Pro-197 Programming Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tramagod

I just bought a Pro-197, don't even have it yet, and I was going to get a programming cable for it. Does the programming cable sold by Rat Shack require a download or install of drivers to use it or is it a "plug and play" cable? Thanks in advance for any assistance on this.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I cannot recall with Windows XP, but plug and play for Windows 7. I'm pretty sure plug and play for XP as well because if it came with a disc, I never used it. I have several of the orange flavored one.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Mine came with a cd. Didn't need a driver for win7 as already stated but the cd had some trial software on it. It was butel software I believe. Worked well for me.

DJ11DLN

www.win500

Designed by DonS. The man that helped design the radio.
Larry

+1. That's what I use and I like it a lot. Also no driver issues here whatsoever with Windows 7. That was a pleasant surprise. Just remember to take off the stereo-to-mono adapter before you plug it in to the PC-IF jack, your 197 doesn't need it.

joeuser

The Wretched
And update the CPU firmware, the DSP at 1.3 is OK I guess. There was a debate on 1.3 v. 1.4 DSP & I never figured out the final call.

DJ11DLN

And update the CPU firmware, the DSP at 1.3 is OK I guess. There was a debate on 1.3 v. 1.4 DSP & I never figured out the final call.

I suspect that is going to be system-specific. I'm using 1.4 on the Hoosier Safe-T System and to me it works great but I think I recall that some systems worked better with 1.3. Nice thing about it, updates are easy on the 197. OP, you might want to try each and see how well they work for your system(s). A lot of stuff affects digital decode and sometimes it's the system that is out of whack, not the scanner. :wink:

AC2OY

If I remember right the cable came with a disc. Win 500 was very good for the 197 once I got used to it. Even though Highpockets really sent me a file with everything in it! I still owe that man a beer or three!!!

sadatoni

Premium Subscriber
I believe all three software products have a limited number of days free trail. When I tried them all, I ended up going with WIN500.

Tramagod

I definitely want to have the best capabilities, but I'm not very computer savy. I may be asking for help on getting the upgrades done.

pepper33

Premium Subscriber
Pro-197

Would it be possible to program the pro-197 with the home patrol software?

FPOWLD

Hi TRAMAGOD,\
I have a Radio shack, Model 20546 Scanner programming cable with software...w/apt for mono jack (PCIIF) and stero jacks. Incliuing CD with usb driver for micrisoft windows. states works on numerous RS scanners including the PRO-197. I have never used it but willing to get rid of it. If you are interested PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.