Speaker hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nozzleman71

Premium Subscriber
Hope this is the right place to post if not would a Mod please move.
I am looking for a extension speaker for a Pro 96. I know there are several out there but the one I am looking for is one like I had before but was lost in a move I believe. It looks almost like a radio mic and could be badged as Radio Shack or Realistic. It just plugs into ear phone port. I have looked on craigslist and ebay with no luck. If anybody can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance . Erik

Nozzleman71

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I have that one but when it is plugged in to the radio the sound is very quiet. I know it adjust but even at full volume it is still quiet. I know the one i am looking for was always loud. Thanks for the reply though, i appreciate it.

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Temp fix for low volume...

While you're looking for that particular RadShack lapel speaker, here's a quick fix for the low volume on the speaker... a bread tie wire. A few wraps around the antenna base, then a few wraps around the speaker plug. That's how I have my PRO-96 hooked up.

Have a look at the pics in this thread...

http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/31904-pro-97-speaker-vs-external-speaker.html

Good luck finding that lapel speaker--I think you're probably right for looking at eBay--that's probably the only place to find them, now.

Good luck!

Nozzleman71

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for the info, it really helps. I will try the bread tie trick and look for the specific model number as well. I knew I could count on RR members to help me out. Thanks again

ChetsJug

The Way to Go

Motorola old school is the only way to go. I had this antique speaker for years and finally used it on a CB I couldn't hear very well. Oh My Goodness! It was like going HD; I heard ever thing out there in clear natural tone. Not too bassy, not too tinny. It sounds like the person is in the room with you.

They're not cheap, but you'll never go back. The truck stops sell a "Road Pro" knock off for $50. $20 more on ebay and you'll have the real deal :p

Vintage Motorola CB Radio External Speaker | eBay

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Motorola old school is the only way to go. I had this antique speaker for years and finally used it on a CB I couldn't hear very well. Oh My Goodness! It was like going HD; I heard ever thing out there in clear natural tone. Not too bassy, not too tinny. It sounds like the person is in the room with you.

They're not cheap, but you'll never go back. The truck stops sell a "Road Pro" knock off for $50. $20 more on ebay and you'll have the real deal [emoji14]

Vintage Motorola CB Radio External Speaker | eBay
You can usually pick those up for $10 or less a piece at a hamfest. Sometimes you get mounting brackets, sometimes you don't. I have a handful of them along with some of the newer plastic ones from the 80's.

Nozzleman71

Premium Subscriber
anybody got a guess as to which to wires to run to the 1/8 speaker plug ? Trying to research every ave available and haven't been to successful. TIA

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 496

DickH

anybody got a guess as to which to wires to run to the 1/8 speaker plug ? Trying to research every ave available and haven't been to successful. TIA

There should be two terminals right on the speaker. Those are the two wires you need to use.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
And so we are sacrificing a Moto PS mic?

Identical case to my Jedi series but I'm not sure which connector is on the radio side.

Nozzleman71

Premium Subscriber
And so we are sacrificing a Moto PS mic?

Identical case to my Jedi series but I'm not sure which connector is on the radio side.

The mic was an old out of service mic that was broken at connector to radio. It still receives and thats all I needed it for. The wires I used were the blue and red. They were the two that ran from circuit board inside of the coax. There were two separate wires that ran to speaker from the circuit board.

minh6710

Nozzleman, what scanner are you using that with? I have a uniden bcd436hp and the audio output from the earphone jack is very low. I tried using an old speaker mic from another radio with a 3/32 to 1/8 adapter and the audio volume is not very loud. Were you able to get loud audio out with your mod?

Nozzleman71

Premium Subscriber
I am using a Pro 96. The moto speaker works pretty good but I also tried the bread tie trick and that works very well.

DJ11DLN

I think the OP was wanting one for carry-around use. I made one from a lapel mic myself...stupidly bought one of those $7 knock-offs from Kawamall a couple of years ago to use on my TK-2312. The mic part died after a few incidents but I'm a packrat so I didn't toss it...a few weeks later it occurred to me to rewire it for my scanners. Works pretty well at full volume.

For fixed use, just get a set of orphaned computer speakers and a wall wart to power them. Cheap and effective.

minh6710

Nozzleman,

Thanks for the reply! I think I read somewhere that the bread tie / paperclip trick might damage the BCD436HP. Which is too bad because the sound output from the headphone jack is disappointingly low to a portable external speaker. I'm tempted to try it, but I don't want to risk damaging my radio :( I understand the need to have a volume limiter to prevent hearing damage but it would be nice to have an option in the menu to shut it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.