Radio Shack Pro2096 receives analog but no Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBLOCK

I have a Pro 2096 scanner that will receive analog ok but will not receive digital. I ruled out reception and programming error as the issue because I cloned programmed this particular 2096 from another Pro2096 that I have been using for years which receives both analog and digital fine. I did a master reset on the unit in question and recloned it several times and still no digital. Its completely deaf on 800mhz trunking P25 and receives on occasion on a conventional P25 channel all while my other 2096 is receiving everything in its path. Same antennas, same everything....

Date code 10A07 running 1.3 CPU and 1.3 DSP

Anyone hear of this before and know if this can be repaired......? The scanner is in excellent condition, bnc jack is secure and no signs that the radio was ever taken apartl

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Pro 2096

I have a Pro 96 with the same problem. The is a test in the trouble shooting section of the manual that I ran and it showed my DSP was not working. I was unable to restore or update the firmware of the DSP, so I did a discriminator tap and use it with DMRDecode. It still works great for air and other conventional frequencies.

GBLOCK

Its seems to receive conventional P25 UHF 470.xxmhz but only about 50% of the time when I have both units on. I am only within miles of both towers. Checked the squelch and still nothing. Again I cloned programmed it from another Pro2096 which works perfect on all bands so I know its not a programming issue. I am pulling in analog UHF from 40 miles out and the BNC is secure so I know its not a reception/ connection issue.

When I hit MAN on the 800mhz trunking P25 channel on the working unit I see the Sys ID and reception % displayed but when I hit MAN on the "deaf" unit I can hear the data packets identical to the working unit by no Sys ID or reception % is displayed.

I did a full system reset several times and even manually programmed the P25 800mhz trunking channel/talkgroups and still nothing.............I have been using these model scanners since they were released in 2003 and never saw an issue as such....

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
I had the same problem with a PRO 96. When I manually selected the control channel it showed very low % (4-20) while my other radio showed 80-95. I adjusted vr4 and the % went up comparable and it started receiving again.

illinois_skywarn_spotter

Feed Provider
Maybe you all can help. I've been trying to RX The P25 Starcom System in Illinois for a couple of Months now with no success. I have the Pro-2096. The system is only 10 to 15 miles away from me as the crow flies and CAN NOT RX that system for nothing. I do hear the Hoosier Safe-T System in Terre Haute and the NEW P25 Hoosier Safe-T System that is located here now as well. Anyways no matter how I program it, It just seems the Illinois Starcom System isn't even there. The sites I am trying to hear are Marshall, Martinsville & Paris IL. Also seems like I'm not hearing the Hoosier Safe-T System in near by counties. But anyways I'm not even hearing the data sounds from the control freqs. I had a friend come over the other day with his handheld scanner and connected to my antenna and he was RXing all the systems mentioned above with no problems at all, so I know its not my antenna or its location. Has to be something with the radio. Either Programing (Operator Error) or radio itself. Any thoughts or suggestions???????

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
You may have to go into the custom rebanding also not sure the 2096 or 96 will track 700 systems as I have 4 coming to my area but not working yet anyway look up pro96 rebanding this may be your answer.

Voyager

Most likely the issue is frequency drift. This affects P25 signals long before it will be audible on analog signals. If this is the issue, get your scanner realigned.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I would not do that unless you have a over $20,000.00 twoway service monitor and 3 or 4 other pieces of service tools for aligning radios along with the radioshack service manual. Looking at what you are wanting to track I see rebanded 800 sites. Trunking works by tracking radio channel numbers 451 452 ect not tracking the frequency number. These numbers all went through a number change years ago if your scanner hears P25 conventional then it does not need realinged there are articles on rebanding here on this site. If you start turning trim pots you may just brick your scanner as I have seen one post from upman stating they fix RS scanners for $50.00. I have a pro-2096 and pro-96 that I use to track conventional P25 only and use my new scanners to track trunking P25 phase1 trunking and my new pro-668 to track p25 phase1 and phase2 trunking.

Voyager

I would not do that unless you have a over $20,000.00 twoway service monitor and 3 or 4 other pieces of service tools for aligning radios along with the radioshack service manual. Looking at what you are wanting to track I see rebanded 800 sites. Trunking works by tracking radio channel numbers 451 452 ect not tracking the frequency number. These numbers all went through a number change years ago if your scanner hears P25 conventional then it does not need realinged there are articles on rebanding here on this site. If you start turning trim pots you may just brick your scanner as I have seen one post from upman stating they fix RS scanners for $50.00. I have a pro-2096 and pro-96 that I use to track conventional P25 only and use my new scanners to track trunking P25 phase1 trunking and my new pro-668 to track p25 phase1 and phase2 trunking.

OMG. Where to start...

You don't need a $20K service monitor. You do need a frequency counter and a signal generator. You don't need the service manual, but you do need to know what pots (VR2/VR3) do what. Not all trunking uses channel numbers. Hearing P25 conventional means nothing unless you are talking about the same frequency band, as a 2 kHz error on 800 MHz is about a 350 Hz error on 150 Mhz. You cannot brick a scanner by a bad alignment. You can only make it worse.

All that said, if you don't know what you are doing, you should send it to someplace that does know. You can easily test to see if it's off frequency. Tune (using the TUNE mode) to the voice channel frequency of a P25 TRS - preferably on 800 MHz. Wait for a signal. Tune up and down to see if you decode on an adjacent frequency. If you do, and you don't decode on the actual frequency, your scanner is off frequency and needs aligned.

And drift issues are very common on the 2096, and to a lesser degree on the 96.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Well I guess working 10 years in a twoway repair shop and having a 2nd Class FCC Lic as I do I am also one of the administrators for our local 800 system. I am not going to make this anything else of this I have given the poster proper info. Just buy and read the service manual for proper tuning instructions.

Voyager

Won't comment on your experience, but you should know everything I posted is true. There are 3 pots in the 2096. If you know how to set them (and have the equipment), having the service manual is not required - just as having the service manual is not required to change a spark plug in your car - you just need to know how.

Oh, and as for administrating an 800 MHz system, so you know how they work, ever hear the term "P25 implicit trunking"? If not, you may want to look it up. (hint: no channel numbers are used)

And not that it's a competition, but I have several times over your experience that starts when trunking was "an interesting concept".

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I wouldn't consider re-aligning a radio an apples to apples comparison with changing a spark plug...

Maybe changing the batteries in your radio, but certainly not realignment.

Voyager

It's the same to those of us who know how to do both. But, true, likely more know the latter. I've become quite proficient at changing coil packs, too.

Either case is a tune-up to improve the performance and eliminate sputtering audio or ignition.

And changing the battery would be more like changing the battery. ;->

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
Again, anyone know what VR 2 & 3 are for?, I have a 96 that has low % on 46-.000 (18-24) while my other shows 60 to 88.

VE3RADIO

OMG. Where to start...

You don't need a $20K service monitor. You do need a frequency counter and a signal generator. You don't need the service manual, but you do need to know what pots (VR2/VR3) do what. Not all trunking uses channel numbers. Hearing P25 conventional means nothing unless you are talking about the same frequency band, as a 2 kHz error on 800 MHz is about a 350 Hz error on 150 Mhz. You cannot brick a scanner by a bad alignment. You can only make it worse.

All that said, if you don't know what you are doing, you should send it to someplace that does know. You can easily test to see if it's off frequency. Tune (using the TUNE mode) to the voice channel frequency of a P25 TRS - preferably on 800 MHz. Wait for a signal. Tune up and down to see if you decode on an adjacent frequency. If you do, and you don't decode on the actual frequency, your scanner is off frequency and needs aligned.

And drift issues are very common on the 2096, and to a lesser degree on the 96.

Voyager is right you will need to play with the pots.. I had the same problem with a 2096... after playing with the pots it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.