Comparison between Models

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8HDU

Has anyone had any "hands on" experience with the 20-197 and the 20-652 scanners from Radio Shack?

I'm just wondering if one is better than the other in terms of performance, especially with P25 (Ohio-MARCS) reception and decoding. Any quirks or bugs in the OS of the 20-652 scanner?

Fred/W8HDU

caravanken

I have a 20-197 or Pro 197 and after some issues with the antenna and coax, it is working great. Both 197 and 652 are the same radio design but different manufacturers. 197 was made by GRE in China until the factory burnt down. I think the 652 is made in Taiwan by Whistler so they probably have the same firmware. They look and operate the same and use the same programming cable and Win500 programming software works on both radios. The best recommendation I can make is to get a really good antenna mounted as high as you can get it and really good coax. I am using the Radio Shack Discone but not the best reception around 160 mhz.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I've had a couple of Pro-652's here to program and they both seemed identical to my 197. They worked great.

emessick3

Have had no trouble with the Pro-652, but I need some assistance in programming: The new FIRST system in Maryland has 700 MHz splinter channels; my local control channel is 773.84375. Frequencies go in OK, but no demodulation. Is there a custom table to use?

N8IAA

Have had no trouble with the Pro-652, but I need some assistance in programming: The new FIRST system in Maryland has 700 MHz splinter channels; my local control channel is 773.84375. Frequencies go in OK, but no demodulation. Is there a custom table to use?

You will need to take back the 652 and get the Whistler 1080. The FIRST system is a complete Phase II system. All the TGID's are 'T'dma, not 'D'igital. That is how you will tell it is Phase II.
Larry

emessick3

Pr0-652

Thanks, Larry. The R/S manual lists Phase II compatibility; I guess I need to do some more research (didn't really NEED another scanner!).

Control Channel decodes frequencies in the 850 MHz range; appears to need a custom table like was required for the rebanding process.

Stay tuned!

Gene

N8IAA

Thanks, Larry. The R/S manual lists Phase II compatibility; I guess I need to do some more research (didn't really NEED another scanner!).

Control Channel decodes frequencies in the 850 MHz range; appears to need a custom table like was required for the rebanding process.

Stay tuned!

Gene

Gene, there are no 850MHz frequencies for FIRST. They are all 700MHz frequencies. What system are you trying to monitor?
Downloaded the manual from the RS site. Can you point me to the page that says it decodes Phase II?
Larry

emessick3

Larry, I may have misread the notes I found. The manual states "Motorola Type I/II/III" on page 65. Anyway, the FIRST system has 6 frequencies in Talbot CO, MD, all in the 770 MHz range. My scanner decoded a "850.400" frequency; obviously in error. I'm assuming something else going on, maybe interference or intermod. The system won't be entirely operational for a couple of years yet, so I have some time. In the meantime, the 652 does a dandy job with our digital trunking system (Upper Shore Consortium). Thanks for your input; & 73 from Gene, K3SVA

Status
Not open for further replies.