RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2014, 3:30 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Owensboro, KY (Daviess County)
Posts: 344
Default P25 Trunking (Pro 2096/Pro 96)

I apologize if this has been asked before, but if it has, I wasn't able to find the correct keywords to locate it.
My area is changing from EDACS trunking to P25 trunking sometime later this month. I've heard from some people on the inside that it will use the same frequencies and talkgroups, that they are currently using, once it goes live. I do hear a P25 control channel on one of the current EDACS LCNs.
If what I heard is true, I am assuming that I could just change the bank and talkgroups from EDACS to Motorola. Would that be correct?
Since little else is known about it I'd like to leave all the current LCNs programmed until I figure out the control channel rotation on the new system. In doing so, would I need to put the empty channel in between them like is suggested for Motorola control channels that are programmed into the same bank?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2014, 4:17 PM
Ronaldski's Avatar
Mid-MI DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay City MI
Posts: 1,324
Default

I just typed in a search your town and found,
Owensboro going digital?

Far as just changing it motorola p25, problem would be that edacs uses the lcn numbers and p25 does not.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2014, 4:28 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Owensboro, KY (Daviess County)
Posts: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldski View Post
I just typed in a search your town and found,
Owensboro going digital?

Far as just changing it motorola p25, problem would be that edacs uses the lcn numbers and p25 does not.
Correct. However by using the same frequencies under control channel trunking I'm thinking I should be good to go if I have all the all frequencies in it. That way no matter which control channel they rotate to I should be good to go. I'm not sure about that though so that's why I wanted to check before I break out the cable and software and start reprogramming. I do a have a Motorola SmartNet III system programmed for across the river in Indiana, using control channel trunking, and it works great. Just not sure if P25 trunking programs the same way as this will be the first P25 trunked system anywhere near here and I don't have any experience with it yet. Once I get it down I'll try to help the others in the area get it figured out. Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2014, 4:38 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 186
Default

Change your bank to MOT

You only need LCNs 852.625 853.0875 853.575 and 853.8375 and they all need to change to MO as well

You should also change your bandplan to 9600 custom and put in base 851.00625 step 6.25 and offset 0.

Open the bank because you will not have AFS talkgroups any more. They will be more like 101, 103 ...

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2014, 4:45 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Owensboro, KY (Daviess County)
Posts: 344
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dste View Post
Change your bank to MOT

You only need LCNs 852.625 853.0875 853.575 and 853.8375 and they all need to change to MO as well

You should also change your bandplan to 9600 custom and put in base 851.00625 step 6.25 and offset 0.

Open the bank because you will not have AFS talkgroups any more. They will be more like 101, 103 ...

Good Luck.
Thank you! The talkgroups themselves shouldn't be too hard to figure out as the traffic on them shouldn't change. Now I can get started on the programming.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2014, 4:54 PM
RonnieUSA's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rowan County,KY (Morehead)
Posts: 1,525
Default

The CC's have already been added to the database.
Owensboro Public Safety and Services (P25) Trunking System, Owensboro, Kentucky - Scanner Frequencies

852.62500a, 853.08750a, 853.57500a, 853.83750c
Here is a Win96 file with just the Owensboro P25 system in it.
__________________
Radio Shack Pro-197 - Win500
NooElect R820T SDR & DVB-T x2 - SDRSharp

Last edited by RonnieUSA; 01-14-2014 at 9:13 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 5:11 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Owensboro, KY (Daviess County)
Posts: 344
Default

In the database there are DEC and AFS listings for the current EDACS system talkgroups. Which format does Motorola use? Since I heard they will be using the same talkgroups I'm planning on entering either the DEC or AFS and using my programming software to convert it to the Motorola format. I'll still keep my bank open just in case but I'm wondering if that's maybe what they done when they programmed the P25 system as some of their EDACS radios are also P25 compatible.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 5:43 PM
RonnieUSA's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rowan County,KY (Morehead)
Posts: 1,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh367 View Post
In the database there are DEC and AFS listings for the current EDACS system talkgroups. Which format does Motorola use? Since I heard they will be using the same talkgroups I'm planning on entering either the DEC or AFS and using my programming software to convert it to the Motorola format. I'll still keep my bank open just in case but I'm wondering if that's maybe what they done when they programmed the P25 system as some of their EDACS radios are also P25 compatible.
Did You look at the file I uploaded for You, there are no talk groups, because none have been found yet.
Look at this, it is a system converting from EDACS to P25.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7535
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5241
__________________
Radio Shack Pro-197 - Win500
NooElect R820T SDR & DVB-T x2 - SDRSharp

Last edited by RonnieUSA; 01-14-2014 at 5:46 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 6:14 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Owensboro, KY (Daviess County)
Posts: 344
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieUSA View Post
Did You look at the file I uploaded for You, there are no talk groups, because none have been found yet.
Looks like someone's had a bad day thus far. With that kind of attitude none of them will be found. I'm working on finding them based on some inside information I received. Whether it's accurate or not is what I'm trying to find out once it goes live. If it is accurate then I'm already good to go. If it's not then I'll start from the beginning and figure them out like everyone else. Maybe someone else will be kind enough to answer my question without admonishing me for trying to experiment.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2014, 4:31 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh367 View Post
In the database there are DEC and AFS listings for the current EDACS system talkgroups. Which format does Motorola use? Since I heard they will be using the same talkgroups I'm planning on entering either the DEC or AFS and using my programming software to convert it to the Motorola format. I'll still keep my bank open just in case but I'm wondering if that's maybe what they done when they programmed the P25 system as some of their EDACS radios are also P25 compatible.
There is no direct equivalency between EDACS and Motorola and between EDACS and P25 -- it isn't a matter of automatically converting from one to another. You'll need to set the bank to open and scan until you pick up a few new TGIDs, and possibly then you'll discern a pattern and be able to populate the rest.

If anyone told you they will be using the same talkgroups, they may have meant that the user-apparent channels will be the same. For example, South Dispatch and police tac-4 and Smalltown DPW.

If you know a lot about the old EDACS TGID numbering, including the actual breakdown of the AFS bits, and assume that each old EDACS fleet is mapped to +100 on the P25, then you may be able to make some educated guesses for TGIDs. But there is no automatic conversion, or even common conversion as is sometimes seen from Motorola to P25.

Good luck, and please don't look gift horses (that p96 file) in the mouth.

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2014, 4:35 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Owensboro, KY (Daviess County)
Posts: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbinsj2 View Post
There is no direct equivalency between EDACS and Motorola and between EDACS and P25 -- it isn't a matter of automatically converting from one to another. You'll need to set the bank to open and scan until you pick up a few new TGIDs, and possibly then you'll discern a pattern and be able to populate the rest.

If anyone told you they will be using the same talkgroups, they may have meant that the user-apparent channels will be the same. For example, South Dispatch and police tac-4 and Smalltown DPW.

If you know a lot about the old EDACS TGID numbering, including the actual breakdown of the AFS bits, and assume that each old EDACS fleet is mapped to +100 on the P25, then you may be able to make some educated guesses for TGIDs. But there is no automatic conversion, or even common conversion as is sometimes seen from Motorola to P25.

Good luck, and please don't look gift horses (that p96 file) in the mouth.

Jim
Duly noted and thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-22-2014, 3:56 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Owensboro, KY (Daviess County)
Posts: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbinsj2 View Post
There is no direct equivalency between EDACS and Motorola and between EDACS and P25 -- it isn't a matter of automatically converting from one to another. You'll need to set the bank to open and scan until you pick up a few new TGIDs, and possibly then you'll discern a pattern and be able to populate the rest.

If anyone told you they will be using the same talkgroups, they may have meant that the user-apparent channels will be the same. For example, South Dispatch and police tac-4 and Smalltown DPW.

If you know a lot about the old EDACS TGID numbering, including the actual breakdown of the AFS bits, and assume that each old EDACS fleet is mapped to +100 on the P25, then you may be able to make some educated guesses for TGIDs. But there is no automatic conversion, or even common conversion as is sometimes seen from Motorola to P25.

Good luck, and please don't look gift horses (that p96 file) in the mouth.

Jim
When I programmed the EDACS system, many moons ago, I entered the talkgroups in Decimal rather than AFS. My source was correct about the talkgroups remaining the same. I entered the new control channels and changed the settings from EDACS to Motorola. When it went live Monday, all of the other programming was already done. Thanks again to you and everyone else that helped. I now have a P96 to file to share with anyone else who has a Pro-96 or Pro-2096. One other person has already found it to come in handy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions