Pro-652: need crystal help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myfirstradio1

Hi! I just bought a pro 652 scanner a week ago. It worked fine for a few hours but then became intermittent and then would not find programed frequencies even though it shows normal scanning on the display. I bought it from a closing radio shack store, no returns. So having experience in electronics, I took the covers off and eyeballed the circuit board carefully, looked ok. Then I gently touched some of the largest parts and the 20.9425 MHz crystal was obviously loose. The solder joint was fine on this crystal but it still wiggled just feeling like a bad solder joint! I carefully unsoldered the crystal from the circuit board and placed it in my crystal oscillator tester. No oscillation occurred. Close inspection of the crystal leads show the lead wires are very loose in its case, both wires moves a good 1/8 inch in and out of the crystal housing. Every crystal I have ever taken apart revealed that that much movement destroys the crystal connection in the crystal housing. Looks like I need a new 20.9425MHz crystal. Does anyone know how and where I can buy another one? Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.