Pro-668: SD card issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd4cks

I know this topic has been visited many times - I've read all of them on this board. Here's my problem. I've tried everything mentioned but have had no success with several microSD cards I've tried. Probably even hosed a couple of cards, or at least they need more work than I know how to do. So, I have a couple of questions...

1. I have one that I formatted on my laptop and copied my working card's contents onto installed in the scanner and it's stuck on the 'Init SD FileSys' screen. Is it doing something and will boot up after a while (I know wait times are long with this thing sometimes), or does that mean this card isn't going to work either?

2. Tell me what exactly is supposed to work and I'll make sure I'm doing it right...

Thanks in advance!!!

BTW, I really like this radio, but boy is it picky with the cards!

Joe
KD4CKS

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
Did you format the card through the software with "Prepare scanner/memory SD card for use"?

Blackswan73

What size card? Takes about 1 sec per GB on boot. Yes, it is picky with the cards. Most folks have found Scandisk works best.

kd4cks

I have used the PRO-668 software, Windows 7, and SD Formatter to format the card and nothing worked in the scanner. Card looks fine, just doesn't work.

I've tries a 4Gb card (I think it's bad), two different 8Gb cards, and a 32Gb card (which the laptop will no longer recognize).

And it's still hung, so I guess this one isn't going to work...

Blackswan73

Use a card reader. Do not leave card in scanner to format. Use SD formatter, not the Windows formatter, then use Iscan software to prepare card for use. Wait til card is done, then right click on the card in my computer and click eject.

kd4cks

I will try and post results (probably tonight or tomorrow)...

NYG

Definitely stick with a card reader and prep the card through the software as suggested.

I fought with a few cards for hours and never got them working, then within minutes had a newly purchased 32GB Samsung card working.

The PRO-668 will have you pulling your hair out using cheaper quality cards.

kd4cks

got one to work - thanks for the help! had to go with SanDisk...

Cognomen

I have a couple of Sandisk 16GB class 4 cards. Is class 4 good enough? Any downside to using a 16GB card?

Otherwise I can buy 8GB class 10 cards for less than Cdn$10 as they are on sale right now.

Waiting for my PRO-668 to arrive and just want to have everything in place.

JustLou

I'm using a Kingston 4GB Class 10 card, and it works fine. I haven't seen too much difference between it and the stock Class 4 card other than updating the database seems quicker.

Cognomen

Just wanted to report that both the 16GB class 4 and the 8GB class 10 Sandisk cards worked fine. This was with preparing the cards via the Radio Shack software, quick-formatting the cards via an external card reader (desktop) and an internal card reader (laptop).

I am using the 8GB as it allows the scanner to boot faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.