Software for 651.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Good morning all. It seems as my win 500 software has a problem. I purchased the software in nov 2010 for my Pro 197. When i try to use it, it says my trial period has expired. what gives?? Have sent emails to Win500@starrsoft.com with no replies. If they are not forthcoming in a solution, i may be forced to buy more software. The Win 500 was easy to use for me. what are your thoughts on other brands?

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
Why not just reactivate it? You did keep your serial number correct?

From Don's website at Win500: Management, Monitoring, and Control Software for the GRE PSR-500/600 Digital Scanners

"When you register, you will be issued a unique key that will allow Win500 to run past its 30-day trial period. DO NOT LOSE THIS KEY. You will need it any time you wish to install Win500 (new computer, new operating system, computer crash, etc.). We do not re-issue registration keys apart from the initial email."

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
It will not reactivate. Keeps saying trial period has ended. I purchased the software. One time it says that is not a valid key. the next few times it said user name was wrong. I have the key. I have a premium sub from Radio reference and that is where I get my freq's from. Am i wrong in thinking i can upload them straight from there without the need of programing software. I cloned the 651 from my 197. wise871 helped me quite a few years back getting it started.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
I would delete your current install and download a new copy, and no, you can't go from RR directly to the scanner.

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Thanks NHDave. I have a few days that I can wait to hear from them. Not a real big problem. The 651 is up and running good. Just thinking down the road when i take the 651 on trips and need to add freq's or if a new one pops up in the local area. I have a BC125 that has close call on it that picks up close calls in the local area. The 651 has the signal stalker also. Always looking for new frequencies.

Last edited:

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
In the manual for the 651, it says you can use Radio ref like i said straight to the scanner. I'll check into it.

Update on the Win 500 software. It was a error on my part and not win soft. Was putting in the wrong info and there was one letter that was a number. My bad. guess i am getting old.

Last edited:

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, i agree john. The age here is 68 pushing hard on 69. All of the old brain cells have been used over and over while working for the Fed Govt for 43 years. Been retired since 2008. Between the wifes computers and my computers, My scanners and my ham radio stuff. Nothing works real good been overused a lot. Not a lot stays in there anymore.

John

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
In the manual for the 651, it says you can use Radio ref like i said straight to the scanner. I'll check into it.

As NHdave mentioned, it's not possible to connect your scanner straight to the RR database without third party software.

What page in the 651 manual did you see that it says you can? Maybe a mis-print in there?

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
To quote the manual "The simplest method for programming a new scanner is using a USB sync cable, which is available at your local RadioShack store. The cable lets you use software provided by RadioReference.com and their constantly updated database to program your new scanner quickly and easily."

It's pretty clear that it can't do a direct transfer from RR. Although why it states that the software is provided by RR I can't say.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Page 18 and 19 in the manual.

John

That is saying software "and" the database is used to program your scanner. The part where they say that the software is "provided by" RR might be a bit misleading, the software (ARC software from Butel) is actually available "through" RR at this link:

RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

There is no way possible to program your scanner with a direct download connection to the RR database. Third party software in combination with the database is the only way to do it.

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for clearing that up. It sure seemed like I programmed my old pro 97 that way. straight from RR. Must have been speed reading when i read that page. Was ready to get the 651 up and running. I TRY to read all of the manuals when I buy stuff so I kind of know what I am doing. This 651 is the same as my 197 desk top scanner. I was able to connect the dot's in my old brain and get Win 500 to open. Was reading the key wrong.An 8 looked like an E. Does not get any better as we get older. As they they say in the AF. Pilot error.

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Gommert. i already have the Win500 software that I purchased a while back. I cloned my 651 from my 197 with the 1/8 to 1/8 stereo cable. Downloaded from the scanner to the software this morning. The only issue right now is the rechargable battery pack ( yellow one) is defective.

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Took my 651 with me to RS to change out the rechargeable battery holder and they changed out the whole scanner. said it might be defective because of the battery holder. Said it may have been a returned one that got back into their system. The box did look a little ragged. Not a problem for me.

nccowboy

Premium Subscriber
Same issure...can not get past expired trial to add key codes...deleted and downloaded latest ver..still no luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.