Pro-668 best battery settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngel

So I have researched around different threads and have not found an answer to my problem. My new NiMH energizer batteries only seem to last at the most 4 hrs with constant use. My batter meter will go from half to dead and the unit just shuts off then no warning or anything.

In the software to program it i can see the battery icon settings. Does anyone have any good numbers to set the meter in the advanced settings? Has anyone else noticed this problem with their pro-668.

GrumpyGuard

What size battery are you using? (ie 1000mAh, 1500 mAh ect.) If you are using the 1000 mAh batteries you will get about 4 hours of use. My suggestion is to use the 2500 mAh batteries for longer life.

marksmith

Search for the same problem in the forums under psr-800.
same radio and known issue. A couple different sets of numbers to enter are out there. Solved a while back in gre radio. First I've heard in 668.

Mark
536/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT/396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you have all the updates for firmware. Firmware 2.6 for WS1080 had a NiMH battery fix. I'm sure the other's like PSR-800 and Pro-668 have one too. Trouble was even after updating the scanner the EZSCAN form itself did not change. Instead of typing them in, I knew the scanner had the right updates for the battery, I simply downloaded the Scanner to the EZScan form "Copy Configuration from Scanner/SDcard" and THEN the new numbers showed up in the battery grid on EZScan. If I hadn't done that, the next time I uploaded EZScan to the scanner I would have had the old numbers again. THIS thread discusses the battery improvements on the WS1080 http://forums.radioreference.com/gr...mware-2-6-available-3-3-15-a.html#post2353736
anyhoo....here's what I have now for the EZScan battery grid after the firmware update. Battery life improved greatly after the firmware update. I'm also using PowerEX 2700 mAh from Maha and 2500 mAh enercells from Radio Shack. The numbers aren't any good without the firmware update I would guess.
NiMH Alkaline
14 bars 4.90 5.26
12 bars 4.80 4.99
10 bars 4.70 4.84
8 bars 4.60 4.73
6 bars 4.50 4.62
4 bars 4.40 4.53
2 bars 4.30 4.46
0 bars 4.20 4.21
Alert 4.18 4.08

Last edited by a moderator:

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I get a lot less battery life in the 668 than I do with my 106 and PSR-500's scanning the same systems. I don't have the LED lighting up at all on the 668, but the 106/500 has it on about half the time. I get about 8 hours on Duracell 2500ma NiMH on the 668 and nearly 12 on the 106/500 radios. Not too bad. I bought a couple of USB cables and I use them when I can to keep the batteries topped off in the 668. Seems to work pretty well, with only one "Ooops! These batteries are DEAD" occurrance while out in the car. So glad I always carry a couple sets of AA batteries in the car, they have really saved me a couple of times from having to go to 7-11 or Meijer's in the middle of the night to buy a 4 pack of batteries for 2-3 times what I buy them online or from Dollartree for. .

Swipesy

Using Energizer 2300 rechargables in my PSR-500 and PSR-800 with backlight and LED coming on with each hit I was getting 12 hours on PSR-500 and 4 hours on PSR-800. Switched PSR-800 batteries to Panasonic Eneloop 2450 and custom battery chart for 800 and I get 12 hours on PSR-800.

sfatony

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone use or know that it is ok to use 3000 mAh batteries in the Pro-668?

Last edited:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Don't see why not if you can find some that high. In my WS1080 I use the 2700 mAh Powerex from Maha. I have one of their chargers too. Went from 4:30pm to 4:30 am straight, turned it off overnight and still had about 20 minutes or so for the next day. I try and use at least 2500-2700's. Got them at Batteries & Bulbs in a strip-mall nearby. I figured they would have them instead of having to order em. They also have online coupons at that store for money off of purchases

Last edited by a moderator:

TAbirdman

Trouble was even after updating the scanner the EZSCAN form itself did not change. Instead of typing them in, I knew the scanner had the right updates for the battery, I simply downloaded the Scanner to the EZScan form "Copy Configuration from Scanner/SDcard" and THEN the new numbers showed up in the battery grid on EZScan. If I hadn't done that, the next time I uploaded EZScan to the scanner I would have had the old numbers again.

Have you updated EZScan? I believe the last update corrected that.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I updated the day I got the scanner but still have a scanner that loves batteries 2300 mil batteries I checked the battery settings in the software and they are the same or better than what is posted online here. Still a good scanner just battery hungry.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
@TABirdman. Yes, I took care of that when it first came out. I think It was you who reminded me to check EZscan to make sure the battery values changed on the program too, scanner and form are all updated.

kc6kwv

Pro-668 voltages

Unable to get the battery alarm to sound. Tried using may types of batteries but still no luck. Radio dies
when meter shows 2 bars. I remove batteries and check combined voltages and get around 4.85 volts. I
think that my radio requires a higher voltage to run. Not sure where to go from here. I should not have to
adjust meter/alarm settings. Also have issues with the Tucson Police P25 phase II system. Sometimes it comes in others it doesn't. All updates have been done.

ngel

Unable to get the battery alarm to sound. Tried using may types of batteries but still no luck. Radio dies
when meter shows 2 bars. I remove batteries and check combined voltages and get around 4.85 volts. I
think that my radio requires a higher voltage to run. Not sure where to go from here. I should not have to
adjust meter/alarm settings. Also have issues with the Tucson Police P25 phase II system. Sometimes it comes in others it doesn't. All updates have been done.

I have the same issue with my 668. I have the latest firmware which everyone says takes care of this problem but it does not. It will take almost all day to charge my scanner to get it to full capacity. The low battery alert never works, and my scanner will just die without notice. I have also noticed the battery meter never seems to work correctly. I can turn it on one minute will show a full battery, turn it off and then back on 30 sec later and it shows half. Also the most i can get out of constant use is about 2 hours.

Any further solutions?

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Don't charge the batteries in the radio. Use a good charger like the PowerEx one, like this:

MH-C9000 - Maha Energy

I set mine to charge at 1000ma and it takes about 2.5 hours to charge my 2500ma (Funny how that works). I get at least 8 hours of use in my 668 with these batteries. If I charge them in the radio, they never seem to stop charging and don't last even close to 8 hours.

ngel

battery

I get all the "do not charge battery in the radio thing" and needing the right power 2500 mah , however one of my main issues is the fact that the battery meter does not work correctly. Are all of you having the same problem? Alert does work, scanner will just shut off dead. The meter itself is buggy, it does not correspond correctly with the battery power. That is what i am seeing if anyone has a fix for. I have all the battery settings listed here earlier in the post and the most recent update to the scanner.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
ngel have you updated the firmware of your pro668 the updates fix that problem. If you have updated in the past the force the fireware update as I have had an update not load and I was only getting 4 hours or less out of 2450 mil batteries. I forced the update again and it fixed my problem.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
There were two updates. First fixed the EDACS bug, and second recalibrated battery meter
Current:
UP app ver-2.3
DSP app ver.-1.3
DSP VOC ver-1.6

Version 2.4 - June 4, 2015
•Fixed EDACS patching bug.
•Add delay in USB startup required by some USB host hardware.
•Changed algorithm used for battery level icon.
•New default voltages for NiMH icon thresholds.
•Fixed Audio Boost handling for analog frequencies.
•DAC gain changes for digital "too loud" problem
•EDACS ESK detection fixes
•Fixes for password / alarm functions. Changes were not always preserved on power-down.

ngel

There were two updates. First fixed the EDACS bug, and second recalibrated battery meter
Current:
UP app ver-2.3
DSP app ver.-1.3
DSP VOC ver-1.6

Version 2.4 - June 4, 2015
•Fixed EDACS patching bug.
•Add delay in USB startup required by some USB host hardware.
•Changed algorithm used for battery level icon.
•New default voltages for NiMH icon thresholds.
•Fixed Audio Boost handling for analog frequencies.
•DAC gain changes for digital "too loud" problem
•EDACS ESK detection fixes
•Fixes for password / alarm functions. Changes were not always preserved on power-down.

I have this update , however my meter continues to not work correctly, and I never get a low battery alert since i have owned it.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
As stated just because you updated 1 time does not mean it took please update for the second time.
On the General settings page of the software top right hand side of the page what settings do you have for ALERT SETTINGS mine are
MODE BOTH
VOLUME HIGH
LOW BATTERY TIME 30 SECONDS
ADVANCED SETTING BATTERY INDICATOR / ALERT VALUES
VALUE NIHM ALKALINE
14 BARS 4.80 5.26
12 BARS 4.70 4.98
10 BARS 4.60 4.80
08 BARS 4.50 4.68
06 BARS 4.40 4.57
04 BARS 4.30 4.47
02 BARS 4.20 4.34