New Whistler made Radio Shack Scanners !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael-SATX

Here is some GREat news effective today ! These 4 new RS catalog numbers were just officially added.
The 4 RS models that used to be made by GRE are now being made by Whistler and are almost here.

New RS Pro-649 (was Pro-404) 200CH Handheld Scanner $99 (Whistler version WS1025 $139)
New RS Pro-650 (was Pro-405) 200CH Desktop Scanner $99 (Whistler version WS1010 $139)

New RS Pro-651 (was Pro-106) Digital Handheld Scanner $399 (Whistler version WS1040 $599)
New RS Pro-652 (was Pro-197) Digital Base/Mobile Scanner $399 (Whistler version WS1045 $599)

We should start seeing these new scanners as soon as they ship to the warehouse and then to stores !

ps~ On a side note some bargain savvy folks just might find the Uniden BCD-996XT as low as $262.47 :)

Swipesy

Not to shoot the messenger here but how can there be such a price difference between RS-Pro-651 and RS Pro-652 at $399 and Whistler's versions at $599? Is something major missing from the RS versions that will be in the Whistler's versions? No way could Whistler sell their units for $200 more. Am I missing something here?

mule1075

Feed Provider
Not to shoot the messenger here but how can there be such a price difference between RS-Pro-651 and RS Pro-652 at $399 and Whistler's versions at $599? Is something major missing from the RS versions that will be in the Whistler's versions? No way could Whistler sell their units for $200 more. Am I missing something here?
No different then when GRE was making them.The GRE brand was always priced higher then the RS models.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

krokus

Premium Subscriber
No different then when GRE was making them.The GRE brand was always priced higher then the RS models.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

GRE included the programming cable, two battery holders and the AC adapter. The RS versions were ala carte.

Sent via Tapatalk

Boatanchor

Here is some GREat news effective today ! These 4 new RS catalog numbers were just officially added.
The 4 RS models that used to be made by GRE are now being made by Whistler and are almost here.

New RS Pro-649 (was Pro-404) 200CH Handheld Scanner $99 (Whistler version WS1025 $139)
New RS Pro-650 (was Pro-405) 200CH Desktop Scanner $99 (Whistler version WS1010 $139)

New RS Pro-651 (was Pro-106) Digital Handheld Scanner $399 (Whistler version WS1040 $599)
New RS Pro-652 (was Pro-197) Digital Base/Mobile Scanner $399 (Whistler version WS1045 $599)

We should start seeing these new scanners as soon as they ship to the warehouse and then to stores !

ps~ On a side note some bargain savvy folks just might find the Uniden BCD-996XT as low as $262.47 :)

Begs the question of who would be silly enough to pay $399 for an old digital scanner design, let alone $599!

I can't see Uniden shaking in their boots with fear, with the announcement of these prices ☺

Nasby

In true RS fashion, I'm sure we will see some of these units go on sale every couple of months for $25-$50 off which will make them that much more affordable.

JustLou

Not even taking into account the prices, I still have such mixed feeling about these "new" radios. On one hand, my GRE radios easily outperform my Uniden radios. On the other hand, when I hear the name "Whistler", all I can think about is cheap, mediocre radar detectors.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
GRE included the programming cable, two battery holders and the AC adapter. The RS versions were ala carte.

Since when is any of that stuff worth an extra $200? What the hell are they thinking? Do they honestly expect anyone to pay a PREMIUM price for a several-years-old Phase I only design when the BCD436HP does both Phase I and II PLUS includes a programming cable, a set of rechargeable batteries and has free software available for download for $100 LESS??

You've got to be joking, Whistler. Try again.

It should be sharp since they jacked up the price and the only things that changed are the packaging and names on the radios.

Amen. Tell me we're missing something. I find it hard to believe Whistler spent so much money acquiring this product line that they have to charge $100 MORE than their competitor for a scanner with less capabilities than their competitor's product to recoup the investment.

-AZ

Michael-SATX

As of today all 4 models are officially able to be purchased via the "In-Store Direct2U" process (w/ Free Shipping) !

Also, a friend called me to say that he found a store that their clearence BCD-996XT was ONLY $188 !

Yes, he got a GREat Deal and bought it on the spot !!! Happy Hunting :)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The Whistler branded stuff is provided by a 3rd party, not directly by RS (you can tell because the SKU starts with 550). The prices they are showing are typical of other 550xxx scanner products in the past as being highly marked up as compared to the "street" retail price.
Code:
             ^
           /   \
         /       \                                                  ^
       /           \                                              /    \
         MOUNTAIN                                                MOLEHILL

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Begs the question of who would be silly enough to pay $399 for an old digital scanner design, let alone $599!

I can't see Uniden shaking in their boots with fear, with the announcement of these prices ☺

I would, if the price was the same, take any of the digital GRE radios over any of the Uniden radios. IMHO, the new Uniden scanners are basically a train wreck. So many features, so many crazy issues. Three people I know have bought BCD436HP's and all have sent them back for the usual reason involving loss of sensitivity and SD card issues. At least the GRE radios work as designed. No, they aren't perfect, they have the crappy volume pots, junk BNC connector, and I have broken at least one battery holder per year I've had my 106 just from swapping batteries out. The last Uniden I liked at all was the BCD396XT, but not enough to keep it too long.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I hope they have other outlets besides RS as it may not be around much longer. How are we going to get our RS scanners repaired if RS goes under? Will Whistler step in to cover the warranty?

I own some scanners (back to 1973) whose manufacture have long gone out of business but the technology has moved on to such an extent that it is not much of a loss.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
I would, if the price was the same, take any of the digital GRE radios over any of the Uniden radios. IMHO, the new Uniden scanners are basically a train wreck. So many features, so many crazy issues. Three people I know have bought BCD436HP's and all have sent them back for the usual reason involving loss of sensitivity and SD card issues. At least the GRE radios work as designed. No, they aren't perfect, they have the crappy volume pots, junk BNC connector, and I have broken at least one battery holder per year I've had my 106 just from swapping batteries out. The last Uniden I liked at all was the BCD396XT, but not enough to keep it too long.

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have a RS pro-106 and a BCD436HP. The 436 is getting a lot more usage out of it and I haven't even turned on the 106 since buying the 436 a couple of months ago. I think both are equally good radios, but there's NO WAY a 106 is worth $599 by any stretch of the imagination. Certainly when it has no additional features over the 436. I have had no problems with my 436 at all so it's nowhere near a train wreck. Yes, some people have had problems with theirs, but not everyone. Certainly not enough to deem them a train wreck across the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.