Pro-164: BEEPING through transmission on one channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeuser

The Wretched
I'm not sure how I did this but one of my channels that monitors commercial air traffic & is fairly active - beeps every couple of seconds during the reception. I'm guessing it's some sort of alert feature? I can't seem to locate anything about how to turn it off, manual & searching pulls up a bunch of EDACS stuff with this Pro-164 model.

Anyone know the secret keypad button to turn the beep off?

Does any other scanner do it? I don't monitor commercial air traffic, so I hope this isn't a dumb question: Any possibilty the broadcasters of this channel decided to begin doing this on their own?

N1BHH

Is it possible this is only happening on just the one frequency? Is it happening on all frequencies? If it is one frequency it is probably not associated with your radio, but the particular system.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
I am not a avionics expert, but many public safety and commercial grade base stations allow for over the air alarm tones. Motorola MTR, Quantar and GTR series will beep if there is an alarm condition. Two beeps indicates a high SWR condition with those stations.

In aviation, they use a different breed of base stations They may include an alarm feature.

Just throwing this out there.

joeuser

The Wretched
Does any other scanner do it? I don't monitor commercial air traffic, so I hope this isn't a dumb question: Any possibilty the broadcasters of this channel decided to begin doing this on their own?

Yeah, my 163 did it also but I have since changed all freqs for it for another monitoring task. I get this frequency on two other rigs, no beeping - it is radio specific

joeuser

The Wretched
Is it possible this is only happening on just the one frequency? Is it happening on all frequencies? If it is one frequency it is probably not associated with your radio, but the particular system.

No just the one frequency - on two different radios - programmed the same way until recently when I get asked the other (163). The freq is monitored elsewhere with no beeping

joeuser

The Wretched
I am not a avionics expert, but many public safety and commercial grade base stations allow for over the air alarm tones. Motorola MTR, Quantar and GTR series will beep if there is an alarm condition. Two beeps indicates a high SWR condition with those stations.

In aviation, they use a different breed of base stations They may include an alarm feature.

Just throwing this out there.

I wonder if just these 164/163 series pick it up & not my others. It is a single beep every other second, roughly...

joeuser

The Wretched
I want everyone to know it is the radio itself making this beep, I'm positive of this. I just do not know how it happened or how to turn it off. Its a channel that I receive frequently not as much as others but not as quiet as others. Its just annoying!

Status
Not open for further replies.