RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 7:40 AM

IF they had a 15 second commercial about a pro 197 and 106 on sale for less than $100.00, I bet they would have a store full of customers within an hour. As far as the competition goes, it's a free world to bury the competition, or get burried. Besides, every year-more people get scanners. We are NOT a dying race. We just want a good deal-no matter WHO has it..
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2014, 9:15 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainetrunk View Post
IF they had a 15 second commercial about a pro 197 and 106 on sale for less than $100.00, I bet they would have a store full of customers within an hour. As far as the competition goes, it's a free world to bury the competition, or get burried. Besides, every year-more people get scanners. We are NOT a dying race. We just want a good deal-no matter WHO has it..
$100 for a pro scanner? Who needs a professional scanner when my free smartphone app does the exact same thing! Damn RadioShack trying to rip me off!

That being said, I would say RadioShack has been buried if they're selling scanners for a loss in their current financial situation. I definitely second you on the good deal part of your statement however!

Last edited by Spitfire8520; 07-30-2014 at 9:26 AM.. Reason: Whoops, that isn't the preview button!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherubim View Post
It's hardly a nationwide sale - just a writedown of unsold inventory and restricted to various stores. I don't think it will make a dent in Whistlers bottom line and besides, they know their are plenty of idiots willing to pay full retail pricing for their scanners.
Agree -- from all indications, when I picked up my Pro-197, it was an item that had been sitting on the shelf for a looong time. They seemed happy to get rid of it. Next to it were all the newer models, at full price of course.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregontreehugger View Post
Agree -- from all indications, when I picked up my Pro-197, it was an item that had been sitting on the shelf for a looong time. They seemed happy to get rid of it. Next to it were all the newer models, at full price of course.
+1. I don't think there were very many of them still around at all. The one I got was the only one in 5 states to show up on the system. I stopped in Monday and asked them to run the #'s for the 106, and it came up as zero available in the same area. Old stock, out of production for more than 2 years, just moving it out so that they can showcase their new stuff...even if some of it is exactly the same. Good deal for those of us who have to think long and hard about high-dollar toys. Same story on the Pro-18 I snagged last year...and neither of them deprived Uniden/Whistler of a sale, as I'd still be muddling along without a working digital trunking scanner if these deals hadn't come along, since I can't justify a $500+ toy. But my appetite is whetted now, which may be good news for them down the road somewhere.

So far I have exactly one gripe with the 197...the volume control. It goes from barely-hear-it to drowning-out-the-tv-in-the-next-room in about 2 degrees of rotation, and that's in the 9:00 area. I think I'm going to buy an external speaker with its own volume control and try that to moderate things.
Old 07-30-2014, 7:45 PM

I got a bearcat speaker for my pro 197, works perfect. Great for putting it in the window for all to hear at bbq's.
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ11DLN View Post
So far I have exactly one gripe with the 197...the volume control. It goes from barely-hear-it to drowning-out-the-tv-in-the-next-room in about 2 degrees of rotation, and that's in the 9:00 area. I think I'm going to buy an external speaker with its own volume control and try that to moderate things.
Same here -- although I think that's kind of representative of GRE products in general. At least, it's been that way on past scanners of mine. On the plus side, the sound from their offerings is excellent!
Old 07-31-2014, 5:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregontreehugger View Post
Same here -- although I think that's kind of representative of GRE products in general. At least, it's been that way on past scanners of mine. On the plus side, the sound from their offerings is excellent!
+1 on the excellent audio. Even the tiny little speaker on the Pro-18 does a very good job. And the fact that the 197 has a great speaker and a dodgy volume pot sort of aggravated me. Being an idiot, I didn't even think about computer speakers, of which I've accumulated several spares/orphans over the years. With the radio volume just barely cracked, the amplified speaker works very well and audio quality seems as good as the stock speaker, which I'd class as at least above-average.

Sometimes being something of a pack rat comes in handy!
Old 08-01-2014, 8:08 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire8520 View Post
$100 for a pro scanner? Who needs a professional scanner when my free smartphone app does the exact same thing! Damn RadioShack trying to rip me off!

That being said, I would say RadioShack has been buried if they're selling scanners for a loss in their current financial situation. I definitely second you on the good deal part of your statement however!
Your smartphone app limits you severely on what you COULD hear if you had a properly programmed digital scanner!

The host which provides your "online" feed to the internet limits you to what they may or may not have programmed, so you're not as well informed as you think...

n9zas
Old 08-01-2014, 10:40 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewecke View Post
Your smartphone app limits you severely on what you COULD hear if you had a properly programmed digital scanner!

The host which provides your "online" feed to the internet limits you to what they may or may not have programmed, so you're not as well informed as you think...

n9zas
I think he was probably indulging in a little hyperbole...
Sponsored links
Old 08-01-2014, 2:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Do I win? I feel like I win. Open box discount is nice...
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2014, 3:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ11DLN View Post
I think he was probably indulging in a little hyperbole...
Alas, my little face has let me down.

I was trying to make a comment in response to thoughts of if RadioShack had advertisements for a scanner. I would expect that most of the general public would gawk at the prospect of spending $100 on simple scanner (having no idea what "digital" means), especially with the impression that scanning can be done so via the internet these days.
Old 08-01-2014, 4:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Dynamite discount on your pro-197 !! * just a little jealous here*

n9zas
Old 08-01-2014, 4:11 PM

I'll give you an extra $10.00 if you ship that to me, lol... I'm going OUT tomorrow --on the hunt---.. Let you know what i find. Problem is--they donot open til 9:30--I-O-W, it's gonna be a lonnnnggg morning.
Old 08-01-2014, 6:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Dynamite discount on your pro-197 !! * just a little jealous here*

n9zas
Thanks! Now I just need to figure out how to program it...
Old 08-01-2014, 7:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by unique_username View Post
Thanks! Now I just need to figure out how to program it...
I recommend you get the programming cable from RS, it will make it much easier to do. A trial version of the Butel software will come with it. I found Win500 easier to use, but that's just me, the disk that comes with the cable will get you up and going. Another $34 IIRC for the cable but well worth it compared to trying to do it manually, and a premium membership here at RR to access the database with your program of choice makes it even easier. Don't forget to get the latest firmware and DSP updates installed on it, RS Support still has these as free downloads.

Above all, have fun!
Sponsored links
Old 08-02-2014, 12:26 PM

I struck out on finding pro 106-or 197's within 30 miles of me..FUDGE!!
Old 08-02-2014, 12:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Bought a PRO 197 in Tuscaloosa? And a PRO 106 in Panama City $85.00 & $80.00. This gives me 2 197s and 1 106, I know of another 106 but they say the price is $229.00 on sale. The manager found another in the computer for $91.00 But refused to tell me what store location.
Old 08-02-2014, 2:23 PM

Not even pawn shops within 30 miles of me have it, that stinks!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:08 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsthawk2 View Post
Bought a PRO 197 in Tuscaloosa? And a PRO 106 in Panama City $85.00 & $80.00. This gives me 2 197s and 1 106, I know of another 106 but they say the price is $229.00 on sale. The manager found another in the computer for $91.00 But refused to tell me what store location.
How long ago did you buy the pro106 in Panama City? I've been looking around found nothing I did have the guy at RS look up to the nearest stores and gave me the locations that had them.
Old 08-03-2014, 5:37 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Unfortunately I think a lot of them went straight to Ebay, quite a few new in the box ones listed on there right now and all over $200.