Quick question before I install Disc Tap on Pro 163

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETMegabyte

I asked a bit ago about whether a dicriminator tap would do what I want it to do, and the answer I got was yes, so I'll not re-ask the question. However...

Because of my non-steady hands, my ability to solder it in is impossible, so I'm having a friend do it for me on Thursday morning. In preparation of that, however, I pulled the scanner apart, located TP4, and using test leads, connected an external speaker to both ground and TP4.

When I did that, the scanner stopped scanning, and the squelch opened up (I heard static through the external speaker). I admit that for the current test, there is no resistor inline (it's just a test lead to an alligator clip to an external speaker), and I'm not sure if that's what the resistor will fix, but I wanted to ask the question anyway.

If I install this discriminator tap to TP4, using a 10k resistor, will the radio stop scanning whenever a speaker is connected to the new jack I put on the back of the scanner? My goal is a constant-level audio output, but the squelch has to remain functional and the scanner still needs to scan... If this is not so, then a scanner that doesn't scan doesn't do me much good :(

Please help

Thanks

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The outlet for the tap does not usually go directly to a speaker. On my Pro 96, I feed the sound card with a cable and what ever software you use converts it to audio that plays through the computer speakers or headphones. The tap may also feed a dongle for other listening. I use mine mostly for DMR decoding.

ETMegabyte

That is my intended solution as well. The disc output is intended to go to the sound card input on my computer. I just want to be sure that the scanner will continue to scan when I make that connection. I was expecting a super-low audio out when i connected TP4 directly to a speaker (since it's a line level output and not an amplified output), but I did not expect it to open the squelch and stop scanning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.