check the frequency.

So have any of ya had this problem?
My best guess is bad power supply capacitors or a bad voltage regulator.
Otherwise the radio works fine just a dim backlight.

Also I have looked into using LEDs, Do any of you have tips on this mod, I have seen the mod with the Digi-key LED panel, I would rather the entire display be backlit and look like the original one.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
Check ebay should be some place that still sells these. My also be a variance of lcd replacement, I did do mine like 10 yrs ago....and needed to trim piece.

wmbio

Scannerfan,
Your input voltage is just fine, just be very careful replacing the EL. There are DYI instructions on the net.

Enjoy
Wmbio

anderd

I replaced the EL panel, transistor and caps in the EL circuit, still i have a dim display. I checked with it in circuit and underload (turned on) and i get 55vac and around 280hz, with it out of circuit and just testing the supply voltage without the EL panel there, i get 70vac and 3-350hz. Im wondering if the transformer i replaced a few years back has managed to go bad? Anyone have any ideas and or a source for said transformer as i doubt tandy has them anymore lol.

Thanks!
David

Status
Not open for further replies.