Pro-652: PRO-652 Bricked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Hello all ~ I've read about a few of these "bricked" 652 units and I'm wondering what exactly the issue would be with them.

Do they just lock up right from the get-go and not work at all or is it other types of performance issues?

I just got a brand new 652 from RS (at least as far as I can tell it appears to be) and though it is receiving transmissions and the audio is loud and clear, I've noticed that with my trunked system the "T" that should be showing is not there, nor is the 4-5 signal bars I get with my 197 and other units (various antennas/mobile/base setups). I updated my PSRedit500 for the 652 and used the same 197 "file" to load into it. Should I have opened a completely new/different file for the 652 or would the 197 file be ok?

Any thoughts as to whether this is a "bricked" issue or software settings-related?

Thank you.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply bud.

I was aware of that but I didn't do a firmware update. I just took it out of the box and loaded the scanlist file from my updated psredit software. That's why I'm wondering what the "symptoms" of a bricked unit is supposed to be, and if I got "defective"/used unit from RS.

Blackswan73

Not all the 651/652 radios are bricked because someone tried to update them. I personally know of one 652 that became bricked because the person left the radio on when he shut off his car. When he turned it back on, the sudden surge bricked the radio. The radio flashed, went blank, then reverted to the "waiting for update" screen. Fortunately, he had just purchased the radio the week before, and was able to exchange it. Apparently a sudden power glitch can brick these radios.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
These radios will get a little goofy when cycling power via ignition. My 197 will occasionally say "low voltage" if I forget to turn it off "manually", until I recycle it with the power knob. It doesn't do it every time though. I haven't seen what you're describing but maybe that's only with the "new" versions of these units.

However, it appears that my issue was using the software settings I had for the 197 file within the psredit500 software. So here's a little help if anyone else is having the type of issue I described with a 652- open a new file with factory default settings first, then you can import the scanlists from the other file if you wish.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks spit

I'll take a look over there and see if there's anything else I can do with it. I know my 197 seemed to do the same type of thing when I first got that but since I adjusted some settings it's been real good.

I just assumed the same settings would work with the 652 version but maybe/apparently not.

Right now I'm not too impressed. I'd like to get it working before I have to return it.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Yes spit, looks like the same type of issues I'm having. I did the factory reset as well but I'll have to get into this later today to compare the numbers and see what/if I can do differently.

Thanks again.

TAbirdman

I just got a brand new 652 from RS (at least as far as I can tell it appears to be) and though it is receiving transmissions and the audio is loud and clear, I've noticed that with my trunked system the "T" that should be showing is not there, nor is the 4-5 signal bars I get with my 197 and other units (various antennas/mobile/base setups). I updated my PSRedit500 for the 652 and used the same 197 "file" to load into it. Should I have opened a completely new/different file for the 652 or would the 197 file be ok?

Any thoughts as to whether this is a "bricked" issue or software settings-related?

Thank you.
The problem is you used the 197 file with its default settings. The RS 651/652 use a different chip set which controls the signal strength. To correct it in the unit:
PGM/FUNC/F3 scroll down to RSSI bar 1-5
Values should be Bar1 = 190, bar2=230, bar3 = 260, bar4 =290, bar5=320

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Thank you birdman

Yes, I created a new/separate 652 file and have those numbers plugged in and it resolved the issues I was describing.

So should I assume the P25 multi-site settings would be different as well? I'm using the same values I have for the 197 and it doesn't receive anywhere close to what my 197 gets.

TAbirdman

those settings should be the same. Try swapping antennas? It could be product variation - your 197 sensitivity could be above a set limit and the RS could be lower. Its like taking similar cars down the 1/4 mile some are just going to be quicker.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies birdman. True. Definitely a difference between mobile and base setups. I've tried a few different variations.

My 197 I got working pretty well mobile but the 652 ain't doin it, and it's not out-performing my 996 or 536 at home so I can't justify keeping it. $75 probably, but not $285.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Just to clarify the 2.6 firmware units use the same signal bar numbers as the 106-197's.
Its the 2.8 firmware that uses the numbers in comment # 10.

Ive seen this personally as well.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Ronaldski, I don't remember how to check the firmware version but I'm not sure it's going to make much difference.

I like the performance I'm getting after tweaking the 197 for my work mobile so I thought I'd get the "new" version of it for a base at home. I can't get it to do anywhere near what even my old analog uniden or RS units are doing so there isn't much point in keeping it. Too bad really. The thing is, I had the same thing happen with the 197.

I should mention that my local digital trunked system is not the problem. That comes in loud and clear, no issues. I got it more for analog "standard" monitoring, local and distant, but it just won't pull anything in well at all.

I guess these units just don't like to be tied down. ;)

shadow7g

Bricked

Bricked means that the radio is not working at all, its a paper weight, a door stop, a $400 coaster, a brick. It is happening mostly because people are trying to update Whistler made scanners with GRE firmware. I never update firmware unless something is not working or it gives me a new useful function, If it aint broke dont fix it! If anybody has a bricked pro 651 or pro 652 Ill buy it from you cheap.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Ok shadow, that's what I figured but wanted to make sure. Thank you.

My issue was using the 197 file in my software instead of creating a new 652 file. It resolved the problem I described but still suffered other reception issues (poor analog vhf/pulling in distant signal) that I just don't have the time for.

mooglide

Premium Subscriber
Bricked pro-651

All I did on my (out of warranty) R@@IO SLACK pro-651 was reset it to factory settings as per the instructions and when it restarted it was waiting for the firmware update ?? I have been trying to contact them and was promised a e-mail back that was over 5 weeks ago and I'm still waiting !! I have been posting to them on FB showing my DISAPOINTMENT but no help there either,,, they have no tech support or firmware download, for some reason they do not want to help.. and worse yet they are continuing to sell these without telling the consumers of the TERRIBLE ISSUES that can and WILL occur !!! but yet they want your $$$$$$ .. I am so disgusted with this because of how much $$$$$ these are and no help from them .. if any one reads this PLEASE drop them a line on FB tell them u read a post here and let them know how wrong it is ,WE have other choices , buy a Whistler !! I talked to someone there, because I read somewhere that was who manufacture these for R@@io-SLACK,, and they have firmware updates for Whistler brand but r@@io slack refuses to release the firmware for the 651 ???? if you own one BE CAREFUL HOW YOU USE IT, THERE IS NO SUPPORT FOR IT or no place to send it in for repair, at least I haven't found any, and if someone does,, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ... thanks for reading ..

Status
Not open for further replies.