pro197 on clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

menkes

I went to my local Shack on Saturday for some SO-239s, and to my surprise I found a pro197 on clearance for $88.97. They put it on hold for me, 'til I could check with Director of Finance. She said, reluctantly, OK! Picked it up this AM $91.88 out the door! They told me there was another in Elk Grove R S, did I want that one too? I said no let someone else have it. So, if your close check it out.

wise871

Database Admin
Picked up 3 over the last month. :)
Two are still just sitting in the box till I decided what I want to do with them..

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
People have been mentioning these deals for weeks. I had my sister look at stores all over WA state and northern Oregon but found none (at any price). I have checked stores in the Sacramento area, same bad luck. I'd buy at least a couple at that price if I could find them.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the heads up folks -- did some searching high and low and was able to finally locate a 197 on clearance (display model). After constantly missing the Pro-18's on Overstock, this more than makes up for it. :D

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
The 197 is a great digital scanner. Dan helped me get mine going a long time ago. Works like a champ. Missed my chance at a pro 18. Got the email from overstock that they were available and by the time I thought about, they were gone.

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Yeah. still here. My old Pro 82 bit the dust. Can't complain, i bought it at a garage around the corner from me for 2 Dollars!!!!! It was like brand new. the folks bought it and could not get it programmed. I offered to program it, but they said it's yours for 2 dollars. I picked up a 125AT to replace it. Nice little handheld scanner.

DJ11DLN

Anybody got a line on one of these? I've called several RS within a reasonable driving distance (and some well beyond that) and none of them has a -197 in stock. They'd be happy to sell me a -652, of course...but I'm looking for a bargain. Will pay shipping and a reasonable mark-up for your time & effort.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
After calling several locations, a clerk at one RS was able to look up the part number (200-0197) in their internal computer system, which showed who still had stock. You might try that...

wise871

Database Admin
FYI, The Pro-106 are going for the low price also. Again it's hit or miss on locating them. Most stores have been great about searching other stores for me.

DJ11DLN

After calling several locations, a clerk at one RS was able to look up the part number (200-0197) in their internal computer system, which showed who still had stock. You might try that...

Many thanks for that! You must have found one of the few remaining halfway smart RS associates. I asked but none I spoke with knew how to call it up. Thanks to you I did locate one Pro-197. It's about a 150-mile round-trip (they won't ship, store pickup only). Price is $99.99 and they agreed to hold it for me till close tomorrow. IL state sales tax + probably $30 worth of gas...it's still a decent price. I'd love to have found a second one, I have a close friend who is a frustrated scanner junkie; he's on disability now and can't even afford one of these, I owe him some big ones and I'd love to surprise him with a Pro-107 to help him pass the hours. Maybe RS will dump them on Overstock in a couple of months, the way they did with the Pro-18's, and I can grab one for him then.

@wise871: I never thought to ask about the -107. Big palm in the face for me. I'll ask when/if I go, or maybe make some calls...most of the RS associates I spoke to claimed their stores had only the new Whistler-made models in stock, but someone could have goofed.

wise871

Database Admin
DJ11DLN
Great find, it pays to call around and even better if you find a RS sales person who is willing to search the internal system for you. I was bored today and I called the last 2 stores in my area and I found another 996XT at my best price yet. Picking it up after work. :D

wise871

Database Admin
Once again I was at Radio Shack searching for deals and I had a chance to see the whistler scanners. It sure looked liked the lower price 197 that was right next to it for a 1/4 the price. I passed on the 197 but picked up 2x what I was originally wanting. I think Ive hit or called every Radio Shack in the Florida Panhandle. The clerk said I would have to hit the Mobile Alabama area if I wanted more, LOL.

Last edited:

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Dan -- you're gonna need a bigger shack to hold all of these recent additions! Not only that, but you must be on a first-name basis at all the area RS by now. :D

DJ11DLN

DJ11DLN
Great find, it pays to call around and even better if you find a RS sales person who is willing to search the internal system for you. I was bored today and I called the last 2 stores in my area and I found another 996XT at my best price yet. Picking it up after work. :D

Indeed it was. I went and picked it up, long drive, no good way to get here-there, all 2-lanes most of 'em corrugated like an old tin roof. And then possibly the most rude RS associate I've yet met...no other customers but he reminded me of that R. Lee Ermy parody of a Wal-Mart greeter: "...now get your **** and get out!" So I didn't ask him about a 107, x96 or anything else. Got called in to work today (was supposed to be off) but I'll try to catch the local, helpful one later and see what else I can track down. The 197 looks nice sitting next to the old 2023...I'm going to wait till the programming cable comes in and go at it that way.

Last edited:

shew

bcd 396xlt

found a bcd 396xlt my local radio shack still at the regular price....it gave her the box to see if it was on clearance ....nope.....so I will go check others around my are

wise871

Database Admin
396XT are still listed at regular price. The clerk told me the handhelds are more popular so prices on them haven't dropped.

philacop

Premium Subscriber
RS pro 197

Hi gang
I live in greater phila area and while working found a pro 197 at south phila radioshack for $89.00
Had her check and only found 1 left at the north broad st store around temple u for same price !!

Status
Not open for further replies.