Pro-651/652 firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

byndhlptom

Gentlemen

I'm trying to ressurrect two scanners that have been apparently bricked by previous owners. The are both stuck in the CPU upgrade screen with "waiting for PC/IF" port message.

Does anyone have a copy of the RS firmware that I can load into these units?

With RS closing shop, their repair centers are apparently not accepting units for repair, is Whistler able/willing to offer either a repair or copy of the firmware option?

Do I just have two parts units now????

thanks for any help.

TAbirdman

During the start up, can you press 3 to see the firmware specs? Just wondering how locked up it is.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I wouldn't immediately call it a parts unit as it will most likely still work if you can get your hands on the firmware. That being said, there is no known firmware update for the Pro-651/652 as RadioShack needs to tell Whistler that they want a firmware "update" for their scanners. Whistler likely doesn't have the rights to release the firmware without RadioShack's approval since it's technically RadioShack's product.

I'd probably keep pestering RadioShack support until they do so because it's a little ridiculous that so many units are being bricked by people and support can make it all go away by simply asking for the update file from Whistler.

byndhlptom

Pro-651/652

Unfortunately, options are quickly disappearing

RS says they have no repair service anymore. Support page doesn't even open for me......

Whistler says that RS is still a company and they can't help......

maybe I'll get lucky......

thanks

tom

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber
Gentlemen

I'm trying to ressurrect two scanners that have been apparently bricked by previous owners. The are both stuck in the CPU upgrade screen with "waiting for PC/IF" port message.

With RS closing shop, their repair centers are apparently not accepting units for repair, is Whistler able/willing to offer either a repair or copy of the firmware option?

thanks for any help.

Have You tried ahard reset??????

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Not quite sure why it is ridiculous that RS has no support to fix a firmware bricked radio which was likely intentionally bricked by it's owner trying to apply a Whistler/GRE update to it.

Blackswan73

I'm not a lawyer, but It seems to me the the IP of the firmware belongs to Whistler, not Radio Shack. Radio Shack only licensed it from Whistler. Since RS service is closed, down, it would seem that license would revert back to the owner who licensed it out, in this case, Whistler.

daman1

Not quite sure why it is ridiculous that RS has no support to fix a firmware bricked radio which was likely intentionally bricked by it's owner trying to apply a Whistler/GRE update to it.
That's just good practice for a given co. to provide help for a product whether the problem is self inflicted or not, I see this allot with GPS units.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
So what exactly does this mean?

Is this purely a "bricked" unit issue? Is my firmware update not going to happen any other way for the 652 I just got?

Blackswan73

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I purchased a 651 last week. RS is done, stick a fork in it. There likely won't be any support from them. I am going to sell my 651 on eBay. Brand new used less than 10 hours

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I said it before I can not name names but Whistler is talking to Radioshack about the best way to handle this. As we speak Radioshack still is a company 3 Companies are bidding for Radioshack #1Sprint with the Radioshack name to be co-branded Sprint/Radioshack #2 Another cellphone company making offers #3 amazon is also looking into buying so Radioshack still owns the rights to the new Whistler built scanners. Whistler still wants to help but right now there is no options.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
That's just good practice for a given co. to provide help for a product whether the problem is self inflicted or not, I see this allot with GPS units.

Please don't misunderstand my comment, it was directed at a post above mine, which I neglected to quote. But you said it right there - "good practice". RS is in liquidation, so the people who are running things probably have support of anything RS waaaaaaay down at the bottom of the list.

The future is uncertain, but not long ago we all were convinced GRE would not return. When Whistler acquired the IP there was hope, and even an update for a non-Whistler branded scanner. Once the dust settles, maybe a year from now, perhaps Whistler will get the rights to sell "Radio Shack" scanners and once again there will be hope.

If the 65x radios I have die for that reason, then it's on me for fully knowing in advance there is at this time, no way to recover them. They work fine, decode better than others on a single P25 channel I monitor, so the lack of firmware isn't on *my* priority list. I am sorry there is no solution for those that bricked theirs. But it sounds like yours were not intentionally bricked trying to apply the Whistler firmware?

Won't surprise me in the least if some enterprising person finds a way to extract a current working firmware from the 65x series radios, and post the file for download for the low price of $179.95

Dan_M

Premium Subscriber
Gentlemen

thanks for any help.
I called Whistler today hoping to for some alternate help with a firmware update. I was told that the only way they can support this scanner, is if radio shack either turns over the rights or go's out of business entirely. However they offer a trade in program for any old scanner to get a discount on any new Whistler scanner.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I am confused you are sending a good working scanner back because someone else broke their scanner. That would be like taking your good running car back because some fool got drunk and wrecked his car and the dealer car manufacturers would not fix it for free. Your scanner will work as long as it is taken care of.

fyrfyter33

I happily got a Pro-651 today. Better than my old Pro-96, and it was on clearance for $80, at the 80% off reduction price. Even without a firmware upgrade, I think I got a great deal!

Now time to get Win500 running and get this fired up!

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I got a new 651 last week on ebay for $219.99 shipped, so you did a really good deal!!!, im running the Win500 software aswell.

I had a Pro-106 for few years till it recently died. So i got a Home Patrol 1, never have fully liked it, my 106 had GREAT reception in the car or at home, where the HP-1, tends to have more garbled traffic, especially in the car. and i hate that. My new 651 does just as great as my 106 did, so im VERY HAPPY!!!

I put the HP-1 up for sale, i like my 651 so much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.