Pro-668: Need help fixing a pairing/driver issue for the Pro 668

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Recently I purchased a RadioShack Pro 668 digital scanner. Not until yesterday did I ever decide to use the RadioShack software to upload current RR talk groups/frequencies. I have only used the SD Micro card pre-downloaded info to scan.

My problem occurred immediately when trying to pair the scanner to the computer. A icon at the lower right hand side popped up saying that the device is not recognized. So now I cannot upload any new frequencies into the scanner due to this error. The USB driver update says that there is no drivers uploaded to the device; hence why it cannot recognize it as a product. RadioShack also does not have the drivers to download via online so im screwed with that.

Can someone please help me? I've contacted RadioShack's Live Support and they referred me to here. They did make mention that it MAY work if I go ahead and purchase a external SD micro card reader cause it will be bypassing the scanner all together which is not needed in the process of uploading frequencies and changing characteristics on the scanner.

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
What is the computer and OS? There are several forums on here for this problem.

marksmith

Take your SD card out of the scanner. Make a subdirectory on your computer (I did mine under documents). Then copy the contents of the SD card into the new folder on your pc. This stuff contains the drivers you need. You might need sn adaptor to insert to your pc.

Then plug the scanner in while its turned OFF. The time should be showing. Your computer will try to install drivers. It won't find them at windows site. It should if it continues to check your pc.

If not... go to device manager in control panel. Find your device which should have a yellow icon signifying it can't find a driver. Click on it and say install driver... and point it to where you saved the SD card stuff. If it checks your pc in any mode it should find the drivers and install.

Mark
536HP/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT
996T/396XT(2)/PSR800/PRO668

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Take your SD card out of the scanner. Make a subdirectory on your computer (I did mine under documents). Then copy the contents of the SD card into the new folder on your pc. This stuff contains the drivers you need. You might need sn adaptor to insert to your pc.

Then plug the scanner in while its turned OFF. The time should be showing. Your computer will try to install drivers. It won't find them at windows site. It should if it continues to check your pc.

If not... go to device manager in control panel. Find your device which should have a yellow icon signifying it can't find a driver. Click on it and say install driver... and point it to where you saved the SD card stuff. If it checks your pc in any mode it should find the drivers and install.

Mark
536HP/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT
996T/396XT(2)/PSR800/PRO668

I am going to have to purchase an SD Micro external card reader. I did go to device manager and try to install the driver but it said the driver(s) were not on the Device. I will have to do the other opinon like you said. Otherwise I maybe screwed, per se.

retropcdos

Premium Subscriber
Recently I purchased a RadioShack Pro 668 digital scanner. Not until yesterday did I ever decide to use the RadioShack software to upload current RR talk groups/frequencies. I have only used the SD Micro card pre-downloaded info to scan.

My problem occurred immediately when trying to pair the scanner to the computer. A icon at the lower right hand side popped up saying that the device is not recognized. So now I cannot upload any new frequencies into the scanner due to this error. The USB driver update says that there is no drivers uploaded to the device; hence why it cannot recognize it as a product. RadioShack also does not have the drivers to download via online so im screwed with that.

Can someone please help me? I've contacted RadioShack's Live Support and they referred me to here. They did make mention that it MAY work if I go ahead and purchase a external SD micro card reader cause it will be bypassing the scanner all together which is not needed in the process of uploading frequencies and changing characteristics on the scanner.

It a unsigned driver issue. Follow directions in link and it will work fine. Make sure scanner is power off when connected to USB. No need to take card out of scanner, After following direction in link. Uninstall driver and then update driver. INF file needed is on SD card, just have it search SD card and it will install. It will give you a red warning message about driver being unsigned, just hit continue.

For Windows 7

How to Install & use unsigned drivers in Windows Vista/7 x64 - TechSpot Forums

Windows 7 - How to install unsigned drivers?

For window 8.1

How to Disable Driver Signature Verification on 64-Bit Windows 8.1 (So That You Can Install Unsigned Drivers)

Last edited:

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
It a unsigned driver issue. Follow directions in link and it will work fine. Make sure scanner is power off when connected to USB. No need to take card out of scanner, After following direction in link. Uninstall driver and then update driver. INF file needed is on SD card, just have it search SD card and it will install. It will give you a red warning message about driver being unsigned, just hit continue.

For Windows 7

How to Install & use unsigned drivers in Windows Vista/7 x64 - TechSpot Forums

Windows 7 - How to install unsigned drivers?

For window 8.1

How to Disable Driver Signature Verification on 64-Bit Windows 8.1 (So That You Can Install Unsigned Drivers)

Thank you. I've tried this method as well as the others stated above and still no luck. I ran a on-board program to diagnose unsigned drivers and my computer stated with the radio plugged in and the error message immanent it still said all the drivers are signed and installed.

retropcdos

Premium Subscriber
Thank you. I've tried this method as well as the others stated above and still no luck. I ran a on-board program to diagnose unsigned drivers and my computer stated with the radio plugged in and the error message immanent it still said all the drivers are signed and installed.

Do the unsigned driver steps and uninstall the driver and reinstall it. It will appear like it installed correctly, but in most case it isn't, Also make sure it installing the driver and not erroring out drivers could not be found. If that the case, the INF is on the SD card. If driver is installed and program not detecting scanner correctly read below. I had this issue with one of them.

Take the batteries out and put back in, so it can reset. Sometime that works. I had one that won't detect correctly and had to pull the batteries and it work after that. Make sure you are not using a 32gb card as notice scanner has weird issues, when you use these cards. Try the factory one and try different USB ports. No reason it sure not detected, unless it is defective. I had a bad one that won't power on correctly, or at all and had to force flash it by going into programming mode. For that you hold the menu button while powering on and did get it working again as won't detect before and gave me weird character's when detecting firmware. Lucky it turn out to be firmware issue and not hardware issue.

Last edited:

retropcdos

Premium Subscriber
This driver will work to, as USB to serial chip they are using, but trick to getting these installed

Virtual COM Port Drivers

You going to need to download and install WinRAR

WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files

Then go to link below and click "SAVE-AS" to windows to desktop, so you can see it

Virtual COM Port Drivers

Then right click on EXE you just downloaded it say "CDM v2.12.00 WHQL Certified" and click "Extract here"

Then go to driver manager and click "update driver"

Then click "Browse my computer for driver software"

Then click "Let me pick from list of drivers on my computer"

Then click "Have Disk"

Then click "Browse"

Then click on "Desktop"

Then select "ftdiport"

Then click "open"

Then click "OK"

Then click "Next"

On warning pop up click "Yes"

Click "Yes" on red warning about unsigned driver

Then click "close"

It sure work, if not, you scanner serial controller IC maybe defective.

Ed6698

Should be able to copy the INF file off the sd card while in scanner. Then follow the installing unsigned driver installation. The INF file needs to be copied off scanner sd card and copied to computer first. The computer should see the scanner sd card as a drive before copying the INF file. I followed this method installing on Win 8.1 x64.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Okay I didn't want to leave anyone in the dark. Okay I did happen to just buy a MicroSD card adapter to standard SD card slot holder. My computer does read the MicroSD card and its files.

I haven't gotten to try some of the other methods but I will.. Hope something works here

Ed6698

Like retro said, you need to get it to work without card reader or no firmware updates will be possible. The computer will be able to see sd card in scanner without driver installed, the INF file needs to be copied off it..

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Do the unsigned driver steps and uninstall the driver and reinstall it. It will appear like it installed correctly, but in most case it isn't, Also make sure it installing the driver and not erroring out drivers could not be found. If that the case, the INF is on the SD card. If driver is installed and program not detecting scanner correctly read below. I had this issue with one of them.

Take the batteries out and put back in, so it can reset. Sometime that works. I had one that won't detect correctly and had to pull the batteries and it work after that. Make sure you are not using a 32gb card as notice scanner has weird issues, when you use these cards. Try the factory one and try different USB ports. No reason it sure not detected, unless it is defective. I had a bad one that won't power on correctly, or at all and had to force flash it by going into programming mode. For that you hold the menu button while powering on and did get it working again as won't detect before and gave me weird character's when detecting firmware. Lucky it turn out to be firmware issue and not hardware issue.

I did try to uninstall the driver. Then I did re-install it. Not even 3 seconds from that it comes up unknown device.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Like retro said, you need to get it to work without card reader or no firmware updates will be possible. The computer will be able to see sd card in scanner without driver installed, the INF file needs to be copied off it..

I copied INF file off of the card and its directly on my desktop as a link. It is still giving me issues and nothing has changed

retropcdos

Premium Subscriber
I did try to uninstall the driver. Then I did re-install it. Not even 3 seconds from that it comes up unknown device.

You have to manually install it by going to device manager and locating driver INF from card. Scanner sure still detect as mass storage device and you sure see a drive letter with the RadioShack program. If you don't, then stick card in card reader and copy the card to desktop. Then put SD card back in scanner and while scanner is power off and manually install it and direct it to that folder with the INF file. It sure install then.

Sure come up with RadioShack PRO-668 ID name, even with driver not installed. If you getting "unknown device", or "malfunctioning device". Then it could be the USB port, bad cable, or controller IC in scanner could be defective. I would also try it on different computer, if available to rule out scanner.

Ed6698

This is from the Whistler website, should work with a 688 I believe.. The procedure should almost be the same for Win 7.

1.) When you are signed in to Windows 8 / 8.1 as Administrator connect the WS1080. It will then attempt to load the driver and appear to succeed but the driver will not be working at that point. Even though the serial driver is not correctly installed you will still see the scanner’s MicroSD card.

2.) Copy the INF folder from the WS1080 to a folder on your computer

3.) In Windows 8.0 While on the start load the Charms Bar by pointing the mouse at the upper right hand corner of the screen.

4.) Select Power and hit restart while holding down the Shift key.

5.) A selection of Troubleshooting options will come up, select the Troubleshoot option

6.) Another page will appear, select Advanced Options.

7.) The next page will display several repair options, Select the Startup Settings to change the behavior of Windows Startup and then click restart on the next page.

8.) A menu with 9 selections will appear. Select #7 or F7 to disable Driver Signature enforcement.

9.) Windows 8 will restart.

10.) With the WS1080 still connected open Device Manager from the Control Panel. Select the Com port assigned to the 1080 and select Update Driver.

11.) Select Browse and point it to the .inf file located within the INF folder you copied from the 1080.

12.) Install this Driver. An alert screen will pop up to warn you that this is an unsigned driver, Select install anyway. This will load the unsigned driver and allow it to work with EZScan

13.) Check to see if it is working by Starting EZScan and selecting Scanner SD Card and select to set the Real Time Clock to Computer time.

retropcdos

Premium Subscriber
What do you mean copied as a link? the file just needs to be copy and pasted to desktop.
Right click and Copy the folder and then right click and paste it to desktop. I would also copy everything on the SD card. Just create a folder and name it "R/S pro-668 backup" and copy paste everything from the SD card to that folder, or drag it over.

Status
Not open for further replies.